Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 2:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll ask Cheetah, but he's so freaking polite that he might not go there...Thais have so many goddamned fights by the time they are teenagers that its kind of ridiculous to worry about the actual records!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 5:14pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marinoble's is good.

Ultimate Fitness has an incredible striker in Master Thonglor, but he doesn't really do classes - but you can spar him and he does do seminars every now and then.

There's muaythaithaiboxing.com - but the head instructor has never actually fought in Muay Thai.

Andy K - the teacher I was asking about in this thread is here:

muaythailao.com

There's also Ultimate Training Center, James Irvin and Scott Smith train out of there.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll second Yojimbo's recommendations, except that I have no experience with Marinoble's. I do train with guys who trained there before Ultimate Fitness opened up, and they seem pretty competent.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Close Quarters

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right on, thanks! I'll check these out. My needs/wants are pretty simple. Any place that will allow me some open training and a place to do drills with some partners for a decent price will do the trick.

I saw a place called Warriors just moved or opened up next to Golds in Natomas so Iwent in and talked to the owner. Nice enough guy at a smaller facility that looked to be well provisioned. After training for years in San Jose at a hole in the wall, I get suspicious of anything shiny and new that has a lot of childrens programs. Since it's across the street from the new house, I'm going to go check it out for a few sessions.

Cheers

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SynDivision View Post
    Right on, thanks! I'll check these out. My needs/wants are pretty simple. Any place that will allow me some open training and a place to do drills with some partners for a decent price will do the trick.

I saw a place called Warriors just moved or opened up next to Golds in Natomas so Iwent in and talked to the owner. Nice enough guy at a smaller facility that looked to be well provisioned. After training for years in San Jose at a hole in the wall, I get suspicious of anything shiny and new that has a lot of childrens programs. Since it's across the street from the new house, I'm going to go check it out for a few sessions.

Cheers
    Yeah, Warriors seems pretty decently-equipped, but it's not a full-fledged MMA gym, it's a kid-oriented Krotty dojo that has Muay Thai or BJJ on weeknights. Master Thong from Ultimate Fitness is supposed to be teaching the Muay Thai classes. If you're looking for strictly striking, though, I don't think there's a better place in town than Andy K's place, Muay Thai Lao. It's right by Arden Fair Mall.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    4/26/2009 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

97-0?

Yojimbo,

I just happened to see your post regarding verification of Mr. Andy. I can tell you this much, I'm in my 30's now, and I first met Andy when I was 17. I started training in Muay Thai way before it was popular the way it is now. Andy was 1 of 4 trainers I had. From what I remember, he had never even fought before. In fact, I believe I witnessed his first match at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco, back when matches were held under Kickboxing rules. He was very nervous; he looked more nervous than I think I was when I first fought. He was knocked out in the second round, by a Laotian fighter who went on to become quite popular in the East Bay area. I know he went on to "train" Doug Evans, but from what I understand, Mr. Evans was already somewhat of an accomplished fighter before hooking up with Andy. Bottom Line: I would seriously question Andy's record. Also, he is not the only one out there making false claims regarding their "records" and training history. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2009 3:49pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will also note that Marinobles has a nice facility. The place is pretty big overall and they have a ton of classes, but not MT. It's more like international style kickboxing. Still they have some great instructors and great equipment; def worth stopping by to at least check it out. Mr Marinoble was pretty cool when I stopped in to look around a while back and gave me a full tour.

As for Adny K, I have nothing substantial to add save that I chatted online with a MT guy who lives in Sac and he didnt have anything nice to say about Andy K's place; he seem to feel that Andy K was a fraud, from a record standpoint.

Posted On:
    1/26/2013 1:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Andy k is a certified ajarn through Pud Pad Noy worawoot, Not just anyone gets certified, specially as an ajarn through a muay thai legend.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12