Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 9:13pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Academy videos are pretty awesome in general. The step might have something to do with it Sphinx, the technique doesn't look too dissimilar between the two videos, but with the step in the academy video the bag moves backward in the same manner.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 4:22pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The forwards thrusting round kick is definitely a viable technique, but its not the kind of round kick you will throw a high percentage of times. As an example, when I fight or spar, I'd say that only about 10% of my kicks ever fall into this category. Don't get me wrong, every fighter is different and develops their own strategy, but I have never seen this kick used as the predominant kick.

Speaking of visualizations, though, I've got a few good ones. My coach, Master K, is famous for coming up with different ways to visualize Muay Thai technique to help his students get the mechanics right...

1. The Hurricane Method: Think of the round kick as part of a hurricane. Your support leg is the "eye" of the hurricane, and your leg and shoulder are winds spinning around opposite of one another.

2. The Truck: Imagine you are standing on the side of a busy road. A large semi trailer truck blazes past you. As the truck passes, you are then buffetted by the wind the truck generated. When you kick, you step slightly past your target (at an angle, of course) as if your body is the truck. Your kick then simulates the wind as it impacts with the target.

3. To help with your hip motion, the Doctors Office: Pretend the doctor is behind you trying to jab you in the butt with one of those horse needles. You tighten your butt cheeks and actually thrust your hips forwards in an attempt to keep away from the needle. Granted, this is a very silly visualization, but it help you tighten your butt muscles up as your thrust your hips with the kick, which is an important part of the getting the technique right.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 7:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry man but your instructor cant kick for shits.. where he learned that style of kicking it looks weak its not a muay thai roundhouse that some bullshit he teached himself

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 7:50pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachimsh
    sorry man but your instructor cant kick for shits.. where he learned that style of kicking it looks weak its not a muay thai roundhouse that some bullshit he teached himself
    You're welcome to post a video presenting your version of the technique for critique. Or the name of the gym you teach at. Or a verified fight record, or martial art credentials on the level of being a Dog Brothers member. Or even to contribute something intelligent to this discussion.

Otherwise, get the **** out of the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 11:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those last two ones from Ajahn K are original, I would say KK. Very creative.

As far as Ryan's kick, I would echo that it is certainly a viable method. Nowhere does he claim it is the definitive kick... in fact doesn't he mention that it is one of many? I would tend to agree though, it's a low percentage kick in terms of appearances IMO.

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 8:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    g-off **** you bitch your trainer is a prime example of an american kickboxer trying to teach muay thai.. its a disgrace to our beautyfull sport.. if he tried that kick on my i would catch it so easy and turn him around and kick him in the back of the head. And the other video form the academy or whatever is the same bullshit.. Look how fucking wrong he kicks in the slow mo he hits with his foot every time also.. , KICKBOXERS should not teach MUAY THAI. and by being a certified dog brother member or whatever doesnt mean he knows muay thai...

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 9:26am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) it's a technical discussion forum douchebag- explain YOUR take on the technique, and compare it to his, or shut the **** up

2) cut it with your racist garbage. Thai's don't have a monopoly on effective kicking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 12:39pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should just keep it simple and try to make contact with your shin. To elaborate on that, get a little closer to the target and exaggerate the hip motion a little bit.

Once you can do that you can make adjustments to the kick to suit your needs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 1:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    G-OFF, have you done this drill at your gym?

* In slow motion, begin executing the kick
    * Stop when your shin is resting against the heavy bag
    * Lean into it, make sure your weight is committed to the bag
    * Push off violently, with enough force to naturally return you to your starting position.
    * Rinse and repeat

(Make sure you exaggerate the motions, mimicing good form as well as you can. Concentrate/Visualise the Baseball Bat analogy as you do it)

It's also a good partner drill, where you slowly execute a kick to the leg of your opponent (who stands with a slightly exaggerated bend to their legs), stop with your weight against their leg (just above the knee, over the small muscle at the base of the quadriceps), and push off with your leg to return to your starting position. Then it's their turn.

It's good for figuring out optimal shin placement, and maintaining balance.
    That's a good suggestion, that's how I learned how to kick properly, because I came from a karate background from when I was a kid and my kick was more like a snap and that's not how kicks in muay thai work. At first, until your shin gets "used to" hiting the bag you should practice the form without using full speed or power, kind of lean into it and push it away with your shin. I think the best way to practice the kick is with the bag. About the visualisation part you could hink about it like an axe trying to chop down a tree. Your kick should be trying to go through the bag, but don't imagine your target behind the bag because your kick won't hit full strenght.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234