Posted On:
    5/19/2008 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about training methods

Hi there
    I have MMA in my city but atm i must work and if i get enough money i can take it up for a while or more :)
    wots the training in mma? it's HARD? i mean, ofc, compared to Aikido hehe but...

I have a mate that trains muai thai and he has been doing it for a year. Nice training but he is ALWAYS with his body fucked up. The shin, the elbow, the knee...
    Well its about contact , so CONTACT yeah,but is that normal? one thing is getting a lesson when u fight a mate in ur training and other one is being always fucked and he had to interrupt some days his training because he was injured. He said while training, not while fighting :S And there is no use to lose some training days!!!

I'll try to go there and watch a training but I also wanted your opinion.
    Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 11:11pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you asking if training MMA is hard? It can be as hard as you want it to be. If you want to do like basic jiu jitsu and striking just to understand what your watching on TV, and have fun with it then casually do it. Or you can freak out and make it your life. I bet if you go to an MMA gym they are going to kick your ass regardless, so you might want to consider taking grappling and striking separately, or somewhere else that probably wont expect as much dedication from you

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi new friend!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh fine, it can still be answered here i think....

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:54am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, sure it hurts. If you want to be a good fighter, you have to fight. If you wanna fight hard, you have to train hard. Agreed?

There is nothing wrong with receiving injuries during training. I would venture to say that any training that is completely risk-free is bs, and not worth it's salt, because it is clearly not being tested competitively or against full resistance.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the nature of the game, of any game. I have a friend that got his knee popped from playing soccer. I have a co-worker with all his fingers seriously jammed from playing baskeball recreationally. I mean, seriously jammed.

Yesterday I read in Yahoo News about this poor kid who got completely paralized afte a line hit him in the chest (stopping his heart cold) while play teen baseball (hell, that's why I stopped playing ball when I was 10, mean ball hitting me on my ribs, couldn't use my arm for weeks.)

Once I saw this lady, very fit lady, missing a step in an aerobics class in college. She broke her ankle, just like that. I also had a friend who had surgery on her achiles tendon (it got inflamed from ballroom dancing.)

Long story short. **** happens. If you want to do something physical, not just MA, there is always the risk of physical injury. It is natural and it is to be expected. There is always a chance of hurting yourself when hitting a piñata, so just imagine the risks in combat sports.

Combat sports, where you are learning to beat the **** out of people. There is nothing wrong if the idea sounds unapealing to you; it's not everyone's cup of tea. But it is a necessity, it is normal and it is to be expected.

If a person doing ballroom dancing gets injured more often and more seriously than someone claiming to do MA, there is something fucking wrong with that picture.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now, I see ^^
    so finally I'll visit the gym and then just work t'ill I can get the cash to afford everything :S
    there is no fear about the injuries, but I was just....shocked about that intensity...
    in Aikido ppl don't get injured xD omg jajaja and well in a hip throw i only fucked a bit my hip in the ukemi xd aah so light
    thanks, ppl :)

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only people who aren't getting injured (in any physical activity) are the people who aren't training worth a ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i mean serious injuries. and i agree

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xlins
    in Aikido ppl don't get injured xD omg ...
    I've seen worse injuries in Aikido training than in Olympic TKD, BJJ and Kickboxing all together.

Man up and sign at this MMA gym asap. *****.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast