Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is such an internet question.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:36pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Yeah, his comments are where mine were 13 years ago. I've learned that his approach and description of the kick power is not so definitive. My Thai kick comes from "Chai" too. Also his description of kicking with the foot is limited. Not all TKD/karate schools teach "kick with foot" It's usually "Kick with instep" Which is what I'm sure he meant.
    I think that is what he meant with the multiple bones comment, yeah. He said he used to take TKD as well. What would you suggest/change in terms of the kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    This is such an internet question.
    Thank you for your contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    One visualization technique that helped me was to imagine a rope connects your shoulder to your opposite hip, and when you swing your arm back, it pulls the shoulder, which pulls the hip, which pulls the leg.

Just like you should feel punches in the balls of your feet, you should feel the roundhouse in your shoulder.
    Actually thank you for real for this contribution. So would you think of the kick as more a sideways strike (which is my mode of thinking and my mental block right now) or a forward thing as Ryan said in the video?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a choice. You don't have to do one over the other. His comment about the swing and reaction of the bag is completely off base. You can do a swinging or a thrusting round kick. Each one will be used in different situations. To do one and not include the other is limiting your arsenal. You pick and choose dependent upon the effect you want to have or rather what you're trying to accomplish.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 10:00pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a choice. You don't have to do one over the other. His comment about the swing and reaction of the bag is completely off base. You can do a swinging or a thrusting round kick. Each one will be used in different situations. To do one and not include the other is limiting your arsenal. You pick and choose dependent upon the effect you want to have or rather what you're trying to accomplish.
    Ok, I get what you're saying. My mental block is that I've always thought of the roundhouse as swinging, so really I'm just looking for a way to think about it that will make the thrusting roundhouse easier to "get."

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 10:02pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swinging a Baseball bat to the ribs
    Swinging an axe to the legs.

Aim behind the target either way.

That's how I was always told to visualize it.

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 7:43am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two other things which I would probably have newbs do.

a) make sure the pivoting leg is slightly outside and past the target to insure that the hips are open to the thing being kicked. If your pivoting foot is between the padholders legs, you're probably open to the wrong target.

b) particularly when it's a low-line target, try to visualize hitting the target on the way down, insstead of the way up(hitting it directly horizontal is fine to). If you're hitting it on the way down, your hips are probably turned over pretty well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 10:19am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that last slow-mo kick was so wrong....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 10:20am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^ QUOTED for being the fucking TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blotter art.

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 10:52am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off

Actually thank you for real for this contribution. So would you think of the kick as more a sideways strike (which is my mode of thinking and my mental block right now) or a forward thing as Ryan said in the video?
    I'd trust omega's judgement, but I have never thought of a roundkick as a "forward" motion. I think you are getting too hung up on semantics. Turn the foot, pull the shoulder back, and let the hip get pulled out while you fling your shin as hard as you can at whatever you want to hurt.

Good luck with the MT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 10:53am

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I know what you Khun Kao and Omega mean by "swinging" or a "thrusting" round kick. Do you mean Thrusting like a Cut kick or Thrusting like (what i would call) musiling through it? To Kick as deep as possible?

Can anyone Show me a Video Difference:munky2:

I agree with you guys on different techniques for different scenarios. "People say doesn't that leave you open?" or "thats not hard enough!" Or "thats too hard, too much body commitment" I always tell them fighting is give and take on variation, not a instructional video.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast