Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Open mouth, insert Superfoot

Yes, our boy Bill does it again this month. Black Belt Magazine features yet another article by Bill about how he would change MMA. (For contrast it also includes a supposed close look at no touch KO's, more on that in another forum)

Here is the article in its entirety.

Black Belt Magazine , July 2008, Vol 46, No. 7.

Full Contact Section, by Bill Wallace.

How I would change MMA.

In my 2008 column, I came down pretty hard on the mixed martial arts, but my only real complaint is that the figthers spend too much time on the ground. They keep saying the matches are as close to an actual fight as they can be, and when they are on their feet, I dont have any doubts about that.
    But when they go to the ground, a lot of it is just wrestling. If you were in a real fight on a concrete or the hardwood floor of a bar, those surfaces wouldn't be very conducive to good movements. Thats why MMA referees should be instructed to let the fights go down and if someone doesn't get a hold right away-if five or 10 seconds go by and there's no clear advantage- thay should call it a stalemate and stand them up again.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    So no one ever get staken to the ground in a real fight? Of course, Bill hits the nail on the head when he informs us that once your body touches terra firma that your central nervous system shuts down and you are unable to continue fighting. Maybe the Gracies have magic powers.
    You're probably saying to yourself that MMA officials already do that when there's no progress, but the amount of time that passes is up to the referee. Some refs will let it go for 30 seconds or a minute before they do anything. Then the crowd starts booing because the fighters have been on the ground too long. The whole purpose of the event is to be a spectator sport, not a referees sport.

I actually did say that to myself. Then I realised how loudly it echoed in my toilet closet, so I stopped talking out loud.
    The crowd starts booing because they are morons who dont understand the art of MMA. Unfortunately, they are the money behind the sport so what are ya gonnna do?
    Of course, its cavalier of BW to blame the booing on ground fighting (something he isnt known for BTW) and not ignorant redneck fans.

How beautiful would it be if a guy sent his opponent to the mat-with a throw, a punch, or a kick-then jumped behind him right away with a choke or a standing armbar? That should be the goal, not what we have now, which is usually involves taking a guy down and doing one thing after another, or just getting him on the mat and pounding him.

WOW!!! what a wonderful concept Bill....nobody in the world of thugs and low lifes that are the bulk of MMA fighters would EVER have thought of that!!!1!!!1.
    Then again, nobody likes to see the fighters just wrestle trying to get a choke or armbar. It makes the crowd boo, remember Bill?
    In the martial arts , you spend your life learning boxing strategies and defenses. You try to emphasize the art over street fighting. Then you step in to the Octagon, and your opponent takes you down with the most basic move. Thats OK, but then he starts pounding you like a sixth-grader beating up a fifth grader in the schoolyard.

Didnt Bill say last month that nobody in MMA kicks anymore? Now suddenly they dont punch either? How does one emphasize the art over street fighting? By doing hours of kata and point sparring?
    Of course, if the 5th grader knew any ground work, he wouldnt be getting pounded would he Bill? Oh wait, yes he would, because of the common phenomenon of peoples bodies shutting down when the hit the ground in a fight. Happens all the time. Usually to Kung Fu, TKD, Karate "Masters" who flail about wildly when taken down. Bill may be right after all.
    Another thing that bothers me about MMA is the punching. You can watch a boxer get punched in the face and shoulders for 12 rounds and never get knocked down, but in MMA, a guy throws one punch and drops his enemy. Granted , boxers use 8-ounce and 10-ounce gloves, while MMA uses 4-ounce gloves, and there are a few spots on a persons head that function like knockouts buttons-get tagged on one of them and you are going down. But in MMA practitioners cant be that much better at punching than boxers are. If they were, they'd be boxing and making a lot more money.

Yeah nobody makes ANY money in MMA. Maybe there are more KO's in MMA because the fighters are SO technically superior to boxers that they can regularly hit these "few spots on a persons head".
    Knocking someone out involves a combination of factors, but MMA fighters just seem to try more frequently for that almighty knockout shot. To make the matches more fun to watch , they should also train to take a shot. For that to happen, they need more than just cardivascular endurance: they also have to build their neck and shoulders so they can witatnds the punishment.

Yeah because we all like to see boxers hanging on each other panting for breath in the first round. Maybe they spend TOO much time working on their neck and shoulder muscles.
    Who says that seing a KO isnt fun to watch? Didnt Bill KO a lot of people? Using his logic, those fights wereht fun to watch.
    These days, lots of people teach MMA around the world. Wrestlers and would-be wrestlers teach the double leg takedown and numerous finishing holds, which is fine because anything and everything helps- as long as the student picks something up. The unfotunate part of that even though all these jiu-jitsu and judo techniques are being spread around, the No.1 takedown is still the double leg. Its the first move you learn in wrestling, and its the takedown you practice the most because in general , the basics work.. However, when your opponent knows how to defend against the basics, you've got to have something else in your bag of tricks. And thats where some MMA guys fall short.

So they should or shouldnt teach the basics Bill? You cant have it both ways.
    First Bill complains that they shouldnt go to the ground and begin punching an opponent if they dont immeadiatley sink a hold. Well Bill, consider this one the "tricks" from their bag.
    Nevertheless, the skill level of MMA fighters is getting better all the time. I'd love to see two really good , versatile athletes face each other ina a match. I've been very impressed by Anderson Silva and Cung Le. They have good stand-up skills, plus they're able to defend themsleves on the ground. They're examples of how I think the sport should evolve. All competitiors should be able to use stand up techniques and know some ground moves so they don't have to always rely on the basics.

Yeah Bill, I would love to see some athletes in MMA too. Damn thugs always dragging each other to the ground with "basic moves."
    As for those two fighters being able to defend themsleves on the ground....I thought that ground fighting was useless. Make up your mind Bill me boy.
    Even though it's not MMA, I have to say that I've gone to a couple of Chuick Norris' World Combat League events, and I love them. I'd only change one thing, and thats because of the way I fight; Insetad of one three minute round, I'd make it two, two minute rounds. Thats because people who arent big enough and strong enough to knock the living crap out of somebody in one three minute round, you could see what the other guy's got. The in the second round, you could work your combinations and movements.

So Bill doesnt like MMA because its not how he fights. Thats what it seems to me. He likes WCL, because its the type of fighting he is known for, and he is angry at MMA because his ship has sailed and nobody loves him anymore.
    BTW, no kidding it isnt MMA Bill, otherwise more than 12 people would watch it.

Norris used to fight competitively, so he knows whats involved. He probably set it up this way to create more action, but that action would still be there if they used two rounds. Having two rounds would also help create heroes. Whether you're talking about Karate, kickboxing, MMA or any other professional sport, people love to see heroes.

So Bill wants a hero that emulates him, is what this all boils down too. I understand that BW doesnt like MMA because it isnt what he likes to see in a pro fight, but to trash the sport so publicly, and then contradict yourself in the same article is assinine at best. Maybe Bill should proofread more.

Face it Bill, your fifteen minutes have been up for a looooong time, you are the only person that doesnt know it.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What an idiot.

I hope someone writes a counter piece that actually gets put in BB mag.

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had to stop reading, what an ignorant clown. He sounds so pathetic.

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 6:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you have is a guy who dominated the full contact game (as it existed) for years who then sees a paradigm shift that causes his previous accomplishments to be marginalized. He's lashing out from sheer frustration. It's sad really.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 6:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    What you have is a guy who dominated the full contact game (as it existed) for years who then sees a paradigm shift that causes his previous accomplishments to be marginalized. He's lashing out from sheer frustration. It's sad really.
    also, funny.

He could do what some people did....and ADAPT.

but no...why do that?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, Bill! You are a TREASURE.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The part about making MMA "More realistic" by giving it judo-like immediate standups cracked me up, though. Because in the street, there are no rules. But fortunately, there is a referee to stand you up after ten seconds.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    Oh, Bill! You are a TREASURE.
    He is THA MANZ

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bill was a clown when MMA first broke onto the scene he continues to entertain us over 10 years later! In addition, Black Belt magazine is trash - still catering to the dying breed of Bullshidoka.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 9:44pm

Style: 777

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By his logic boxing should have no glove, time limits, and also allow legs and elbows as well as grappling because hey, if you were in a bar that is allowed right.

Give it up old man, your time has passed.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast