Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    I don't like workouts like this. Too much noveau training: push a truck, a wheelbarrow with 2 wheels doesn't count. It looks like the stuff Monson did to prep himself for losing to Sylvia...
    I kinda agree with you with this. Unless there was something more going on in this workout (or in other workouts as part of her training program), it looks as if the loads were too heavy for her to use explosively and with speed. She's unable to move quickly with the wheelbarrow or while flipping the tire.

If one looks at similar cavemen training done by fighters and non-fighters, the common factor is speed and explosiveness. I dunno, maybe there is something else missing in the clip.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 1:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMAyou.com: (laughing) Alright. Is there anyone youíd like to face right now?

Ferguson: Nah, Iím justÖ I donít want to call anyone out cause to me thatís kind of rude, you know? To just assume youíre gonna kick someoneís ass. You just gotta be prepared for a battle, you know what IĎm sayin? Thatís what itís all about. One on one. Two guys getting in there and itís a real life chess game.

MMAyou.com: Where would you rank yourself in the worldwide heavyweight rankings?

Ferguson: I mean IímÖ I dunno dude. Thereís a lot of great heavyweights out there man. Iím a big fan of all those guys and itís just so awesome to be in the midst of these guys, amongst them. Weíre all from the same walk of life.

Everyone starts from somewhere and the ultimate goal is to eventually become king of that cage. To be on top with holding your hand up. And thatís what itís about, you know? If I was ranking myself, you know, I donít know. Thatís not for me to decide.
    From now on, everytime I see another arrogant **** ranking himself or calling people out (whether because he really believes it or to pimp his fight) on TV, man, I'm gonna remember Kimbo's words.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not the real Kimbo, that's a Skrull.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 2:33pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I kinda agree with you with this. Unless there was something more going on in this workout (or in other workouts as part of her training program), it looks as if the loads were too heavy for her to use explosively and with speed. She's unable to move quickly with the wheelbarrow or while flipping the tire.

If one looks at similar cavemen training done by fighters and non-fighters, the common factor is speed and explosiveness. I dunno, maybe there is something else missing in the clip.
    Maybe that particular session was geared more toward maximal strength?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 3:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    From now on, everytime I see another arrogant **** ranking himself or calling people out (whether because he really believes it or to pimp his fight) on TV, man, I'm gonna remember Kimbo's words.
    Calling people out is how you get fights that you would otherwise be undeserving of. Also, I creates drama which fuels sales. It may be rude, but it can also be a smart tactic.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 3:17pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Calling people out is how you get fights that you would otherwise be undeserving of. Also, I creates drama which fuels sales. It may be rude, but it can also be a smart tactic.
    Kinda like the Shamrock / Ortiz "rivalry". The problem with the calling out and posturing by fighters is that it makes MMA sound like the WWE.
    <insert witty comment>

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Kinda like the Shamrock / Ortiz "rivalry". The problem with the calling out and posturing by fighters is that it makes MMA sound like the WWE.
    Being a rasslin fan myself, I kinda like that aspect of MMA.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 8:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Yep, pretty much that's how I see it. It's a necessary evil to keep the bizness going (where "necessary evil" == appealing to the dumbfuckified.)

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 11:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    I don't like workouts like this. Too much noveau training: push a truck, a wheelbarrow with 2 wheels doesn't count. It looks like the stuff Monson did to prep himself for losing to Sylvia...
    just an IMO, that's all.

I worry that's it too slow a pace and that pushing a truck comes off as "showy"/irrelevant to fighting in a ring/cage. I LOVE anything crossfit, but this doesn't have enough fast-twitch action for a fight prep.

However, this could be a ruse, to make her training look lethargic and misdirected. After all, "The first rule about fight club? YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!"
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 12:10am

Style: BJJ, bad MT, ringworm fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the words of that dude from TUF, I predict Kimbo in round 1 via Murder. Poor James Thomson.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345