Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 8:26am

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am running out of time at net cafe if you want to continue this discussion then i reccomend you pm me.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 8:28am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We'll continue it later then. I have to get to work.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 8:55am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alnwicktkd
    I see your point but I will still practice juche tul when I come to it I dont really see it going down well with my teacher refusing to do a pattern for morel reasons.

He is most likely to look at me like an idiot and say shut up and get in there.
    Have you thought about talking to him about it? He may agree with abandoning Juche altogether.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 11:24am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... or the more likely scenario, in which he'll say, "How dare you speak ill of a pattern created by our omnipotent deity and beloved master, General Choi!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 11:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started in about 1978, the sign for the school was a big white one with stereotypical asian lettering reading 'Korean Karate'. It turned out to be Moo Duk Kwan, which later came into the WTF fold of Tae Kwon Do. He called it 'Korean Karate' because, as hard as it is to believe it these days, words like Moo Duk Kwan and Tae Kwan Do were largely unknown and I can still remember that most people could not pronounce them.

I joined because of that sign, it was the only such school around. It could have easily been any form of martial art for all I knew. Also impressive, was the demonstration put on by the master to promote the opening of the school. Most memorable was this smaller Korean man kicking a cigarette out of a very tall man's mouth.

It was these kind of impressive feats that really sold TKD, as it became more commonly referred to. TKD was very well marketed, and key to that was kicking - nothing is more visually impressive. I think it was this marketing and the subsequent reputation it gave TKD as a primarily kicking style that actually shifted its emphasis from something more rounded to what it is today.

The early years of my Moo Duk Kwan training involved a tremendous amount of hand techniques - not so much variety as repetition. These days, hand techniques are rarely practiced. Yes, the Korean style has always placed more emphasis on kicking, but early on it was much more Karate-like. There is a very good article a few months ago in Black Belt where a master talks about how Japanese occupation made it that way, and that TKD is much more an offshoot of Karate than Korean's would like to admit - I cannot find this published online. I think the emphasis on kicking originally came from Taekkyon's influence on the Karate practiced by Korean's after the Japanese occupation.

Here in Korea, TKD is viewed mostly as something for children, and it is viewed totally as a sport. They are under no delusions about its usefulness and there are two tv channels here that seem to show nothing but mma fighting, and I have never seen anything about TKD on tv. I have been to several schools here, and I have yet to see a single punch practiced - that's right, no horse stance, no boxing and no concern whatsoever about keeping your hands up - EVER. Classes consist of kicking a target and sparring with WTF rules. This isn't bad, if that is what you want... But I think TKD has degenerated into a shadow of its Korean progenators, let alone Karate.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 10:30am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gwongyeokdo & Gongsudo are about it as far as 'old school tkd" to be found in Korea.

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 6:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    ...Gongsudo...
    Gong-Sau-what?

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 7:09am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gongsudo...same Hanja as Kara Te Do.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 7:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And this is where I appreciate my Chung Do Kwan lineage, and reflect on how Duk Sung Son (my teacher's teacher) and his master Kuk Won Lee were tortured by North Koreans because they refused to tell their students (being the largest school in korea) to support the new korean government. Duk Sung Son also took back Choi's 4th degree black belt when he realized how politically motivated everything he did was. Supposedly Choi took the name "Taekwondo" from students of the Chung Do Kwan and claimed he thought it up.

He also had most of his ranks given to him without real tests. He's like the most successful and original McDojo.

Point being I dont do Juche (I am a 2nd Dan) because "Self-Reliance" and affirming my communists beliefs whilst wallowing in poverty and hunger dont line up with my person very well. This **** is straight out of Animal Farm!

General Choi was a douchehat. Thank God my TKD still resembles it's Shotokan roots much more strongly than most. This may be due to my direct instructional lineage.

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Gongsudo...same Hanja as Kara Te Do.
    Hand-job-what?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast