Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 2:17pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Sean McCorkle is also credited with singlehandedly convincing me never to compete in the "unlimited" division of BJJ tournaments again when I weighed 233 @ the EGO in 2005 and he weighed in at 333 or something ridiculous like that. He actually picked me up by my belt and tossed me backwards off the mats.
    Video or it didn't-- Well, actually, video or it just isn't nearly as funny as it has potential to be.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 7:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a shotokan nuthugger. I am also perfectly willing to concede that without his BJJ skills, Machida wouldn't have the opportunity to showcase his Shotokan striking skillset. The OP's Shotokan will replace BJJ is wrong. It is up to another grappling style (judo, sambo, etc) to unseat BJJ. What Shotokan can challenge is the supremacy of Muay Thai as the strike art of choice for MMA's. Machida's style is a beautiful full contact Shotokan, and his pont sparring background clearly sharpened his distance and timing in a way that confounds traditional MMA strikers. But like I said, take away his BJJ training and you'd never know about his shotokan. All you'd see is him getting taken out a la the early UFC's.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 9:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do think, over time, you will see more shotokan trickle into mma, as the opportunity to do full contact stuff with your karate/etc. is becoming more widely available to average people, and some of them will crossover to mma if/when they learn a ground style. I don't think it will ever be the norm, because karate has it's own organizations and competitions, just like judo.

I do not think, even if Machida becomes champ, you will see kickboxers/etc. crosstraining shotokan for an edge the way you see people from other backgrounds picking up some MT practice to round out their skills. The most basic, universally useful things you could learn in shotokan are going to be learned in boxing or kickboxing. Then there's other stuff that could be useful, but it requires years of foundation building and developing your whole style around it.

I don't think people want to completely reinvent themselves when picking up a supplemental art. They just want something they can train in for 2 mos.-2 years and cherry pick some things to add to their toolbox. It's not that any individual technique that Machida is doing is so weird--it's just his overall style of fighting and how he sets things up that throws ppl off.

So basically, I think we'll see people who have already done karate for a significant number of years either use their karate or have it be an influence on their fighting, but that's it.
    Last edited by maofas; 6/02/2008 9:57am at .

blotter art.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 10:24am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    The most basic, universally useful things you could learn in shotokan are going to be learned in boxing or kickboxing. Then there's other stuff that could be useful, but it requires years of foundation building and developing your whole style around it.
    Why do you belive that this is true?

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only through training bassai dai a hundred times a day for ten years can you learn the secret to Shoto-MMA-Kan.

I like Lyoto Machida because he brings a certain level of controlled calculation to the MMA world...a level achieved in boxing but still rare in MMA.

I'd prefer to see him work on his power to make those point shots count...but I'm sure he knows what he's doing better than I do.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:46am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Only through training bassai dai a hundred times a day for ten years can you learn the secret to Shoto-MMA-Kan.
    I eagerly await the day Lyoto uses the first move of Bassai-dai to tackle his opponent in the Octagon.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567