Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:22pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm usually shorter and a worse boxer than whoever I'm sparring so I usually use my legs and keep a good distance, unless I'm trying to work on fighting inside or boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 4:09pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty much all I do. I use my hands to set up my kicks with the goal of removing your head a la Cro Cop. But then again, in kickboxing you don't have to worry about the takedown. In MMA, unless you are really confident in your kicking, I'd keep those kicks rib-level or lower and follow up with you hands/takedown/whatever it is you usually do.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 5:42pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Vince the real reason is because Jardine's form sucks. There is a reason they call him an "unconventional" striker. That's another word for someone that hits hard despite bad form. These people usually have big holes in their game that go unexploited for a long time because they have a good chin or are really aggressive. Chris Leben comes to mind.
    Jardine hunches up and doesn't turn his hip over when he kicks. He throws those upward-arcing round kicks you see soccer moms doing when they first start hitting pads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 5:52pm

Style: Pankration/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    He's talking about MMA. He said so in the first sentence. What the **** is up with people not reading the OP's these days?

Anyway. I think you should set up kicks with punches and set up punches with kicks. Keep mixing **** up. What I have found works is to throw low-high combinations. For example, throwing a left body hook, and then a high kick has shown lots of results for me.
    Also, if you can catch your opponent turning, then you can blast away with body/head kicks.

I only throw body kicks when I think they are going to land, because they are easily caught. Also, as was mentioned before, you can catch an elbow. I throw head kicks very often, because they worry the **** out of people, and they are very hard to catch. I can then fake the head kick and follow with a superman punch.

That legkicks are necessary goes without saying. They are low risk and high percentage. Throw them a lot.
    agree 100%

When fight i find i will throw leg kicks most of the time. Sometimes i will throw a real hard High kick to his head when he has his guard up and kick his forearm that is covering his head as hard as i can..

This normaly gets em real worried about my high kicks so everytime i raise me leg they seem to cover up high..

this in turns allows me "some" freedom in kicking away at their legs and mid sections. I do it this way because there is nothing worse than trying to kick your opponent in the mid section only to have him defend it with his "freekin" elbow which kills.. Maybe i just got real shitty weak shins...

One thing i definately do is always try and make sure all the kicks i throw are hard and fast as i can make em...

one of my coaches told me that when im in an MMA fight i should ALWAYS throw evry kick and punch like it would be my last strike. Even my feints should be as hard as i can throw em..

This has worked for me.. just my 2 cents

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 3:43am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nexttime
    agree 100%

this in turns allows me "some" freedom in kicking away at their legs and mid sections. I do it this way because there is nothing worse than trying to kick your opponent in the mid section only to have him defend it with his "freekin" elbow which kills.. Maybe i just got real shitty weak shins...
    *shudder* One of my most painful sparring experiences was when i hit an elbow with my foot with a full strength kick (misjudged the distance). Couldn't walk without a limp for over a week.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 7:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my middle three toes on my left foot hitting an elbow whilst sparring the day before what our highschool called "Pacers" which were PT tests. Flexibility, STrength, and Endurance. What was sad was that I could pull off a limp-skip for the endurance (running) easily until the "satisfactory" amount of laps was reached.

I still have a knob of bone on the top of my toes where they meet with the joint. I Think they are the philanges. It was dark black for days but I dont have any impediment in the joint mobility or pain.

And last week for the first time since then I broke the same spot in my first little toe on the same foot. this one isnt healing quite so quickly cause I've aggravated it working. fun fun.

point: elbows win
    Last edited by Kaoz; 6/25/2008 8:43am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:16pm

Style: Pankration/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also i would like to add i am rather short so my arms are not as long as most of the people i spar. therefor i do rely on kicks.

mainly i kick to close the distance but thereare times when kicking aint effective. Those times are usually when u just throw lame kicks for the sake of throwing kicks...

i cannot stress enough how much a good kick is worth... i have hurt people real good with kicks who would have beaten me if i tried to just box them. But i kicked em hard enough to hurt them and go on to win..

this doesnt happen all the time ..... 50 / 50

if someone was to teach me a 100% move i would use it... i dont think one exist...

does it ???

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:04am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kick people.

They get hurt.

This os hiow kicks come into play in my strategy.

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:17am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't throw many leg kicks at all, i'm not fast enough to be able to pull them off like some of the better fighters in my gym so i usually end up destroying my shins on their knees.

The kick i use mainly is the teep, my karate bullshido training at least taught me how to throw them fast, so i very rarely get caught. I'm a big fan of using my back roundhouse (southpaw) to the ribs to counter straight punches, i seem to have a very high hit rate and my height puts me out of range of a counter usually. My big focus now is on headkicks, since i'm 6'2 at around 150lbs i really need to be able to KO people with headkicks since i will be fighting much stronger, shorter people.

PS: ended up in hospital this morning getting my foot xrayed for a possible broken bone due to a kick gone wrong last night. The whole foot is swollen to twice the size (won't fit in my shoes) and hurts like hell. I've never really broken that 'kick with the foot' karate habit.
    Last edited by Sang; 6/27/2008 12:20am at .

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    Just a little side note, I was unsure if kicking an elbow was such a painful experience as I thought it was so I took a little refreshment today while sparring and yes, it is as painful as I remembered it.
    So if you kick try not to hit the elbow.
    Mwahahaha, taught the elbow drop defense in class this week...
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast