--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I maek with paint!

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 12:58pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida looked awsome. It was obvious he fought in a 'karteka' influenced style and it was nice to see such a unique fighting style presented in a UFC fight. The pro's and con's to this fighting style are obvious to most people and its interesting to see how this style will match up in the future.

As far as the "Machida=Starnes" posts I have heard about, that is absolutely assinine.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida =/= Starnes because Machida wins, Starnes does not.

Also, Starnes runs away, whereas Machida is elusive.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely missed where Starnes twice came within moments of ending the fight. Maybe I should watch it again?

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 1:07pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tired of 'elusive' already. Tito didnt even TRY to set up his take downs. He looked terrible. Any fighter in the ufc could have stuffed those telegraphed attempts.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 1:09pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a blind crippled slowpoke and 10 being super enhanced roadrunner, how elusive would you rate Machida?
    On a scale of 1 to 10 in elusiveness, Machida rated as BORING.

I've seen other fights of his and been impressed, but against Tito I just thought he sucked it up in the entertainment department. Elusive =/= running away 90% of the time, and that's what he was up to last Saturday. For instance, watch the Bonnar fight again. He was "elusive", but he also engaged. Versus Tito he didn't engage often, which is why I thought that fight sucked for him.

Dagon

YouTube - Stephan Bonnar vs Lyoto Machida

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 1:45pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Machida's style will henceforth be known as "Slide and Hide" (credit to Sean McCorkle from mma.tv for inventing the term)
    Point sparring with aliveness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Shockingly, the vast majority of BJJ players don't fight in the UFC either.

As for 'TMA', Shotokan is a decade younger than BJJ.
    "Traditional" doesent refer to the age of the style, it refers to the training methodology (non aliveness, kata etc...)

"Shockingly, the vast majority of BJJ players don't fight in the UFC either."- You missed my point. If there was one guy that got Tai Chi (or better yet Combat Pilates) to work in an MMA format, there would be thousands of Tai Chi practitioners pointing there fingers and saying "look we were right".....

But anyway Machida hardly fights like a shotokahn fighter..

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 2:13pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Machida's style will henceforth be known as "Slide and Hide" (credit to Sean McCorkle from mma.tv for inventing the term)
    Sean McCorkle is also credited with singlehandedly convincing me never to compete in the "unlimited" division of BJJ tournaments again when I weighed 233 @ the EGO in 2005 and he weighed in at 333 or something ridiculous like that. He actually picked me up by my belt and tossed me backwards off the mats.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 2:16pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gojuJKDdude
    anyway Machida hardly fights like a shotokahn fighter..
    Because I feel like flogging a dead horse today, I would say that although Machida is very, very obviously not your average point sparrer, and he clearly wouldn't be the same if he hadn't crosstrained, done hard sparring, et cetera, there are strategic elements to the way he hangs back and waits for openings, his method of elusiveness (dodging and getting out of the way in a fashion very different from, say, a boxer), and so forth, that relative to the average fighter definitely point in the direction of Shotokan*. (More accurately, I should say that my conceptual arrow points the other way.)

If a fighter bobs, weaves, and throws a lot of uppercuts we'll see a boxing influence; if he pulls guard and works from there we may infer some BJJ; in Machida there are some technical elements of Shotokan karate. This doesn't make him a "pure" karate guy, but it is interesting in indicating some more gems to be gathered from a (somewhat maligned) karate style.

Personally, I also find it more interesting to watch than hang-n'-bang attrition fighting, like some MT guys, kickboxers, and so on; they obviously need great skill to survive it as well as great conditioning, but I prefer watching people demonstrate timing and distancing rather than chin. (This being said, I went from practicing [another branch of] Shotokan to practicing kickboxing. I'm not trying to establish credentials -- I suck at kickboxing and haven't done hard sparring yet; I just want to make it clear that I'm not a Shotokan nuthugger.)

* Or, for all I know, some other forms of karate; it is however rather unlike what I've seen in MT, boxing, Kyokushin, and so on.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast