223596 Bullies, 4196 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me rid myself of this Holiday flab

So, I go to Tunisia for a week (all inclusive) and am now only just fitting into trousers that were too big for me a week ago :sad11:

I was planning on keeping up the cardio by running, swimming and playing volleyball but almost came off a Quad bike on the second day and couldn't walk all week.

I'm not interested in crash diets or anything like that but was looking for little tips that could help shed a bit of flab here or a love handle there to get me back to where i was. I have a surprising amount of body fat for someone who trains 5 days a week but that's a matter for another discussion.

I've never put on weight (or more accurately, body fat) on holiday before and have no idea how long it'll take to come off. I wouldn't even ask but my work trousers are only just doing up now and I don't want to have to buy new suits due to me being a pastry guzzling chunky bastard.

Any help appreciated,

Love Fatty
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Over that time frame, almost all of the extra weight is likely to be water. For permanent fat loss, cardio (as suitable for martial artists) is less likely to be helpful than MA specific body composition training and careful examination of diet.

The quickest way to shed spare water weight is to restrict carbohydrate, alcohol and salt intake whilst maintaining healthy 'good fat' protein and veggie intake.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 5:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Water weight huh? I thought it was more likely to be cake weight to be quite honest.

A few people have told me that doing 30 minutes of moderate exercise in the morning and not eating for an hour is a great way of shedding some flab, where do you stand on that one mate?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 6:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Water weight huh? I thought it was more likely to be cake weight to be quite honest.

A few people have told me that doing 30 minutes of moderate exercise in the morning and not eating for an hour is a great way of shedding some flab, where do you stand on that one mate?
    First thing in the morning before eating? I wouldn't reccomend it, you are highly catabolic and it is likely to make it harder to shift some of that weight. Best stick to the usual food rules, i.e. no longer than 2 hours without eating, reduce carbs (stick to wholemeal carbs) good fats and protein etc.

I know its endlessly advocated but Tabata intervals are a really great way to shed weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 6:34pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel

morning cardio seems to work faster for me, but I doubt youd notice a huge effect.

as a word of encouragement, Ive noticed that weight I put on fast seems to come off fast ... it's those last couple of pounds that seem like are ecxtremely hard to take off.

I dont think there are any shortcuts. 3500 calories is a pound of fat. You pretty much have to burn 3500 more calories than you take in to lose a pound of fat ... no real way around that ... not that I know of anyway.

add up your BMR plus calories burned through activity to estimate your break even point. then you can play with balancing your goal weight with calorie deficit in your diet and more/less cardio

find out what your minimum caloric intake should be for proper nutrition to avoid going too low in calories.

counting calories is a pain , but Ive found anything else (regarding fat loss) to be a crapshoot at best. there are some good softwares that make it easier.

you might want to get some calipers and track bodyfat instead of weigth. If you are training hard, you are probably gaining muscle also which weighs a lot more than fat.
    Last edited by muddy; 5/26/2008 6:42pm at .

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 6:41pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAHAHA YOU FAT BASTARD

In other news I doubt any weight gained in the space of a week would be hard to shift, go back to your regular diet and your body should adjust accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 7:12am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Abusivemelon beat me to it.....

I was going to say "get yourself running you fat b*stard" but then I caught sight of myself in the mirror. Oh my word....

So....cut back on the chocolate eclairs and lay off the Guinness...ah, Guinness - I miss it so. Oh well, on with the shoes and once more around the Heath.

BTW, you do know that when you come back from holiday it's normal to hit a slump. To combat this, the best advice I read was to open those bottles you brought back for friends (you need it more), on with the sunglasses and sun hat, kick back, open some brochures and plan your next holiday. Don't fret. The weight will fall off once you get back into your training regimen.

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 7:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha cheers guys. I don't eat chocolate more than once a week and don't drink more than the odd drink so no problems there.

I'm falling asleep in a meeting waiting til I can get back to training tonight.