Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Getting old

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 38 and counting. Other than a serious decrease in stamina, I feel stronger now than 10-15 years ago (sans my back which bitches about a lot.)

Regarding osteoarthritis, take it a day at a time, with lots of ice and ibuprofen. I have it on my right hand. When I got it diagnosed, I could barely hold a 20lbs dumbbell with it. Doc gave me some NSAIDs and told me there was nothing I could do about it.

Then I just iced the living **** out of it, twice, three times a day, day after day after day for a couple of weeks. I burned my skin with the ice, but **** it. In addition to day I just kept stretching the wrist (hoping to grind the scar tissue away). Then the pain kinda went away. Sometimes it flares and I simply back off and ice it again.

The most important thing with osteoarthritis is to reduce the inflamation, whatever it takes, to always stretch and move the affected area (never let it lose mobility) and to take fish oil, lots of it (I recommend 5,000-6,000mg/day minimum.)

I dunno, that's what worked for me; it may not work for others, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anyways, work around your injuries, and never be shy of backing off to take some rest. Work on your strenght and flexibility first, specially on the affected areas. If knees are your problem, work on increasing flexibility and strength in your hamstrings and quadriceps (hamstring/quadricep strength ratio must never be below 50 - about 80+ and you'll reduce the probability of knee injuries tremendously.)

Welcome to the geriatric club!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, Electrohawk:

45 here . . . Let's see . . . my bona fides:
    47 broken bones, one mostly artificial knee, one mostly not there knee, arthritis, malaria, about a half dozen pieces of frag and *some* scars.

Don't be too scared by the arthritis. What really makes it worse is being sedentary. What has worked for me is taking the time to stretch, doing lots of strengthening around the joints and the old standards of elevating the painful bits when it's bad. I also do aikido and I find the rolling and falling isn't too bad. What my knees can't take too well are the really ballistic high kicks anymore, so that's what I've had to back off on.

I'm new here myself but the folks here have lots of advice and some of it's even useful :)

It's a great place to come read. Enjoy

Style
    WadoRyu Karate, Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen several threads about knee injuries, and how kicks and rolling are hard on them.
    I've also had a couple guys in the last couple weeks turn down invitations to train with my group on account of dodgy knees.

Question is, whats the problem with just working standup striking without kicks. I wouldn't think boxing footwork would overstress the joint. One of the dudes plays tennis.

With what I hear about Aikido and TaiChi on Bullshido, I'm suprised Boxing isn't getting a bigger recommend.

I don't claim to know jack about boxing or knee injuries. (mercy on the noob)
    Am I missing something? Boxing, anyone?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an excellent thread. I'm heading into the last half of my thirties and I've been asking myself how much I'm prepared to risk given the responsibilities I now have.

But I'm even more concerned about brain injury and early onset dementia than I am about other types of injuries. I'm not certain, but I think boxing, muay thai and other striking sports are more likely to produce the constant little concussions that eventually turn your brain to tapioca pudding.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb
    This is an excellent thread. I'm heading into the last half of my thirties and I've been asking myself how much I'm prepared to risk given the responsibilities I now have.

But I'm even more concerned about brain injury and early onset dementia than I am about other types of injuries. I'm not certain, but I think boxing, muay thai and other striking sports are more likely to produce the constant little concussions that eventually turn your brain to tapioca pudding.
    More proof BJJ is the greatest MA ever.

Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my first mma fight at 38 after being inactive due to a torn L5.

Age is in your head.

Style
    On Hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose you could try your hand at boxing... it'll put some stress on the knees of course, but I'm sure you could do with a combat sport that doesn't require snap kicks. I'd also recommend looking into some form of submission grappling, as others have already suggested.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb

This is true only if you have been a pugilist with years and years of fights. It's very unlikely you will develop dementia pugilistica from simply training boxing as a hobby or even if you decide to give it a try at amateur boxing a couple of times. That is, Ali or Freddie Roach didn't get it from taking up boxing as a hobby. It took a lifetime of training, sparring and fighting, day after day.

It could happen if you do it as a habby, but it could also happen that you get your neck seriously injured in grappling or wrestling. Anything bad can happen when you do anything physical. For example, see this poor kid who got paralized from playing kiddie baseball.

Do what you feel comfortable doing, but do it knowing the why of it. Perspective dude, perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandhina
    Age is in your head.
    QFT. We are like wine!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    Tai Chi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my son's godfathers got his BJJ purple at the age of 50. He's done amateur Boxing, CMA and San Da, but cut back on the standup through his late 40s because he started to find takedowns and impact to the head too jarring to his neck and back. He credits yoga and good diet with keeping him going. When he trains for a competition he can still get back to having a six pack, but doesn't walk around ripped like that day to day.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.
    Style
    Rehab Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem with boxing is not that the practice is too rough, it's just that age is not all in your head. Competitive boxing is pretty much all about attributes, even more than MMA in some ways, and unless you are a genetic freak, you are going to have a tough time hanging with the punks in an actual fight. If you're just doing sparring and training for exercise and self defense, then that isn't a problem, but I know that alot of us need competition to keep going. Also, explaining face bruises at work the next day can be odd.

Like is said, I really think BJJ is the optimal old fart MA.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last