Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:28am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Do you plan to just swim a mile in a certain amount of time like a spaz or are you trying to do it with proper technique and finesse. I get that you have previous experience in swimming. I swam for a number of years without really having a clue about a proper training regime until I took a class that I thought would be a blow off course in college. The instructor kicked my ass and I thought I was going to die.

This is why many people still claim you can't get a proper work out from swimming.

After I finished the semester, I had correct stroke, kick, and breathing and I sort of knew what a workout should look like.
    Makes a world of difference doesn't it?

I suggest subscribing to Matt Luber's blog on swimming at about.com. He sends out weekly blasts on swimming info, training, and dieting. It might help you out some with setting up a good workout.
    Thank you. I couldn't remember this, the book link, or the workout link others, as well as myself, have posted.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:43am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully I'll be doing it with proper technique, I had swimming lessons from about 3 til I was 16, so I hope I remember some of it!!

Thanks for the link will give that a go as well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 3:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, I've coached swimming, running, and triathletes off and on for fifteen years. If you're looking for a workout you can do in less than forty minutes, given your level of fitness, I would start with something like this:

Week 1 Day 1:
    2x{50M swim, 50M pull, 50M Kick - this is a warm up so take it easy
    2 x 300M with 2:00 min rest
    4 x 50 M kick at 2:00 min (or an interval you can make with 10-20 sec rest)

Day 2:
    6 x 100M with 30 seconds rest in between intervals
    4 x 50 M kick at 2:00 min ( or an interval you can make with 10-20 sec rest)

Day 3
    12 x 50M @ 1:30 (or an interval you can consistently make with 10-20 sec rest)

Things to keep in mind:
    * The big clock with the sweep hand is your friend. Swim in a lane where you can see it.
    * Don't blow yourself out your first week. Adjust interval time and numbers down if you feel like its too much too soon. The goal is to finish the mile in six weeks, not do all the work in the first week. (Also, I may have stuffed up the interval times. The may be too optimistic).
    * Once you get a sense of what you can do - the first week might be a wash - add an interval or two to the middle set every week.
    * Also feel free to mix in other strokes/sets when things get stale.
    * After three weeks or so you should be able to find other workouts online.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 3:21pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dumblucky
    For what it's worth, I've coached swimming, running, and triathletes off and on for fifteen years. If you're looking for a workout you can do in less than forty minutes, given your level of fitness, I would start with something like this:

Week 1 Day 1:
    2 x 300M with 2:00 min rest
    4 x 50 M kick at 2:00 min (or an interval you can make with 10-20 sec rest)

Day 2:
    6 x 100M with 30 seconds rest in between intervals

Day 3
    12 x 50M @ 1:30 (or an interval you can consistently make with 10-20 sec rest)

Things to keep in mind:
    * The big clock with the sweep hand is your friend. Swim in a lane where you can see it.
    * Don't blow yourself out your first week. Adjust interval time and numbers down if you feel like its too much too soon. The goal is to finish the mile in six weeks, not do all the work in the first week. (Also, I may have stuffed up the interval times. The may be too optimistic).
    * Once you get a sense of what you can do - the first week might be a wash - add an interval or two to the middle set every week.
    * Also feel free to mix in other strokes/sets when things get stale.
    * After three weeks or so you should be able to find other workouts online.

Good luck.
    I vote you provide a more detailed tri workout. I'd like to hear what you've got to offer.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 3:37pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, yes. I second that. I'm running my first triatholon in early july, and I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without knowing you personally / seeing you train, chances are that I won't be able to come up with anything better than the free training programs that you can find on the web. See www.beginnertriathlete.com.

Still, if you are serious, the minimum I need to know is:

* How many weeks away is your race?
    * How long is the race and how is it broken down?

The questions you need to answer for yourself is:

* why am I racing?
    * how much time and commitment am I really willing to give?
    * what do you want to get out of it?

The reality is that a moderately serious tri training schedule is going to take away from your martial arts training. Although there can be some overlap (depends on the type of race), you generally are training different energy systems. (Endurance increases at the expense of explosive strength).

I've had good luck planning around a heart rate training, which takes some getting used to. Especially if you are coming from a weightlifting/wrestling type background. But if you just plan on doing one tri and seeing how it goes, you won't need to worry about it or do something expensive like buy a heart rate monitor.

However, you will need:

* good sneakers
    * a decent bike
    * googles
    * a bathing suit you aren't embarrassed to be seen in. It may double as your running shorts. Careful of chaffing.
    * sunglasses, sunscreen, a water bottle.

If you need to buy anything, go for sturdy over sleek. This stuff tends to get used hard and needs to last.

If you are looking for reading material, I recommend:

*Triathletes Training Bible - Joe Friel - this has some pretty good training programs in it.
    *Heart Rate Training - Sally Edwards
    *Serious Training for Serious Athletes - Rob Sleamaker
    *Total Immersion - Terry Laughlin - but only if you've never had a swim coach.
    *Anything by Joe Galloway on running.

Some of those books are a bit dated but still solid. They should get you started.

Finally, even though triathletes have a reputation for being neurotic, I recommend you try to find and train with some. It's hard to get better swimming without a coach but it's virtually impossible to get better on the bike without riding with more experienced cyclists. You just pick up a lot of good habits.

Sorry for the length. Let me know if you need more.

Good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 10:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honesty,

I'm not currently fat, but I have been overweight in the past, especially right after college when real sports ended and desk jockeying began. I made the mistake of relying on "aerobics" like running, swimming, stationary machines, etc.

For me, the key to losing flab and maintaining a healthy weight was finding activities that I enjoyed doing. I couldn't overcome the mind-numbing boredom of swimming back and forth, or peddling in place. I needed some game, some competition to be motivated.

If it turns out you don't enjoy swimming laps, you won't stick with it and you won't maintain your initial weight loss. If that happens, try to learn new sports or martial arts and see what sticks. What you learn will help you for life.

Where I live we have a bunch of community recreation programs where you can take lessons in almost any sport for a very low cost. I've tried many sports I never imagined I'd try.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 12:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumblucky beat me to it. I swam competitively for a long time and have done Triathlons. Swimming a mile as a goal won't get you in shape very fast. Swimming intervals like he suggested will be awesome. The only thing I'd reconsider is all the kicking. Your kick has to be pretty good for that to be anything except an exercise in frustration. Also, if you are as out of shape as you say you are I might start with that day 3 workout for awhile and play with the rest period until you can actually complete it. If its been a while even a single 200m swim will tire you out.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 3:15pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the info.

I've been doing this now for a week or so, and it seems to be going well so far. The pool is 33.3 metres long which is a bit of an odd length, so I'll say what I'm doing in lengths!

I'm currently just getting my stamina back so I'm doing (this week, I'm trying to increase the total number by 4 lengths each week) a total of 32 lengths, broken down as:
    4 warm up lengths, then 4 fast lengths, the 3 lots of: 1 fast lengths 6 breaststoke lengths then 1 fast length then a rest.

Once I'm feeling a bit better at swimming I'll be doing more intervals like above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 2:43pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one for you-try this for time once you start getting bored swimming laps:

In the deep end, pull yourself up onto the edge of the pool as if you were about to get out (muslce up) do this 15 times
    swim 75m with arms only
    Do 15 pushups
    Swim 75m with arms only.
    Repeat 5 times.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12