Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 10:57am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

link between IT band and lower back pain

Ive got an ongoing (coming and going anyway) back problem where my lower back gets really stiff. Someone on this thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=64258&page=8 got my attention when they suggested that there is a connection between low back pain and the IT band.

Before having back problems, I had IT band syndrom (self diagnosed) and it got better with RICE, then a compression band while running after I was able to run again, and especially helpful, it seemed, was the exercise from Figure 5 in this link: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050415/1545.html

Anyway the IT pain went away to never return (I eventually even ditched the compression band while running), but thats about the time the lower back problem started.

Makes me wonder if I shouldnt incorporate these excercises permanently into my routine.

Anyone know of any related references (articles studies personal experience) linking lower back pain and IT band?
    Last edited by muddy; 5/26/2008 11:01am at .

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:06am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stretch mine multiple times per day as a preventative measure. If I forget to do this, my lower back will stiffen up, as will my left knee.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:10am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    I stretch mine multiple times per day as a preventative measure. If I forget to do this, my lower back will stiffen up, as will my left knee.
    that was your post in the earlier thread that got my attention. thanks for giving me something else to try ... hopefully you've just helped solve an old painful problem for me.

I never would have thought the two problems were connected.

any particularly useful stretches you can recommend? if you could only do say two stretches what would they be?

many thanks!

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 11:31am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The IT band runs from your lower back to your knee, so it tends to be the one armed man to your fugitive pretty regularly.

I have three stretches I particularly like:

The very last one on this page:

http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm

is awesome.

I also like to cross one leg over the other (you can be sitting in a chair or on the floor, so it doesn't take any time out of your day) and pull the top leg to my chest.

Finally, I lay on my back on the floor, and slowly pull one knee to the ground on the opposite side (if I was stretching my left leg, I'd be pulling it to the ground past my right left) while trying to keep my shoulders on the ground.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal