Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 7:46am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swimming

I'm a fat bastard. I've been stuck behind a desk now for 10 years and through that time I've been a lazy bastard as well. I'm 5' 10" and 215 lbs and very unfit. I dont have much time in the day to do a long workout programme so I'm trying to squeeze some excersize in my lunch hours now.

The local pool here is only 5 minutes drive away from work and a monthly pass is pretty cheap, only 20 quid. before I went to uni I used to swim rather well, mile in about 30 - 40 minutes, but many years, and much cake later, I'm not sure what my targets should be. So how many laps/what distance should I be aiming to squeeze in in a 1 hour (40 minutes in the pool). I tried today and did half a mile in that time....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:20am

Style: Dirty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want to get in shape, run a mile (around 1600 meters) before breakfast every day along with the swimming, and eat lightly.

As far as swimming goes, anyone who sets a definite goal for you is either going to limit or discourage you. Just swim your ass off, working your way up to the mile in around 35 minutes if possible (which could take a while depending in what shape you were in back then, so don't get discouraged if your gains are not that impressive).

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:35am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a very good thread on swimming:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=swimming

You do need to set goals if, you are trying to lose weight and get back in shape.

Limiting yourself is necessary if, you areas out of shape as you make it sound. You can discourage yourself and end up right back where you started.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, I read that, but didn't want to get in shite for necroing a post!

So what would a reasonable goal be? A mile in 6 weeks time?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by 'a mile in 6 weeks time'?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That in 6 weeks time, training 3 times a week, I should be able to swim a mile.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:57am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realize swimming a mile, with no goal, is going to be the same as walking a mile.

You'll get benefits but, they will be negligible to what you want.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    Yeh, I read that, but didn't want to get in shite for necroing a post!

So what would a reasonable goal be? A mile in 6 weeks time?
    ... How far is a mile again? Round two Kilometers? I'm being lazy. Sorry.

OK, as far as how long/fast you should be swimming, it depends on you and how you want to swim. If you're unsure jump in for half an hour or so and see how many laps you can do without pushing yourself and base your goals on that.

Also, if the pool is close and you have time, walk. I used to run (read: jog) in to work all the time and doing laps is a good way to cool down.

Oh, and this isn;t important at all, but i feel awesome that both my thread and cake have been mention here.

**** i love cake.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.6k to the mile (ish).

Yep I realise that, though I want to make sure I can do the distance then increase the speed. I was hoping you could give me some sort of times/distance based goals? I jumped in today, and did 800 metres ok ish in the time I had.

Cake is definitely good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:24am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you plan to just swim a mile in a certain amount of time like a spaz or are you trying to do it with proper technique and finesse. I get that you have previous experience in swimming. I swam for a number of years without really having a clue about a proper training regime until I took a class that I thought would be a blow off course in college. The instructor kicked my ass and I thought I was going to die. After I finished the semester, I had correct stroke, kick, and breathing and I sort of knew what a workout should look like.

I'm currently training for a tri. I thought I had a clue about what I was doing until I got my bike and started working out with some folks that actually run triathlons and know wtf they're talking about. They are very purposeful with their whole workout. I'm learning a crapton from them.

I suggest subscribing to Matt Luber's blog on swimming at about.com. He sends out weekly blasts on swimming info, training, and dieting. It might help you out some with setting up a good workout.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast