Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 1:19pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxers Stance

I just started training straight boxing at a boxing gym. I have been training in kickboxing for almost 8 years. The boxers stance is a little different than I'm used to. I'm going to be competing in kickboxing matches and eventually mma. I figured training just boxing will help sharpen my hand skills.

What are the pros and cons of the boxers stance when it comes to fighting kickboxing?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 2:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    leg kicks.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm interested in this topic as well.

i have started going to a boxing gym hoping to sharpen up my punches and especially to work on my defenses (slipping, counter-punching, etc.)

an added bonus would be picking up good drills to use in sanda classes.

i have been noticing that they don't like when i use footwork when striking, i.e. taking a 45degree angle step forward with my lead foot when i throw a cross (to open up my hip and cover distance.) of course i bring the back foot up as well keeping my feet shoulder width apart the whole time. instead they harp on me just raising the rear heel when i throw a cross.

part of this may be due to the added distance involved in kickboxing vs. boxing, i'm not sure. i'd like to hear what else they change about your stance/movement, and if they give any justification.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 4:12pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i have been noticing that they don't like when i use footwork when striking, i.e. taking a 45degree angle step forward with my lead foot when i throw a cross (to open up my hip and cover distance.) of course i bring the back foot up as well keeping my feet shoulder width apart the whole time. instead they harp on me just raising the rear heel when i throw a cross.
    I don't see why they would take issue with that - it sounds like textbook boxing technique to me.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which boxer's stance? There's many.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the one I'm thinking of is extremely vulnerable to foot sweeps.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to assume you mean Boxer's stance in the most conventional sense of the word.

Here's a quick description:

Stand with your feet slightly more than shoulder width apart then step back with your strong leg so that your feet are lined up "heel to toe". Once your feet are in the correct place you are going to bend your knees with your back straight and most of the weight on your back leg. you then turn your upper body at the hips with your weak arm forward, and your body angled off. Both hands up by your cheeks, chin tucked, shoulders high, and elbows tight to your ribcage.

Biggest problem with this stance is takedowns by far. It's very difficult to mount a decent takedown defense, hence the "sloppy" square stance you usually see in MMA. heavy kicks to the leg can also take you off balance and land with relative ease, and it doesn't really address the clinch.

Best thing about this stance is superior defense to outside strikes above the waist, maximum speed and power on all punches while maintaining maximum defense from outside strikes above the waist. Quick angle changes, and mobility are also pluses
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 8:15pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri
    I'm going to assume you mean Boxer's stance in the most conventional sense of the word.

Biggest problem with this stance is takedowns by far. It's very difficult to mount a decent takedown defense, hence the "sloppy" square stance you usually see in MMA. heavy kicks to the leg can also take you off balance and land with relative ease, and it doesn't really address the clinch.

Best thing about this stance is superior defense to outside strikes above the waist, maximum speed and power on all punches while maintaining maximum defense from outside strikes above the waist. Quick angle changes, and mobility are also pluses
    \

That pretty much sums it up.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    iv changed my stance recently to have the weight distributed relatively evenly between both feet and stay on the toes.. it helps a little bit for avoiding leg kicks just because you can lift up your leg easier.. plus iv managed to develop a bomb of a right cross from it

i try to make a compromise stance between boxing and muay thai just so that i can use what i learn in boxing in muay thai (which is the whole reason i started boxing)

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey
    . plus iv managed to develop a bomb of a right cross from it
    the weight on your back leg is where your power comes from. I'm not doubting that you can hit hard with that stance, but you would hit much harder with your right cross if you had more weight on the back leg. I don't see why this would effect leg-kicks either. please explain as I'm still fairly new to Muay Thai.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast