Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercurious is just Mercluless when it comes to streetfighting. A tackle and grabbing is the most common situation when 2 people get angry with each other. Thats why a simple college wrestler would kick his ass 6 ways from tuesday. Its hilarious how he considers me a "grappler" too. My grappling will NEVER in my LIFETIME equal my standup.

"The only "ancient" art that's worth a damn is Wrestling.
    Pretty much everything else that is called "ancient" is just masturbation without touching your genitals." -Phrost
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 10:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttt...
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    peedee you are a ZERO

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 5:27pm

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey at least I'm entertaining!! Woohoo!! : D Well I'm loving the fact that the more and more he tries to analyze the shield (just from one picture and not even testing it properly) his argument seems to be dying, which is funny. I want everyone to see that he's just a wannabe with very limited knowledge. He's trying to analyze something which he has no solid knowledge of which is redicuals and, as he loves to say, he's trying to dig his argument in the ground when he should just accept it and try and learn something new.

Edited by - DCM Fighter on October 23 2002 17:28:39

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Jamoke, have you EVER gotten laid in your lifetime? You should do some grappling because thats the only way a real girl is going to let you lay on top of her you fukking wet end. Can you see this ass practicing his reverse punches in the mirror PRAYING that he wakes up one day and that shiit actually works? And sentences start with capital letters you nimrod. Didn't your Special Ed teacher tell you that? And see how every once in a while there are little DOTS at the end of my words? Those are called PERIODS. Not to be confused with what YOU get once a month.

"The only "ancient" art that's worth a damn is Wrestling.
    Pretty much everything else that is called "ancient" is just masturbation without touching your genitals." -Phrost
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For someone who's not a grappler, Peedee, you have a pretty good top mount going on the Gracie family jewels.

A tackle and grabbing, my ass. Maybe if the fight is on a football field and one of them's holding a ball, but every school fight I've ever seen started with a staring/shouting contest, which escalated into pushing, which turned into a Toughman fight. The streetfights weren't much different, except they didn't get broken up as quickly.

Even if 90% of streetfights did go to the ground (which they don't, but for the sake of argument), do you honestly think that once one or both (since, for the sake of BJJ's effectiveness, all fights are now limited to two people) participants would remain on the ground and turn it into a fucking BJJ contest?

No fucking way, in streetfights, if one of the guys gets knocked down, the other guy doesn't follow him down there and try to pass his guard, he stays standing up and kicks the other while he's down (if he is so inclined). If it was a tackle, which ON OCCASION occur in streetfights, then MAYBE it would VAGUELY resemble your conceptions.

A college wrestler could kick my ass? It depends on the fucking wrestler- weight, skill, physical attributes. If he was a 127 pounder, I'd smack him around. My weight, who knows? If he was built like Bob Sapp, what could any of us do? There's one for your "it's the art, not the fighter" files.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 7:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yet again some fail to realize that you need to know EACH dimension to fighting...

Know stand up. Know the clinch. Know the ground. Know how to put him down. Know how to keep him down. Know how to get back up if you are put down. Know you way out of "grappling" like getting in a headlock and punched in the face. And know when to run. Someone who knows how to enter a clinch and trip (that requires striking knowledge), or just shoot and throw them, or whatever, will have an advantage over someone that can't do anything but strike. They'd also know ways to put the other guy down and stay up themself.

If you're fighting one of those guys who just throw garbage like in Toughman™ and you are an apt striker, go for it. But if you don't know how to grapple, what if he just spears you like he sees in the WWE twice a week? Or what if you do and he does not? You don't have to roll with him, but any kind of putting him on the ground could help you. You could pull a wrestling manouver and just slam/throw/drop him and he might back down after he lands on his ass.

Just cover all your bases and do what the situation calls for. And it really doesn't matter if you do BJJ/MT-Boxing/Wrestling, JJJ, Joe-Fu, kiku ju aasu, or whatever. And SPAR for pete's sake.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nihilanthic,

For the most part, I agree with you. Like Sun Tzu said, know your opponent and know yourself. I'm just tired of hearing all the grappling nutriders talk like you need a blue belt in BJJ to defend yourself on the ground (and that once it gets taken to the ground, your goal is to submit your opponent).

What's so bad about a striker learning submission defense and ground escapes so if he's taken to the ground, he can escape and bring the fight back into his theater?

Speaking of sparring, I'm seriously considering getting into Sanshou. Eager to see if what people say about it being Shuai Jiao+JKD or TKD+Boxing or whatever are true, and to see what karate experience can bring to it.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 7:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanshou seems to be a good way of putting throws and takedowns with your striking. However, as far as I know there are limits to clinching, kinds of attacks, and you need various amounts of padding (on the elbows for instance). And, of course, when someone is down, they stop and wait for the other guy to stand up. So San Shou seems to me to be great as a competition type, to a point. And it could also be a good template for sparring sessions to focus on how to transition from striking to a quick throw or takedown, then get back up and keep going. Just allow more in the range of clinching and it would be perfect. Now, if, however, there are no such restrictions in Sanshou, people need to wake up. Style shouldn't matter. Complete knowledge of fighting should.

I really think the whole angle of stopping grappling after someone hits the floor and standing them back up is to make for a better show, honestly. And, there is an obvious rivalry between sanshou and muay thai, and muay thai doesn't have nearly as much takedowns/throws as sanshou does... so put two and two together.

I know I may piss off both parties but why not use sanshou AND muay thai to cover eachother's holes? Get rid of BOTH sets of restrictions!

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12