Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:17am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats over 3 years of your life you have consciously made the decision not to enjoy.

Food is beautiful thing, make the most of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:26am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTKDnCT
    Eat more plants, and continue weight training but with higher reps and slightly lower weight (shoot for 3 sets of 10-12). Fat burning is something that should be handled aggressively, I would highly suggest not breaking your weight training schedule, and cutting out as many animal products as possible. Plant protein sources are nuts, seeds, grains, and legumes (beans and pods). My fat burn daily food plan goes as follows:
    Morn - Fruit Smoothie with hemp,pea,and rice protein
    Lunch - enormous salad, diverse, sprouts, broccoli, carrots, DARK greens onions, whatever you want.
    Dinner - Beans and brown rice (or some variation...like lentils and quinoa)

for snacks, nuts and veggies are great...also clif bars, organic food bars, etc
    Why should the person lift with higher reps and lower weight? You don't know anything about this persons goals except that they want to lose weight, and their rep scheme at the gym has little to do with that. If anything, high weight, low reps will jumpstart the ol metabolism and help with weight loss more.

Don't cut out animal products - for any serious athelete it's close to nutritional suicide. You can get away with it, but it's way harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist
    Thats over 3 years of your life you have consciously made the decision not to enjoy.

Word

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist

Spoken like a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 12:25pm

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Spoken like a true American.

Err... I'm English mate.

Oh and 6' 1" 190 relatively in shape etc.

But nice try!

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 3:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu jitsu, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is just my opinion here, but it works great for me. If u want to lose weight and gain muscle its all about diet AND exercise. You cant expect much if you are half assing one or the other. So for diet you need protein first and foremost. You want lean meats like chicken breast. You also need to eat a ton of fruits and veggies which are rich in all kinds of things. Importantly you dont want to snack out and take in a whole bunch of calories that will just get stored as fat. For the excercise portion you should wake up in the morning and run about a mile to jump start your body for the day. Later that day you should go to the gym and start out by running a mile or 2, then lift with med weight with high reps. That will work the muscles enough to get them strong and toned plus it can double as an aerobic activity burning more fat. Make sure you drink TONS of water. your body needs water for ALL of its metabolic processes. hope that helps

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aaronh36, no disrespect, but...

Quote Originally Posted by aaronh36
    If u want to lose weight and gain muscle its all about diet AND exercise.
    Dude, that's an oxymoron. We know that. Also, this does not answer Yohan's question:

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan
    Why should the person lift with higher reps and lower weight?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronh36
    You cant expect much if you are half assing one or the other.
    Again, this is an oxymoron, and still does not answer Yohan's question (in particular if you don't know what the OP's goals are.) Furthermore, it does not follow that a training regiment that does not include high reps and low weights is a half-assed one.

Quite the opposite, it's usually the case that people opt for high rpes and low weights as a way to avoid actual, hard workouts... that's a topic for another thread, though.

Yes, there reasons and situations for which you want to rep high with low weights. There are also reasons NOT TO. And this is what Yohan is asking you: why suggest high reps and low weights to the OP?

I know it's your opinion and that it works for you, but be aware that we expect people to substantiate their opinions in an intelligent manner to the best of their abilities. Everything is questioned and everything put to the grill.

What works for you under certain conditions might not work for others on different conditions. Keep that in mind.

Now, for everyone reading this thread, these are the facts:

a. OP weights about 180-185lbs at 5'9"
    b. OP wants to reduce his waist size.
    c. OP wants to drop about 10lbs.
    d. OP already does BJJ.
    e. OP does BJJ twice a week.

Fact e. BJJ twice a week may not be enough to lose weight, not unless you starve yourself (don't do it.)

Fact d implies he's already doing physical training, and still has problems dropping those 10lbs (or reducing his waist size.) A high rep, low weight workout would most likely not do anything. He's already performing aerobic and anaerobic workouts with jits. He doesn't need more of that (which high rep, low weight workouts do.)

Dropping waist size (fact b) can be accomplished without dropping 10lbs (fact a), by virtue of lean muscle gains.

Furthermore, a person may drop 10lbs and not reduce waist size by virtue of lean muscle loss.

Without knowing the OP, my guess is that he needs to look at his nutrition (see the sticky thread.... NOW!) In addition to that, he needs to concentrate on a mass-building program. Sounds counter-intuitive, but for a person who wants to do combat sports, you don't necessarily want to be dropping weight just like that (not unless you need to drop a weight class.)

Work on your legs first, and upper body second. Use a high intensity, low volume program (such as the 5x5) again, concentrating on lower body.

Since you are doing BJJ already, your ability to lift is limited by your ability to recover.

If you are doing BJJ twice a week, you can lift hard 2-3 times a week.

If you choose to do BJJ twice a week and MMA once a week, you won't be able to lift hard more than twice a week (or three times in a two week period.)

Most important of all, you need to get a total of 1-2 NON-CONSECUTIVE days of rest (no jits no lifting) per week. You need this if you want to train well in BJJ. As time goes along, your ability to train harder and more often will increase. But at the start you'll do yourself a favor if you try to follow this guideline.

I'm going to stop here by reminding the OP to read the sticky thread on nutrition. He needs to do that before we continue any further.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 7:17pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good damn post, man. I appreciate your no-BS approach to these topics.

I'm off to do some push ups.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^Agreed.

I was going to create another thread to ask this question...but it's obvious that I need to taper back my training as I'm not recovering. I'm sucking in class, injuries aren't healing, and my energy sucks.

Thanks for the post, Macho Man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to El Macho.

I fit the OP profile exactly: was 5'9 185+, BJJ 2-3 times a week, and wanted to lose 10 lbs of fat and gain strength.

The advice in this forum worked like a charm. Over about 5 months give or take, down to 175, improving strength tremendously - which does wonders on the mat BTW. I hit all my targets and the next goal is to get to 170 and still keep my strength.

I use the Rippetoe Starting Strength 3x5 program instead of 5x5, but same idea ... nutrition is key though. Eat absolutely no crap. I do a sushi diet where I have a huge sushi lunch every day. It's very expensive, but it is working. I try to eat at least my weight in grams of protein every day. Some of the things I sacrificed: Beer, Pasta, French Fries, High carb drinks (except pre/post workout), Potatoes, and other starches (except rice). Get a good multivitamin, and maybe some BCAA supps. Sleep as much as you possibly can.

Keeping the energy up is the hardest thing. I'm older than my BJJ peers (37). I had some over training issues doing Rippetoe and BJJ 3-4 times a week, so I cut BJJ back to 2-3 and cut squats to twice a week.

Everyone's different so you will have to find your groove. Good luck to the OP.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 1:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan

Don't cut out animal products - for any serious athelete it's close to nutritional suicide. You can get away with it, but it's way harder.
    It is a big misconception that athletes need animal products. There are plenty of successful vegetarian and vegan athletes, some of them the best in their sport. Carl Lewis? Tony Gonzalez? Brendan Brazier? Mike Mahler? Mac Danzig? All Vegan. Also, weight training with high reps is more conducive to fat burn...which is what the OP is trying to accomplish. So...aside from 1960's bodybuilder myths...do you know ANYTHING about nutrition or exercise?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast