5/23/2008 1:45pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    E-Van Agrees With Upa

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 1:47pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I also found it interesting that despite Phrost's catchy title for last week's thread, the judges and Dana White also gave the first round to Rampage's spiky haired guy.

Sucks to get a 10-8 in a two round fight, dumbass.
    I'll go back and watch the first round again if someone can link me to it, but I'm sure I had a good reason for calling that the way I did.

Maybe Dana was just placating his biggest star.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I judged a show last night and for some reason was stuck sitting in the red corner. One of the fighters had an armbar and the guy's corner yelled at him to "break it".

That kind of pissed me off, to be honest.
    Well alot of times it seems that some BJJ guys are used to people tapping in class from "knowing' that they are in the position to get there arm broken, and are not used to applying the pressure needed to actualy get somone to tap in a competition where the person your are competing with will not tap untill he actualy feels the "breaking" pressure.

As a cornerman it is my job to not only tell my fighter to apply the needed pressure but to also put the fear of god into my fighters oponent. Hearing "BREAK IT!" from his oppenents corner when caught in a arm bar may be that ingrediant needed for him respect the sub and to tap to a good sub before he does actualy get his arm broken.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I judged a show last night and for some reason was stuck sitting in the red corner. One of the fighters had an armbar and the guy's corner yelled at him to "break it".

That kind of pissed me off, to be honest.

Guy I train with had a fight 6-7 months ago. Got the guy in a deep knee bar. Had it dead. The guy wouldn't tap. Held it for a momnet and then cranked it till the guy yelped and started tapping furiously. What was Dan supposed to do, not crank and let go of the sub?

Lutter is another example, if he'd popped quicker he might have actually finished Franklin (or at least gone into the second facing a one armed franklin).

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm of the opinion that if you break someone's limb in a fight, by cranking the **** as hard as you can from the get go, just to secure a win, his friends should be waiting for you outside the arena with guns and knives and ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you refuse to tap then you get what you get.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me of that fight where GSP was going for the kimura on Kosh and he couldnt get it becuase Josh was grabing his shorts. So GSP started JERKING that fucking arm. I thought "My god, if GSP gets this Kosh isnt going to get a chance to tap, GSP is just going to CRANK that fucker off"

fortunetly for Josh GSP never got it.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question,
    The thing is, with armbars for example, the slightest hesitation when going full out can allow an escape.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 3:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Question,
    The thing is, with armbars for example, the slightest hesitation when going full out can allow an escape.
    I completely understand that, but this is, after all, a sport. The fact that a method gives a greater chance of success does not make it right, sportsmanly, or legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    I completely understand that, but this is, after all, a sport. The fact that a method gives a greater chance of success does not make it right, sportsmanly, or legal.
    you might want to remind megumi fuji of that.

and she might tell you to **** off and learn to tap faster :P
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast