Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2003 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sport Jujitsu

I'm writing this because Matt W's thread on sport ma reminded me. Perhaps this stuff has been talked about before on Bullshido and I missed it? I like the idea of more realistic competition.

Last year when I was in Hawaii I learned about 'Sport Jujitsu' tournaments. They wear some gear and score standup and ground. It combines the elements of point sparring and submission mma with different divisions and rules. For instance kids under 13 aren't allowed to use chokes, but get points for strikes and take downs and successful mounting and so forth. They also have divisions that are wrestling oriented and another that is full contact. The guys who are running this in Honolulu seemed to be saying that this was an attempt to bridge the gap between unrealistic point tournaments and the full contact UFC type tournaments.

In Hawaii they are trying to get as many schools as possible to join up and they are having some success. Competitors included ages from 10 up and schools as diverse as Kempo, TKD, MT, Jujitsu, and others.

Here's the international web site and links to rules and schools.
    http://www.sportjujitsu.com/
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/25/2003 1:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool. Ronin and Asia, others explained to me about the more hardcore type jijitsu schools and I was wondering if they do anything similar to Randori or MMA...this is neat.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/25/2003 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed in Sport JJ here in Germany since 1999. I did stop for awhile because I was being deployed to Kosovo.

It verry fun. You start standing up and can strike until the opponent falls or there is a takedown. Once one person hits the mat then it is straight grappling. Black Belts can still strike on ther ground but know kicks to a downed opponent. On the ground you have 30sec~1min to work something then you are stood back up.

I was undefeated in my area but for some reason was on listed 5th. Even though I had beat guys who were ranked higher than me.

But all in all I like BJJ tournaments better. The level of competitors tend to be a bit higher. The Sport JJ was more of a everyday man's MMA.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 6:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it looks cool though
    GS

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 6:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    asia where did u train at germany, where do u train now??
    just wondering, how u got started in the sports jiu jitsu cicuit, u must be pretty complete if u did striking, grappling and takedowns.

Anyways, have a good thanksgiving

GS
    GS

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 6:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at the BAD KREUZNACH Sportzplatz. I got into it because a friend of mine was already doing it and said I would do good at it.

It is a pretty good format just that the pple there were normal everyday pple who don't care about who did what in UFC, Pride etc. They just wanted to train and compete for fun. I just out grew it to another level of competition.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Titan

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good, and safe.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 7:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like the way they have the kids competing, in a realistic but safe way

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 7:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've been running Sports Jujitsu classes along side our jujitsu classes for about 4 years now. We have a couple of guys training with the AMA GB Squad and loads of promosing juniors. The great thing about it is that you can enjoy it without ever wanting to compete. It adds the extra element of sparring to your curriculum (mssing from many traditional jujitsu schools) and encourages cross training. Karate practioners and kickboxers need to learn some ground work skills, likewise the judo guys need to learn how to punch and kick. It's not the UFC or Ring Rules and doesn't pretend to be. Some who've tried it claim it's too tame, others that it's too tough!

I love it as I also love watching K1, UFC etc. It's just a different level of martial arts competition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.combatsportsacademy.dk/vi..._nipponcup.wmv

That's a link for a sport jiu-jitsu tournament in Denmark. The guy has done 1 months of Sport Jiu Jitsu (as far as I know) and he came in third.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast