Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 1:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    So, high kicks suck unless they work, in which case they're good.
    It's just a silly way of saying, it's a high risk for high reward move. The dangers associated with high kicking are true, but there's no denying they hit harder than the hardest punch and can rock someone even through a block.

That guy is technically correct though that a high kick will have less power, but the head weighs 10 lbs, so even if you lose 25% power kicking high, you still have more than enough to knock their head off.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/08/2008 1:31am at .

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 1:38am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    It's just a silly way of saying, it's a high risk for high reward move. The dangers associated with high kicking are true, but there's no denying they hit harder than the hardest punch and can rock someone even through a block.

That guy is technically correct though that a high kick will have less power, but the head weighs 10 lbs, so even if you lose 25% power kicking high, you still have more than enough to knock their head off.
    Thank you, that was a much better way of saying it. I'd agree, although I'm not really sure how much power you lose kicking high if you're flexible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 9:38am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lonedragon01
    I thought I was done with proving and explaining myself awhile ago, but I keep falling into the debating and arguing trap. You know what? everybody has their own opinions. So the best thing to do is experiment and find what works for you and stick with it, whether it be high kicks, low kicks , BJJ, Boxing,or what have you (sorry if I left anyones particular style out). there is no best #1 do it all style of fighting out there.
    You're a bullshitter.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High kicks work just fine in any scenario if you are skilled at using them. If you disagree with that then I would say that you don't know much about fighting.

Of course any technique can be countered, low kicks can be exploited as well as high kicks.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 2:42pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kick people in the head all the time with great result. So do ALOT of fighters.

Why the hell are we even debating this?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    7/08/2008 6:01pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    You're a bullshitter.
    Obviously.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 6:17am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To any southpaws out there i HIGHLY recommend the roundhouse to the ribs when they close in to punch. I've been getting my arse kicked an awful lot at this new gym but this kick always seems to pay off.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 6:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** only works for southpaws?
    You might want elaborate on your "tactic" because right now I just read round house to the rib when they strike. Which leaves a couple of questions, such as how do you kick this kick due to the different distances for kicks and strikes . You must be kicking with your leg still bent and hit with the shin. And how do you kick, is it a knee up hip rotation kick or do you kick it from "outside to inside" because in this case you can't put in almost no power... please explain.

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:39am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, it might work for norms but i don't really see other people using it and i never fight in that stance so i can only advise it from my personal experience if that makes sense. With opposite footing i could see some nasty elbow hits, it just seems to be a sweet spot for hitting on southpaws. The kick is a typical MT roundhouse, pivot front foot while swinging the rear leg up and then down with hip rotation straight into the ribs.

There is plenty of power in it, I've dropped a couple of intermediate fighters so far with this kick for 10-30 secs. The distance is all about timing, you know how often you will circle each other just out of kick range and then one person will come forward very quickly to get in punching range and throw some combos? As soon as i see them move i throw the kick and if the timing is right it collects them at a vulnerable moment in a very tender area.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 9:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you use this when they are trying to bridge/close the gap and not so much when they are in striking distance "throwing" a punch right?

And does it work for southpaw vs. southpaw? Is it because of the open stance situation? I have some trouble getting the picture.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast