Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ow! my shoulder!

So I took my recently purchaced 30-30 out shooting this weekend and have a nice rifle-butt sided bruise on my shoulder to prove it:

That was from about 30 rounds. I pulled the stock into my shoulder as tight as I could but it still hurt quite a bit. Is it normal to expect this kind of wear on the body from that many rounds or am I doing something wrong? Anyone have recomendations for gear (padding) to help reduce this problem? I'm a rifle noob and could use the help.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. Well I've got an old Mosin Nagant from 1942 in 7.62x54 Russian, and the stock is just hard wood with a steel plate. I always fire it in a tee shirt. But I never get bruised from it, and I've fired up to around 30 rounds at a session.

Padding could work. I've been showing my mom the rudiments of how to fire a shotgun, and even when we were using bird shot she was a bit uncomfortable with the recoil and the stress on the shoulder. Because of pain she didn't want to shoot more than around 3 shells each practice session. But we just stopped by Bass Pro Shop, picked up the cheapest shock absorber for the stock, and now she's totally comfortable firing many rounds.

But, the first question I guess you should answer is whether or not your form is good. Good form is important on many levels, including not hurting yourself when firing.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 1:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Hmm. Well I've got an old Mosin Nagant from 1942 in 7.62x54 Russian, and the stock is just hard wood with a steel plate. I always fire it in a tee shirt. But I never get bruised from it, and I've fired up to around 30 rounds at a session.
    Quoted for truth. I fired my friends Mosin for the first time yesterday and that gun is Awesome with a capital A. Although, he added some padding to the stock so I don't know about firing it with just the steel plate.

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:27am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    I pulled the stock into my shoulder as tight as I could but it still hurt quite a bit. Is it normal to expect this kind of wear on the body from that many rounds or am I doing something wrong? Anyone have recommendations for gear (padding) to help reduce this problem? I'm a rifle noob and could use the help.
    You should not get a bruise like that from a 30-30. You mentioned that you were pulling the stock into your shoulder "as tight as I could." First off if you are pulling that hard it will reduce your accuracy and second when the gun goes off it will hurt more that if you just hold it snug.

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first time I fired my Mosin I thought the damn thing exploded.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:40am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only fags shoot from the left shoulder, so that explains it. :-)))

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:58am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're shoulder is gonna get hurt your first time shooting a rifle, no matter what. That **** ain't even bad at all. The first time I went shooting I was 11 or 12, shot 80 rounds or so and my bruise was all green and blue. That one you have is just a cute little thing, I had to strain my eyes to even see it.

They do sell shooting jackets, obviously, that offer a little padding if you wanna check it out.
    It'll still hurt though.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:01am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    You're shoulder is gonna get hurt your first time shooting a rifle, no matter what.
    What ?

I've been shooting since I joined the military back in the early 80's when we used the 7.62mm FN SLR and I've NEVER had a sore shoulder to this day.

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 12:24pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodizapha
    What ?

I've been shooting since I joined the military back in the early 80's when we used the 7.62mm FN SLR and I've NEVER had a sore shoulder to this day.
    Really? I guess it must all come down to proper form then?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    make sure the stock is the right length for you. poor fit = unpleasant shooting.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast