Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 1:10pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ruger Mk II

Hello, All:

I just bought my first Ruger Mk II. I think it was what I call a "marriage gun". As in, some poor sap got married and the first thing his wife did was evict his guns.

Anyway, before I make a move on it, I thought I'd post it here and see what other people think.

First thing, it's got a scope mount -- a Weaver, I think -- that I was going to remove but maybe there's a place for a scope on a .22 pistol? It still has the stock sights, so I'd only have to fill in a couple of screw holes. It *does* seem a bit pretentious to me.

Second, I've been advised not to take it apart, because of the difficulty of aligning the hammer and firing pin. I've downloaded the manual and it doesn't look too difficult, only careful.

Third, advice on ammunition is welcomed. I used to use CCI Stingers exclusively but varmint rounds may not be the best choice for a target pistol, since that is the only use for pistols here in Canada.

Last, anything else would be welcome. This is a beautiful little pistol and I would like to take best care of it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 9:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Undecided

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on your Mk II purchase. I'm a new shooter myself (and fellow Canadian) and picked up my first handgun (a MkII as well) a few months ago. I can see that you're as excited about your purchase as I was so I'll try to pass on some of the wisdom I've gained from more experienced shooters:

DISASSEMBLY/REASSEMBLY

You've been advised not to take it apart. This is kind of silly IMO, especially if you plan on shooting it. You'll need to clean & maintain your gun often and you can't do that without taking it apart.

Having said that, I would seek out a video tutorial on disassembly/reassembly to supplement the literature. The American Gunsmithing Institute's Armorer's Course on the Ruger Pistol covers the Standard Auto, Mk I and Mk II. I found it pretty easy to follow, and once you've done it a few times it's pretty easy. It also has good explanations on how the gun works, how to clean it, and even some basic gunsmithing/mods.

As with any firearm, there are plenty of tiny parts/springs to lose so make sure you have a good surface to work on and things can't roll away easily. We pay a pretty penny up in Canada for anything firearm related, and that includes tiny replacement parts.

AMMUNITION

All I can do here is pass on the advice I've received from more experienced shooters. Guns (apparently .22s in particular) tend to be finicky with the type of ammunition you use. The biggest piece of advice I hear on this is to buy a box of every different kind of ammo you can find (40-50 round boxes should run you about $2-$3) and see which ones your gun likes.

I don't have experience with Stingers, but I hear great things about CCI MiniMags as a premium round for target use. Try out whatever you can though...your gun might like Remington or Federal.

SCOPES

Mine came with a rail mounted on it as well. Whether or not you want to mount a scope is entirely up to you. Personally, I plan on training iron sights first, but that's just me. Hopefully the guy who sold you your gun included the original screws to put back in the holes if you decide to take the rail off.

OTHER NOTES

- If you haven't already, I'd suggest picking up a couple of extra magazines. More shooting = fun for everyone

- If you shoot a lot, you'll find a speedloader like "The Ultimate Cliploader" very handy. Instead of popping each round in one by one (and destroying your thumb in the process), these things literally dump the bullets in, filling your mags in a few seconds. Here's a video of one in action:

YouTube - Ultimate Cliploader for Ruger Mark II

It's not something I would have thought to buy, but it was included when I purchased my Ruger and I'm very happy to own it.

Hope at least some of this info will help. Again, congrats on your new purchase and have fun!
    Last edited by Dangles; 5/27/2008 11:42am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangles

Hope at lease some of this info will help. Again, congrats on your new purchase and have fun!
    Thank you very much. All of that information is great. I wouldn't have thought that a piece of plastic like that Cliploader would have worked very well but it sure looks like it.

The iron sights are micrometer sights, so I decided to dismount the scope base.

Thanks again.

PS: I've read the manual thoroughly and have already dismantled it down to the trigger mech. It isn't so hard, just needs that weird angle to reassemble properly. Touched it up with a bit of jeweler's rouge, brought the pull down maybe half a pound.

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That guy should have thrown his wife out and kept his guns. My Aunt did that crap to her second husband. Made him quit being a part time cop (too dangerous), quit flying (too dangerous), quit motorcycles (too dangerous) and wouldn't let him try to be a pro bowler (he had a 275 average but she thought it was "too risky"). I remember her crying when he left her, she couldn't figure out why. I was twelve and I could figure that **** out.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    That guy should have thrown his wife out and kept his guns. My Aunt did that crap to her second husband. Made him quit being a part time cop (too dangerous), quit flying (too dangerous), quit motorcycles (too dangerous) and wouldn't let him try to be a pro bowler (he had a 275 average but she thought it was "too risky"). I remember her crying when he left her, she couldn't figure out why. I was twelve and I could figure that **** out.
    Any girl that would give you that kind of ultimatum, you should kick to the curb, post haste.
    If you're stupid enough to get hitched to such a girl, it's your own stupidity. If a girl has the mindset of giving you "ultimatums" to get what she wants...she won't stop with guns. This type of attitude will continue on to other things (as in the above example). Recognize it for what it is (brain damage + ignorance) and move on to a more mentally stable woman. lol

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Undecided

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor
    Any girl that would give you that kind of ultimatum, you should kick to the curb, post haste.
    If you're stupid enough to get hitched to such a girl, it's your own stupidity. If a girl has the mindset of giving you "ultimatums" to get what she wants...she won't stop with guns. This type of attitude will continue on to other things (as in the above example). Recognize it for what it is (brain damage + ignorance) and move on to a more mentally stable woman. lol
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

The warning signs of people like that are pretty easy to detect...especially if you've known them long enough that you're ready to marry them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, I had one who couldn't stand me riding my motorcycle in the infamous Fairview Numb Bum (24 hr ice race on motorcycles).

She said "you stop that or I'll leave you"

I was too goddamn cold to speak for three days, so she left . . .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctos1964
    Yup, I had one who couldn't stand me riding my motorcycle in the infamous Fairview Numb Bum (24 hr ice race on motorcycles).

She said "you stop that or I'll leave you"

I was too goddamn cold to speak for three days, so she left . . .
    LMAO...good for you, brother. Most men are too dumb by most conventional standards to recognize a girl who is either spoiled to the point that she throws a tantrum (or uses ultimatums) to get what they want. Instead of communicating in a logical, straightforward manner---they give you something like you're describing. "You do this---and we're breaking up"---"You do that, I'm leaving you." It's childlike behavior to the nth degree. If you marry or are attached to a girl like this and you cave in....expect more of the same the rest of your life. Do yourself a favor...WAKE UP...and either confront the girl about her childishness (and ignorance) and discuss it like adults, or simply kick her to the curb and find a girl who is more common-sensical and logical (a tall order, I realize). LOL

Seriously...an irrational fear of guns and an unwillingness to learn anything about them is a sure sign you need to be shopping elsewhere for lifelong companionship. Unless you feel that her hotness outweighs the need for any sort of common sense---then, my son, you are going to be in hell about 20 years from now, when the HAWT...are no longer hot, and you're still stuck with an idiot. :icon_salu Make the right choice!

Oops...btw, here's a pic of my Ruger MkII with an integral silencer and Crimson Trace laser-grips. Hawtness...soooo sexy!

Last edited by Lord Skeletor; 5/28/2008 8:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oops...btw, here's a pic of my Ruger MkII with an integral silencer and Crimson Trace laser-grips. Hawtness...soooo sexy!
    That is a thing of true beauty. I can just barely make out the line where it was cut for the supressor. Can you find the subsonic rounds and will they cycle the action?

Wow . . . . *drool*

Ahem, not that a good, law-abiding Canadian thinks about such things . . .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctos1964
    That is a thing of true beauty. I can just barely make out the line where it was cut for the supressor. Can you find the subsonic rounds and will they cycle the action?

Wow . . . . *drool*

Ahem, not that a good, law-abiding Canadian thinks about such things . . .
    You can see the pic better if you click on the thumbnail. Yeah...it's a 1st gen suppressor.
    Basically...the barrel has a series of holes drilled in it. The can goes over it and I use rolled up bits of copper-scrubbies (that you use for dishes) to wrap around the barrel and the last inch or so is fire-resistant nomex material to pack the last inch or so. Then, the end cap screws on.

Subsonic makes this thing like a one-pump BB gun. Very quiet. But alas, 90% of the time, it DOES NOT cycle the bolt. About 1 out of 10 subsonic rounds will cycle it. But with SS bullets--it just doesn't have the power to do it reliably.

Normal 22LR make this thing function flawlessly. However...it's just a BIT louder. Really...it's a nice setup. Believe it or not, I only paid $300. for it 3 years ago. This cardiac surgeon was moving out of the country and he walked in to this gun store I was working at and asked anyone if they wanted to buy what was left of his "Class 3" stuff---
    I asked what he had, he had some sawed-off shotguns and other stuff I wasn't interested in...and he got to the Ruger and said he'd take $300. for it. I immediately paid him, got a receipt, got the Form 4 signed the next day and about 60 days later, I picked the gun up from him. I've been very happy ever since! :headbang:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast