Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 1:07pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's probably what it was. I was only 11 or so at the time and firing my uncle's big ass guns. He probably told me it hurts everyone at first so I wouldn't worry too much about it and keep shooting.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 5:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Really? I guess it must all come down to proper form then?
    I've just got back from a week's worth of SAAM at the NRA ranges, I fired an average of a couple of hundred rounds each morning and afternoon through both 5.56mm IW and LSW, no shoulder problems at all and, our IW and LSW are not adjustable for stock length.

The key is being taught how to correctly hold, fire and follow-through; I concede that if recoil becomes excessive due to carbon buildup on gas a operated weapon the shoulder can take a bit of a beating however that comes down to the individual maintaining his/her weapon correctly, again even after nearly 200 rounds through my IW, I can't say there was a noticeable increase in recoil energy, obviously I appreciate there's a factor involved depending upon weapon and caliber and grain used.

Not attempting to teach people to suck eggs but; application of the marksmanship principles, specifically...

The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon

Provided the weapon isn't held with a vice like grip whist excessive 'pulling in' [to the shoulder] you should be able to fire a considerable number of rounds down range without issues with shoulders, indeed I find my arms tire (and I get bored) long before anything else.

--Dave

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodizapha
    Only fags shoot from the left shoulder, so that explains it. :-)))
    The picture was taken in a mirror.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL...

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 3:13am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't shoot more than 20 rounds at a sitting with my 30-30 for that reason. I don't bruise though. It just kicks.

...Oh and the fact that ammo is so freaking expensive!

Go shoot 100 rounds of 12 gauge in a day. That'll leave you sore fo sho!

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 7:16am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, Dave, it's method then. I haven't had any problems at all in my adult years.

So you're over in Iraq, huh?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:11am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodizapha
    I fired an average of a couple of hundred rounds each morning and afternoon through both 5.56mm...
    A gas operated rifle in 5.56 is not going to bump as much as a lever action 30-30. At least none of the rifles I've shot were like that.

I mainly shoot bolt action rifles (in .308) or a 12ga for skeet. The only thing that bothers me much is the 12 on skeet. I imagine that's got something to do with being in the standing position and firing doubles in rapid succession. I did notice a marked change when I moved from a pump to an auto-loader.

That said, I can't begin to think of why he's got a bruise. I think maybe I've been shooting for so long that I've forgotten the how-to and just do it.

I fail at being a PMI.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 2:53pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    So I took my recently purchaced 30-30 out shooting this weekend and have a nice rifle-butt sided bruise on my shoulder to prove it:

That was from about 30 rounds. I pulled the stock into my shoulder as tight as I could but it still hurt quite a bit. Is it normal to expect this kind of wear on the body from that many rounds or am I doing something wrong? Anyone have recomendations for gear (padding) to help reduce this problem? I'm a rifle noob and could use the help.
    Well, there are a couple of thoughts here.

First, are you using your left eye to aim? This isn't as silly as it sounds. "Cross-eye" puts the stock out of alignment and causes those kind of bruises.

Second, I assume you are using a Win Model 94? If so, which one? (regular, carbine, etc)

Tied to this, stock length, as mentioned in other replies. A proper length stock allows your holding arm (left, in your case) to pull in a straight line through the wrist and forearm and allows your shoulder hollow to lay perpindicular against the butt.

Third, when pulling in to your shoulder, use the top part of your palm and the full length of your fingers around the grip, with most of the gripping being done by your pinkie finger and the one next to it. Basically, the space between your first and second knuckle lays midline around the grip. Practice pulling in tight and holding. If it's done right, your holding arm does almost all the work, leaving your aiming arm to concentrate on fine adjustments. You should feel the pull being done more by the back and less by the arm.

Last (and this is only my opinion), padded clothing and padded buttstocks only provide for unwanted movement of the butt, making consistent shots very difficult.

I owned a '94 for a long time. Never had a better brush buster for hunting deer

Sorry, I just re-read the postings. If you're shooting right-handed, your holding arm is your right. Duh, sorry
    Last edited by Arctos1964; 5/24/2008 2:57pm at .

Posted On:
    6/07/2008 1:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, LEO deftac

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd guess that your form and technique could use a tune up. I used to get a bruises ever so often until I took a couple of rifle classes and figured out what was going wrong. I'd recommend finding a decent training facility (gunsite, Firearms Academy of Seattle, etc) and sinking some time and money into training.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/07/2008 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Or it could be that a 30-30 kicks... It isn't a 300 winmag or something but they do put out some pressure.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast