Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav Maga Worldwide or International Krav-Maga Federation?

There are two Krav Maga schools nearby; one affiliated with the International Krav-Maga Federation and the other one is affiliated with Krav Maga Worldwide. Which one is the real deal? What are the differences?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamit, off to newbietown.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Goddamit, off to newbietown.
    ?????

Style
    default std
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends on who you ask. Either politics and a desire to make money or "who has the REAL Krav Maga" and a desire to make money. Go try them out and compare.
    shorthand - KMWW = predominantly US with licensees outside. IKMF = non-US with some US affiliates.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are they both legit? Do they both link back to the original source of krav maga with the only difference being US vs Europe? Or is of one of these a fork of the official krav maga branch?
    Last edited by kasumi_ninja; 5/20/2008 6:47am at .

Style
    Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KMWW is legit. The problem is finding a school with a good instructor. I personally wouldn train under anyone who isnt at least a Phase C instructor. I know that the instructors go through hell to get certified but once they get their cert..they may or may not slack off when it comes to teaching. I'm really lucky in that I have a krav black belt as an instructor - who also happens to be my muay thai instructor.
    but yeah - just check out the school and make your own evalution. just because the school is "legit" doesnt mean the training is any good. i've trained at other schools that have certified krav instructors that REALLY REALLY SUCKED. I even wondered how the hell these guys passed their phase training. Where are you located, anyway? Maybe i can find out for you if the Krav WW school close to you is worthwhile.

Style
    Krav Maga, BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Krav schools will let you try a class. Try an intro class at each and see how you feel. Both Associations have a direct lineage to Imi Lichtenfeld, the founder of Krav Maga, KMWW is through Darren Levine, and IDKF is I believe Eyal Yanilov. BOth men were students of Imi's.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure they have sparring without that the classes you take would be useless.

Style
    Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also bare in mind that if there is sparring - sparring doesn't start for students until they at least reach Level 2. The sparring gets more intense (depending on your instructor) as you go up in levels. I'm in level 3 and I've had to sparr hard for 5 minutes straight (after 30 min mitt work beatdown and 15 minutes of light sparring - hitting at 50-60 % for about 15 min) - fresh person every minute and last 2 minutes - two fresh people (at the same time) every 30 seconds. I got dropped to a knee right before the bell rang. it was glorious! i had a black eye the next day and a mild concussion.
    our "hard sparring" is 80% to the head and 100% to the body. Groin kicks are allowed.
    Last edited by dinnerpig; 5/21/2008 12:49pm at .

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train with KMWW in Houston. It's a good school and my instructors are very good and well trained themselves. The heads of KMWW and IKMF are the only 2 people given founders certificates by the Krav Founder Imi Lichtenfeld. All other schools not licensed to either organization are independents.