Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,469
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blisterstarr
    I think I know what you Khun Kao and Omega mean by "swinging" or a "thrusting" round kick. Do you mean Thrusting like a Cut kick or Thrusting like (what i would call) musiling through it? To Kick as deep as possible?

    Can anyone Show me a Video Difference:munky2:

    I agree with you guys on different techniques for different scenarios. "People say doesn't that leave you open?" or "thats not hard enough!" Or "thats too hard, too much body commitment" I always tell them fighting is give and take on variation, not a instructional video.
    I haven't done a video for this last session so I'll do it on the kick.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Morehead Ky
    Posts
    441
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    I haven't done a video for this last session so I'll do it on the kick.
    SweeT! thanks

  3. #23
    BudoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    1,770
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Two other things which I would probably have newbs do.

    a) make sure the pivoting leg is slightly outside and past the target to insure that the hips are open to the thing being kicked. If your pivoting foot is between the padholders legs, you're probably open to the wrong target.

    b) particularly when it's a low-line target, try to visualize hitting the target on the way down, insstead of the way up(hitting it directly horizontal is fine to). If you're hitting it on the way down, your hips are probably turned over pretty well.

    Pay particular attention to point B. I'm glad Omega noticed it as well, because my first thought watching the video is that there was something just a little off. The first slo-mo kick he throws violates a principle or two of a muay thai kick, and definetely seemed to be a combination of the muay thai round and a tkd kick. He kind of skipped a little bit when he did it, and left his standing leg pretty open and off balance (so the tkd makes sense).To be fair I didn't watch the whole thing, because I don't have speakers on my work computer, but it definetely sounds like you all are overthinking this. Stick to the baseball bat analogy, angle your kick down as self critical said, and you'll be golden.

  4. #24
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I guess I am overthinking it. Truthfully, I think I have a pretty good roundhouse and I get some decent power with it on padwork. The struggle is just going to be doing it the way my teacher does, because I couldn't for the life of me think how a proper roundhouse would move the bag forwards. That's likely a question for him though, since it's his particular preference. Thanks for the help.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    204
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Swinging a Baseball bat to the ribs
    Swinging an axe to the legs.

    Aim behind the target either way.

    That's how I was always told to visualize it.
    That would be my approach as well. You direct your kick to go thru the target hence the power coming from your hips into your kicks......

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jj77
    That would be my approach as well. You direct your kick to go thru the target hence the power coming from your hips into your kicks......

    Forgive my ignorance, but is there some other way to treat the target than go 'through' it?

    Just wondering what sorts of things are being taught these days...

  7. #27
    Deadmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    G-OFF, have you done this drill at your gym?

    * In slow motion, begin executing the kick
    * Stop when your shin is resting against the heavy bag
    * Lean into it, make sure your weight is committed to the bag
    * Push off violently, with enough force to naturally return you to your starting position.
    * Rinse and repeat

    (Make sure you exaggerate the motions, mimicing good form as well as you can. Concentrate/Visualise the Baseball Bat analogy as you do it)

    It's also a good partner drill, where you slowly execute a kick to the leg of your opponent (who stands with a slightly exaggerated bend to their legs), stop with your weight against their leg (just above the knee, over the small muscle at the base of the quadriceps), and push off with your leg to return to your starting position. Then it's their turn.

    It's good for figuring out optimal shin placement, and maintaining balance.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 5/22/2008 5:51pm at .

  8. #28
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    G-OFF, have you done this drill at your gym?

    * In slow motion, begin executing the kick
    * Stop when your shin is resting against the heavy bag
    * Lean into it, make sure your weight is committed to the bag
    * Push off violently, with enough force to naturally return you to your starting position.
    * Rinse and repeat

    (Make sure you exaggerate the motions, mimicing good form as well as you can. Concentrate/Visualise the Baseball Bat analogy as you do it)

    It's also a good partner drill, where you slowly execute a kick to the leg of your opponent (who stands with a slightly exaggerated bend to their legs), stop with your weight against their leg (just above the knee, over the small muscle at the base of the quadriceps), and push off with your leg to return to your starting position. Then it's their turn.

    It's good for figuring out optimal shin placement, and maintaining balance.
    No, I haven't. Good idea, I'll try that.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Scotland/Philippines
    Posts
    741
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Ok, I guess I am overthinking it. Truthfully, I think I have a pretty good roundhouse and I get some decent power with it on padwork. The struggle is just going to be doing it the way my teacher does, because I couldn't for the life of me think how a proper roundhouse would move the bag forwards.
    Would this have something to do with the 45 degree step you do to execute the technique? You should have moved forward and to the side when you make contact, so your roundhouse would propel the bag forward relative to your starting position.

    Here's a 'plan' view of the round kick.

    YouTube - Muay Thai training - kicks

    And for no reason at all, here's Rob Kaman kicking.

    YouTube - Rob Kaman - Mid roundhouse kick

  10. #30
    Kempo Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    519
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The comment about moving the bag foward doesn't make sense to me either G-Off.

    The Academy video is a much better explanation than the first video.

    Also Rob Kaman is a badass.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO