223612 Bullies, 3708 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weights and Jits

Dudes, I need to draw on your unending fountain of knowledge if I may.

Due to a very understanding GF, I've managed to up my Jits classes to 5 nights a week (mon-fri) at the cost of sacrificing my weights sessions.

We have a gym around the corner from work and I was thinking about going down there 2 lunchtimes a week for 2 full body workouts. I realise that doing weights and jits on the same day will probably leave me mangled for a while but at the moment I don't really have much choice. Spending more time training at the weekend is likely to result in my balls being separated from the rest of me and isn't really an option.

What do you think the best course of action would be? 2 full body workouts? Some kind of 2-day split? Just doing Interval training instead?

Help!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:16am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    honestly, I would just do the workout on non class days ... the GF would just have to understand .... its only a few hours anyway so its hard to imagine a situation where you cant get that small amount of time away.

another option is getting up early while she is asleep and getting them in ... your rest (which is very important) would suffer though.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:28am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if I only roll an hour or so then I can usually manage a pretty decent full body workout on that day at least 3 times a week... now, trying to mix muay thai in there is what REALLY kills me
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input.

Muddy, getting up extra early would likely just leave me shattered all day and be detrimental to my BJJ training.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just use extremely abbreviated training. If you're rolling 5 days a week, your body is already pretty stressed, so you can't slap too much more on top of it.

Pick 2 movements, one upper body, one lower body, and train them on day 1. Pick another two movements that work the antagonist movement, and train them on day 2.

For example.

Day 1
    Squat (Lower body push)
    Bench (Upper body horizontal push)

Day 2
    Deadlit (lower body pull)
    Bent over row (upper body horizontal pull)

You could even get creative, and have a 4 workout routine that you cycle through during the month.

Day A
    Squat (lower body push)
    Bench press (upper body horizontal push)

Day B
    Deadlift (lower body pull)
    Pull-up (upper body vertical pull)

Day C
    Front squat (lower body push)
    Overhead press (upper body vertical push)

Day D
    Stiff legged deadlift (lower body pull)
    Bent over row (upper body horizontal pull)

Keep the volume low, training 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps per exercise. Get 3-5 minutes of rest between sets.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 1:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Emevas, that looks pretty good :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 10:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I played football in college, we would practice 5 days/week and play on the sixth. During the season (it has been years, I hope I'm remembering this correctly) we would lift only 2 times/week, after practice, with the goal of maintaining the strength we gained in the off-season. This was the program developed by the Bengals head weight trainer - who would visit us every year for a couple of weeks.

It seemed to work pretty well. I did maintain most of the pre-season strength and we were league champs 3 of 4 years.

So, maybe try lifting three times per week after the BJJ - presuming you intend not to lift on weekends. This will give you 2 days for maintenance and one day for slow gains.

But I'm no expert - so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Little Lamb; 5/29/2008 10:17pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asriel, you could also take a look at Ross Enamait's work (Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless). Now these two books are mostly on general combat conditional - including both strength and work capacity/anaerobic conditioning. You should be getting the later from jits, so you could steal strength training ideas from it.

Ross' exercises are usually within the 30 minute mark anyways. It would have to be an abbreviated workout as Emevas suggested. Except for those who do it for a living and can take a scheduled break in the middle of the day, there is so much a person can do with MA (or weights) 5 days a week.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info chaps. I've finally been convinced by the mrs to "follow your dreams" and start studying on a personal trainer course so hopefully I'll be able to actually make some active contributions to threads rather than constantly asking for help ;)

('._.)

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 3:34pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice is leaving the bitch that seems to have you by the balls.