Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: AIKIDO,jujutsu,kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Workouts for the younger people.

Now what I do not see too often here are articles about young people starting to do martial arts. What sort of excercises should they do? What Should they not do? How many squats they should do per day. How many situps, pressups. For what age groups as well 10-12 12-14 14-16 16-18 18-20. And since you people are the best in martial arts around I decided to ask you. I am sorry if this question has arisen before aswell but there are hundreds of pages in the physical training forum. Please do criticise me and please tell me on how to improve (and I have read all the forums for noobs...). Please do not block me straigh away.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 12:23pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry. It's a valid question, someone should be able to help you. Also- welcome to bullshido.

It's not my area of expertise, so I personally can't really be of much help here. I'm sure some of the more knowledgable chaps will chime in here eventually.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kids can do practically the same things as adults once they reach puberty. Make sure they keep good form and don't go too heavy...pretty much like for normal weight training.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WadoRyu Karate, Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not going too heavy is the main thing. Their joints are not quite solid at several stages of their development, so a strain may have much longer consequences than it would with an adult.

Kids and teens generally excel at any kind of bodyweight exercise, so I emphasize that over any kind of lifting.

Any heavy bag training needs to be light until 16 or so. Focus mitts and other targets with some give would be preferred.

Other than that, basically anything is good, but too much of anything is bad. Common sense rules.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never really got the whole "bodyweight is ok for kids, but lifting is not" point of view. Your body can't really tell if it's lifting iron of if it's lifting itself, all it knows is that it's encountering resistance. A handstand push-up is gonna be a helluva lot more resistance than 5lb DB overhead presses.

I've seen 7 years old out performing the power lifts, including heavy deads. It's a pretty cool site.
    Last edited by Emevas; 5/22/2008 1:20pm at .
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you this is all very useful. I do not really get it why teens and kids are usually better at body lift exercises but it is true. But that is not true for almost everybody, my friend at school is really skinny but he can do a lot more pull ups than me I however have a lot more muscle on my hands compared to my body but i can do half what he does with his own weight and i can lift him up very easily and i can lift up more weight than him. And I forgot to ask what sort of things should they aim at?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what purposes are you training them? A kid with aspirations of powerlifting is gonna be different than an olympic lifter, than a boxer, than an etc.

And again, how are kids better at bodyweight exercises than lifting ones? How are we qualifying "better"?
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WadoRyu Karate, Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reasoning behind bodyweight for kids, is that they cannot overload their developing joints. (Outside of high impact gymnastics, though. You make a good point.)

The theory would be that by design the joint can handle the weight you can put against it yourself, but exceeding that with additional weight, especially by several times the amount, may cause damage that would screw up the development of the joint.

We all know that kids can lift, but the question would be to the long term consequenses of strain on developing joints. We know the kind of damage years of powerlifting can do to adults, so what about knobby kneed 10 year olds who need those joints for decades more than the adult lifter.

I don't claim to be an expert, but that is the general premise I operate under.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I figure as long as you are keeping the weight reasonable, the joints should be able to handle the load, and even get stronger as the weight increases.

I got an old copy of powerlifting USA that addresses this. I'll hafta dig it up sometime.
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 1:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would train them for a MMA fighter since I think they are best balanced they do kicking, punching and grappling.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast