Merged from a CMA forum thread.

It is a legit on topic question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 11:10pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do,Kali,others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met Sanders along with gary dill. Two fo a kind. Sanders told me he knew Inosanto along with Bruce Lee. I introduce them to dan. He reply was it is nice to meet you. I waitede after they talk and ask him you say you knew dan. His reply was you miss understood. Bull I told them Sanders ans Gary dill after this seminar don't come back. aAbout the seminar certificate that has 1000 hours that I think is from the seminar That I hosted with dan in 1986.there sis another guy that posted a seminar certificate from that same seminar with 70 hoursa on it. That is a shame. I am so glad that I came across your website. Thank you. You need to look into Gary Dill stuff also. About his letter from James Lee. There is two letters not one. The second one is the one he don't people to know about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a recap from the last post. The date was 1986 that Sanders and Gary dill met Sifu Inosanto at the seminar in Dallas Texas. Feel free to email me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 11:52pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrowfu View Post
    I met Sanders along with gary dill. Two fo a kind. Sanders told me he knew Inosanto along with Bruce Lee....

...from the seminar That I hosted with dan in 1986.there sis another guy that posted a seminar certificate from that same seminar with 70 hoursa on it.
    There were some issues with Sanders regarding his claim to know certain people. I was discussing JKD with a local medical person who I found out instructs at a JKD school in Austin. Apparently there has already been some issues with Sanders making claim to Inosanto that raised some irritations within the Austin JKD community. I wasn't really able to follow up on (this person wasn't really interested in participating in the investigation/discussion) so I left it alone.

I can't say what PhD that Sanders is claiming. It's probably something to do with Chinese medicine. I think he wrote some books on the subject that he sells from his website.
    Last edited by 7thSamurai; 11/28/2009 11:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:31am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanders has pulled down a number of the claims he made on his website. The origin of his style is now reflected as such:

History Of Nei Wai Chia Martial Arts
    Nei Wai Chia translates into english as “Internal External System”. It is a new system of martial arts based upon the best techniques of several different martial arts of China, Japan, Tibet, France, and the Philippines.
    Nei Wai Chia Martial Arts consists of

Nei Wai Chia Kung Fu
    Sessen Jutsu Aiki Ju Jutsu
    Beikoku Bushikan Karate Jutsu

http://sijo.org/hx.htm

This is kind of different from what was originally posted (and still maintained here) as:
    One of Master Chan's last students was Yip Man. He was renowned in his ability with Wing Chun. One of Yip Man's many students was a young man named Bruce Lee. In 1962, Bruce and his brother, James Yim Lee opened the James Lee school of Jun Fan Kung Fu (Jun Fan is Bruce' Chinese name). Shortly thereafter, Master Chow came to visit the school of one of his late Masters descendant students. Master Chow met a young Texan, named Larry Sanders who was studying wing chun. Master Chow took a liking to the boy and began to teach him Nei Wai Chia Kung Fu. Master Chow also suggested that he expand his studies with other masters, which he did.

Larry Sanders studied Wing Chun from Bruce Lee, James Lee, Joe Cowles, and George Brock; Hsing I and Pakua from Biff Painter; Hsu Shih Fen, Tai Chi from George Brock; and Iron Palm from Biff Painter and Wang Tzu P'ing. He also studied Jiujitsu, Karate, and weaponry. In 1976, Larry Sanders began teaching the new revised modern version of Nei Wai Chia Kung Fu to the American public. Then in 1982, he was promoted to the rank of Sijo (Founder) of Nei Wai Chia Kung Fu.

The above information was obtained from the website of an affiliate school located in Lake Jackson, Tx.

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 1:33pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 1962, Bruce and his brother, James Yim Lee opened the James Lee school of Jun Fan Kung Fu (Jun Fan is Bruce' Chinese name).
    Someone needs to work on their researching - James Yimm Lee was not the brother of Bruce Lee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 11:39pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still really interested on whats been going on....

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 8:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    “We honor the Masters that came before us, and seek to follow in their example.”-NWC

I just cut out the looonger diatribe I had about Sijo, after realizing what a whiny b I would sound like on my first post.

I could go on to discredit the man, but it looks like you guys beat me to the punch. Sijo definitely used some fake cred that lends major dishonour on all our parts as evidenced in your report, he has real earned cred as well. Most but not all of his master level students also have black belts earned in other martial arts. 1 advancement per year is about how it goes down NWC alley unless you're thinking of joining the black belt club.

I would agree with the assessment that Larry's NWC offers volumes of techniques: rapidly building a repertoire of styles and techniques for your flow at the expense of regular sparring experience with the other students. I took NWC not with Sanders but with one of his students: 3 meetings a week, 1.5hr each plus half an hour of sparring/belt tests/mat time/grappling. There was usually a vigorous half hour warm up.

7thSamurai mentioned relearning techniques. Shaolin forms and strikes and stancework are supposed to be the root of NWC. When I went to the bona fide 32nd Generation Shaolin Warrior Monk, Shi Xing Ying in Houston, aka "The Monkey King", years after turning my back on Sanders, I too was in the position of relearning my "foundation". If you've never seen a whole class of little bilingual asian kids doing head-springs down the Carpet in staggered unison, check out the man's kids class.

If you need more Sijo material, I went on archive.org and perused that website of Sijo's and clicked on the earliest all the way through to see the things Sijo says on his sijo speaks before he turned off robots.txt.

All the Bullshido you can handle.

Sijo Talks January, 2001: A Teachers Lament
    Sijo Talks March, 2001: THE PRICE YOU PAY
    Sijo Talks May, 2001: A History Of Nei Wai Chia Part One
    Sijo Talks September, 2001: NEI WAI CHIA KUNG FU: A HISTORY Part Three

Sijo Talks January, 2001: A Teachers Lament

I have run into the unfortunate realization that, as a Martial Arts teacher, I might tend to favor the enthusiasm of students who attend as many lessons as possible and have, if not natural talent, then the drive to be as awesome as they possibly can. It is not that there is anything wrong with holding these particular vehement students in high regard, but consider the casualties that decide to quit after a short time in training even though the teacher might have thought that everything was going quite well.

It is so terrible to lose a quality student because of a dampened spark or other external forces. This is where the true dilemma begins. At the loss of every few prodigal students, the students that are left behind, though not as intense, are in need of just the same if not much more of the teachers attention. I have found that there is this demonic subliminal stress that almost makes me resent the students that come to classes only because there is nothing better to watch on TV. There are the ones who come just to say they take martial arts. There are those who want only a piece of the pie, but do not have the appetite for the whole thing. I find myself wondering what is the purpose of this so western attitude to something that is my whole existence! How can people treat this so casually? They see this as a commodity I guess. They pay for a month of classes and that is what they expect in return. They do not want to be responsible for attending seminars, workshops, or clinics. It is rare gold to be graced with students who actually say “She She Ni Sijo” because they have taken the unsolicited initiative to do a little background studying. So these poor, left-over students might make one say,” What am I doing all this for?”

I have been noticing that I am craving the luxury of being able to pick and choose the people that I want enrolled in my school. But I cannot afford that luxury; I am a pawn to the public and the accursed economy. I am not an ethereal spirit. I have to make a living, so I hope that the Tao will bless me with at least one out of every ten students to be a prodigy. So the more students we can get into our classes, the more chance for prodigies. And about that question I asked earlier,” Why am I doing this?” - for that one in ten, and I hope that one is you.

Sijo
    Sijo Talks March, 2001: THE PRICE YOU PAY

The following is paraphrased from an article in Dave Lowry’s wonderful book Moving Toward Stillness. Its original title was “Get A New Wife”.

I was approached one day by a fellow who had come to watch class who said that he was interested in taking up Kung Fu, but wondered if training might present a problem for him. He was a marathon runner, he explained, and he spent several hours a week running and traveling to races. Would martial arts practice interfere with that?

Another time, an acquaintance commented to me that he wanted to begin, but as an underpaid schoolteacher, he wasn’t sure he could afford the fee. It is pertinent that this acquaintance both smoked and drank and easily spent more than the cost of classes on these habits.

When I encounter these people, I am always reminded of a falconer I once heard about. Falconry is, of course, the art of raising and training birds of prey-hawks, falcons, and even eagles to hunt. It is a very, very old art, one that requires a tremendous amount of study into the life and behaviors of these birds. It also demands an amazing patience to tame them and to accommodate their highly-strung natures. Falconers typically spend several hours daily with their birds. This falconer met a man who said that he wanted to take up falconry but was afraid that his wife would not adapt well to having a fierce-looking raptor as a permanent addition to their backyard. What should he do? The falconer’s reply: ”Get a new wife.”

It is, I suppose, indicative of our modern civilization that, if I may paraphrase Churchill, so many wish to have so much while expending so little. We have parents who want to raise perfect children while simultaneously pursuing careers that prevent them from even seeing their offspring more than a few minutes a day. We have single people who want to establish meaningful, lifelong relationships by placing a few words in a personal ad. And we have people who want to reap the benefits of the martial arts without any real sacrifice. They are, all of them, going to be disappointed.

The falconer’s advice on getting a new wife sounds harsh. It was not, we can assume, entirely serious. But his point was that an involved and difficult discipline like falconry requires some pretty uncommon dedication. It has been convenient for many martial art teachers to present their classes as nothing more than a pastime, a hobby that can be approached like bowling or bridge. MARTIAL ARTS ARE NOT AEROBICS CLASSES!
    The martial arts - very difficult to describe in their entirety since we have nothing analogous to them in the west - are a multifaceted discipline. It is not an ordinary pastime. Those who follow them cannot be ordinary either. So if something stands in your way, and you cannot give the martial arts the time and attention necessary to make it a meaningful part of your life, then both you and the martial arts would be better off if you leave them alone. To the fellow who spent money on smoking and drinking without complaint but who was hesitant to make an equal investment in Kung Fu, I cannot imagine, frankly, what to say. Someone with that sense of priorities is likely, I’m afraid, to find that the cost of the Kung Fu life is far too high for him to pay, no matter what it’s price.
    Sijo Talks May, 2001: A History Of Nei Wai Chia Part One

This is the first installment of an article that will attempt to give you a history of this art that we practice. It will not be the complete history for that would take as long to write as it did to live, maybe longer. It will, however, be more than you probably know now.

In 1908 in Shanghai, China something happened that had never happened before. A martial art school was opened, not to just the warrior class, or just to the nobility, but to anyone who wanted to know the greatness that was Chinese martial arts. A committee of educators headed it up and fighters came from all over China. The principle was considered the greatest kung fu man in China’s long history. His name was Huo Yuan Chia. Masters of all kinds of different styles were brought in to share their arts. Yang Chen Fu, Sun Lu Tang, Ku Yu Cheong, Chan Wah Shun famous names in their respective styles taught classes. These men who before would barely have spoken to each other realized that if something didn’t happen that the arts they taught might go with them to the grave. Five young strong, intelligent men were chosen to learn the bulk of their knowledge and to share it with all of China. They were given a crash course that left them battered, bruised, tired, and their minds filled with so called secrets of the arts. Unfortunately in the years to come would be world wars, famines, accidents, and diseases. By 1962 only one of the 5 men was still alive. His name was Chao Chun Kun and in 1962 he was 79yrs old.

In June of that year Larry Sanders, a young Texan was training in a combination of Siu Lum Gung Fu and Wing Chun Gung Fu under a teacher in San Francisco, Calif. Sanders was only 14 at the time but he had already put six years of martial arts training behind his belt and had a 1st degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate to show for it.
    Sijo Talks September, 2001: NEI WAI CHIA KUNG FU: A HISTORY Part Three

In 1971 Sanders came home and began college at Tarrant County Junior College in Ft Worth, Texas . He had seen a listing for a Jiujitsu class and signed up for it. The first class had everyone in the bleachers as the instructors of the class arrived. They were two brothers in their late twenties named George and Jim Brock. George was the senior ranking of the two. They asked if anyone had previous martial arts training. Several people had. When they asked about styles it was mostly a little Tae Kwon Do and one guy had some Judo. When they heard that Sanders had done Wing Chun they seemed very interested and after the meeting they asked to see some techniques. It seems that they had just begun training with a former Seattle student of Bruce Lee named Joseph Cowles and all they knew so far was the 1st form Sil Lum Tao. Sanders agreed to assist them with their training and they taught him what was called at that time Beikoku Bushikan Jiujitsu. It was a relationship that would last 23 years. To be continued
    Sijo Talks December, 2001

Well, the year is almost over. There have been ups and downs. Students have come and some have gone. Think about how it was when you first signed up in Nei Wai Chia. Who was here then? Who is still here now? Who has come and gone since you began? Quite honestly, most people don’t have that success ingredient that is so important in our art – that aspect we call perseverance. That’s what makes you so special. It is an indication of what kind of person you are. You continue when you’re sore. You come to class when others say “Let’s go out. Missing one class won’t matter.” You sweat, you strain, you go against what others say and think all because this art has touched a place in your heart. It gives you something that you need to get. I know, because it’s done that for me for over 45 years. Nei Wai Chia… you and I don’t do it anymore, we are it!

Just a quick note. I had a ball at Dragonfest. If you haven’t checked out the pictures, go back to the content page and click “Dragonfest Pictures”. It’s held every year and if you can, try to make it. You’ll be glad that you did.

Lastly, may you and your family have the very best Christmas and New Year. Eat too much, get too many presents, and hug your loved ones a lot.

And don’t forget that the SIJO CLINIC is coming up here in Austin on February 9, 2002 . See you there.
    Last edited by swankman12; 3/31/2010 8:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 8:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is a Joke. Can't take anything he say as the truth. Run as fast as you can from
    this person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to say he is not the one one that forge and alter inosanto seminars certififcates from that seminar. There a guy in Sherman Tx that did it to.
    Last edited by rcrowfu; 5/15/2010 8:43pm at .