Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:13pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA the new MTV?

I was driving out in the middle of a rundown suburb and saw the second MMA fight gear store in the matter of two days. Some of the older guys might remember when MTV first started, and actually showed music videos, every band around started filming themselves and was going to be the next big thing. Suddenly, Guitar Centers popped up everywhere, and guys would be walking around my college town strumming riffs from Power Station. It all ended badly, of course, with skinny ties and one hit wonders. Anybody else see a sort of connection, or replay? I just wonder if some of these guys fighting now would be playing music then- whatever they can do get famous, or at least some attention, basically, whether they have talent for the long haul or not.

But, it's better to be a has been then a never was.....
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, when something gets popular there is more of it. Interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:46pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see where you are going with this, I think you just used the wrong analogy. Sure there is going to be a lot of lame **** springing up due to the popularity of MMA but there is also going to be good things. More money for fighters, more training accessible in areas it wasn't previously available in, less legal red tape, events on TV that you don't have to shell out $40 to see, etc.

Yes, there are going to be Tapout wearing fan boy assholes running around acting tough, but that's not that much of change. Those assholes were always there, now they are just easier to spot.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 3:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's somewhat like the poker craze. But MMA has the potential for more staying power. Poker spiked very quickly, but MMA has been building its public appeal and momentum over several years (decades?).

Fight stores seem a little strange, just because it seems like this encourages a lot of people to fight it out untrained in their backyards...which is fine if they want to, but probably something I'd avoid. :)

That may be one of MMA's larger drawbacks. You can't exactly go out back and throw the ball around...at least not safely without a little bit of instruction.

Overall, the boom is definitely good for the sport. No doubt about it.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the good things is that you can usually spot the fakes really fast. The community is still small and relatively tight. As for all the fight gear stores, it's just supply and demand. There is a demand for that stuff so someone is going to supply it.

I just hope the whole backyard thing doesn't take off. Backyard MMA would not be good. The one thing I'm curious about is if backyard MMA would actually be safer than backyard wrestling. Hmmm...

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 5:51pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what you are really looking for as an analogy is the jogging craze in the late 70's. It's over now, but people still do jog.

Other people, not me so much.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Hmm, when something gets popular there is more of it. Interesting.
    As a fellow ADD sufferer, I find it helps if you actually read what was written all the way through. What i meant was, a lot fo Guitar centers popped up to capitalize on an unsustainable move for quick fame. Back then, everyone was going to make it- just ike everyone mgiht be on TUf, or at least, thinks they should be.

Back then, I'd have a perfectly good buzz interrupted by having to listen to someones latest track, and I was always polite. None of them made it. None.

Now, you have a bunch of the same kind of guys, or at least very similar, getting there blue belts and thinking they are one step away from being on Wreckage.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 8:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i do recognize that there are more and more MMA like gyms popping up here in San Diego. other pre existing gyms and training facilities are offering some sort of 1000 calorie burn kickboxing class and such to compete.

ps i suffer form add also. training helps me focus

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    I think what you are really looking for as an analogy is the jogging craze in the late 70's. It's over now, but people still do jog.

Other people, not me so much.
    Yeah, I just don't see it that way. I remember Jim Fixx, and then he had that heart attack, which kind of brought the whole eat whatever you want as long as run to a screeching halt.

It just seems more focused on that young white male demo, not unlike the music thing. I shouldn't go there ( with the race thing) but if you remember, it took years before MTV put on many black acts, and the thing that really broke that was Michael Jackson doing thriller with Van Halen.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    As a fellow ADD sufferer, I find it helps if you actually read what was written all the way through. What i meant was, a lot fo Guitar centers popped up to capitalize on an unsustainable move for quick fame. Back then, everyone was going to make it- just ike everyone mgiht be on TUf, or at least, thinks they should be.

Back then, I'd have a perfectly good buzz interrupted by having to listen to someones latest track, and I was always polite. None of them made it. None.

Now, you have a bunch of the same kind of guys, or at least very similar, getting there blue belts and thinking they are one step away from being on Wreckage.
    Yes, this kind of stuff happens all the time when something is new and gains more popularity and a greater number of people are participating in it.

All the good and bad that comes with it.