Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 10:15am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a video in Strikistan from Annatrocity on the Pick Kick, which is that lead leg round kick you are talking about. She shows how to generate power with it, you should watch it.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No-switch roundhouses can be used to generate a lot of power if you twist your body correctly. I've dropped people with them before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 10:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You as a TKDin should know it too :XXjester:
    Basic/main diffrenece between a TKD roundhouse and the MT roundhouse is that the MT round house comes from the side with an outwards to inward motion, swinging. The TKD roundhouse is knee up and forward (including the hip after you got your knee up), like you wana OngBak kneestrike/push him from 1 ft away. Then turn your lower leg horizontal, while simultaneously turning your hip and standing foot. You generate motion with your hip turning into your opponent and your lower leg snapping like a whip/salon door.
    This technique has one great advantage (which is why most fighters from Belgium and the Netherlands, like remy-bonjasky and le baner use it) you can turn this into a low-kick, a high kick, the heel snapping kick we were talking about (those with the lead leg) an axe-kick, a sidekick or a regular MT-jab/frontkick

Once again, if you ain't have the power, you are lacking technique. I am not a big strong guy (used to fight -67kg and now up to 70kg) so I have to nail the technique in order to be fast and powerfull yet stinging and not hamering.

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 10:53am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mistake, sorry :). The people at my gym who use this kick in leg sparring generate so little power with it i just wrote it off as a point sparring technique.

Did a search, couldn't find the video posted but saw a discussion. Might be worth learning to do the pick kick properly, although without the inner thigh available for me it might be more beneficial for me just to stick with 'Brazilians' and teeps off the front.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 11:01am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hips swinging the leg like a baseball bat?

Um.

No.

If that's the only means of power generation you know, then yes, you are limited & you lack proper technique.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    t is always worth to learn new technique, not saying it will be your money move (it could be) but having more/different techniques (in kicking, striking, grappling, ice figure skating :icon_roll) opens up you game so much. You can adapt, surprise.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Shut up. The front leg hook kick is generally a bad idea under most striking rules.

To use it effectively, you must:

1. Practice it an obscene amount to get any power, which could be better spent on more frequently applicable techniques.
    And, I do practice it. All the time. Because it does work for me.

2. Set it up with multiple front leg side kicks (which are useful, but take more time and practice to master than the equally effective front push kick), or no-switch roundhouse kicks which also lack any sort of power. Only that setup gives you the outcome Kintanon described, with your opponent leaning into it and allowing you to hit the temple with a good amount of force.
    I happen to like lead leg side kicks, and with over 250lbs behind them they are good for more than just pushing.

As for power generation, I thought the same thing until my instructor just about took my head off with one, and then showed me how to use your hips to generate the power, not just the leg muscles.

3. Cause your opponent to lose their balance/equilibrium, stun them or at least move them back. Causing a knockdown requires hitting the temple, the kick lacks the power to KO unless you hit that magic button.
    The cheek bone, chin, or clavicle is also a real attention getter, unless you are wearing padding and point sparring. Otherwise, most people don't just laugh that off.

If you don't do #3, which requires both #1 and #2 having been done previously, you end up sideways to your opponent when the kick is blocked. That gives them a wide open low kick at your hamstrings AND a wide open straight punch to your temple. Front leg hook kick sucks when compared to many other kick techniques under any ruleset other than point sparring.[/QUOTE]

So, if your spinning hook kick gets jammed, how many of these things won't happen then as well, not to mention the ill-advised act of momentarily turning your back on your opponent.

I respect the fact that you feel the way you do based on your experience, but I think you may lack the exposure to pass judgement on the technique I described. I have done well with it as a 'bait and switch' several times.

As Kintannon said;
    No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Spinning hook kick

It can be used effectively.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 11:24am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The same problems definitely exist with the spinning hook, which is why using it more than say 2x in a fight is usually a bad idea. The difference is, you can get more power with the spin and if you totally miss (which occasionally happens with the spinning hook) it ends up spinning you back around to face your opponent.

Also, I like front leg side kick too. I just think that if you haven't spent time on it already, the front kick is just as effective and easier to learn.

EDIT: Maybe I have the wrong technique, but I've never gotten any power off the front leg roundhouse without a step or switch. Anyway, I guess it boils down to personal choice but I'd still rather spent the time I'd need to in order to get my pick kick and front leg hook kick on something with broader use. Front leg hook might be best for people with long legs, good flexiblity and who are light on their feet.
    Last edited by G-Off; 5/24/2008 11:40am at .

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 11:36am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Hips swinging the leg like a baseball bat?

Um.

No.

If that's the only means of power generation you know, then yes, you are limited & you lack proper technique.
    I also know how to swing my leg like a cricket bat.

(Yes this post contributes as little as your comments do to this thread.)

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 11:38am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    My mistake, sorry :). The people at my gym who use this kick in leg sparring generate so little power with it i just wrote it off as a point sparring technique.

Did a search, couldn't find the video posted but saw a discussion. Might be worth learning to do the pick kick properly, although without the inner thigh available for me it might be more beneficial for me just to stick with 'Brazilians' and teeps off the front.
    The first time you fight another southpaw you'll be glad you practiced it.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast