Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 9:50am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General Choi may not have even coined the word Taegwondo.

None of the Gwan founders ever studied Taegyeon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 10:10am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True there, GM Sun claims he slipped it on a piece of paper to Choi.

Btw, if anyone hasn't noticed, TKD 'history' is insane, finding the actual truth is nearly impossible with all of the different agendas and personalities involved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 10:44am

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108

I always thought this was the one thing taekwon-do practitioners regardless of affiliation could agree on.

I even have friends with a background in WTF who know/think choi came up with the name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 10:45am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    So General Choi invented the WORD taekwondo, and he forced everyone to learn the amalgamated system, the leaders of the individual kwans had more to do with it and many rebelled and continue to do there own thing.
    He didn't force any of them, TKD was made by all of the kwan leaders, meaning they had to agree to the name.

They agreed because:
    1: The president ordered them to make a korean martial art. And I think that taekkyon was popular before WWII. So in order to fool people into thinking that they're not making a new korean system to replace the old ones, they chose a name that sounded like taekkyon, making people think TKD is an evolved form of taekkyon because of the name likenessess.
    2: They thought Taekwondo, the foot fist way, was a good description of the art

And both branches think TKD will unit the Koreas!
    I think it's sad that people think like that, and I know people who do... Sure, the unification of ITF and WTF might make North & South less hostile to eachother, but still....
    I'm not sure, but wasn't ITF HQ originally in North, and WTF in south?

Next time I will place your caveat in my post, to make sure the next person does not fall prey to propaganda.

Thank you.
    No problem, but don't hope for too much. ITF nutriders cling onto the belief that Choi is some kinda God so hard that ITF should become a religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by DSL

Btw, if anyone hasn't noticed, TKD 'history' is insane, finding the actual truth is nearly impossible with all of the different agendas and personalities involved.
    Tell me about it.... I was stupid enough to have a school project about TKD with emphasis on Choi's claim of creating TKD( it was interesting, but too much work....), and it was DARN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to find good sources. And some websites even argued which town Choi was born in............

Choi claims to have been taught taekkyon by his calligraphy teacher, when he was 14.... Too bad for Choi that his teacher, who was a "master of taekkyon", was unheard of in taekkyon circles. Yes, the masters had to go into hiding, but you can't be a master without being accepted as one by another.

Quote Originally Posted by Errant108

Why do you always say "g" instead of "k"? Is the english translated pronounciation incorrect or something?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 11:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the Seoul Standard system of Romaja.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...And, he's pretentious.

Anyway, at best Choi can be called the founder of "Taekwon-do" which is the particular way of writing (in Roman characters) the art practiced in the ITF and it's offshoots. But he had nothing to do with the other forms of Taekwondo practiced around the world. The art practiced in the ITF and it's offshoots and the art practiced in the WTF and it's offshoots are essentially different arts with the same ancestry, which is mostly shotokan karate.

Although Choi was, apparently, instrumental in helping to spread TKD around the world. So, at least some of the TKD that is now part of the WTF was initially started by Choi. All of which is to say that there is also a lot of crossover between the histories of the two styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 4:21pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Taekwondo vs Taegwondo, the K (gi-ok) character is pronounced more as a K when in the first character (initial character that is), if it's secondary then it's a harder G sound... kind of like K with a guh. Hard to explain, but the enunciation of some of the Hangul characters varies based on position in Korean words (Si-ot becomes 'shee' sound next to the i etc).

The 'Taeg' is closer to how it sounds, but the Taek is how it's accepted in English speaking countries.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 7:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japanese does the same thing with its consonants: softening them if they're in mid-term, even if the same consonant would be hard at the beginning of a word.

The fact that the same is done in Hangul explains the matter of transliteration of "Taeguk" versus "Taekook". Saw those forms in a book the other day. Damn, but I wish the ones I had to learn, way back when, had been that easy...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 7:48pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Difficult, but not impossible. It is, like most study in the historical field, a matter of sorting the credible, correctly executed research from the rest of the muck. Admittedly, in the case of taekwondo, there's a lot of muck. The South Korean government played a role in spreading misinformation, which is a powerful force to contend with.

Plenty of older Korean guys who trained in the original kwans are still alive and teaching, though. Some may be reluctant to discuss Japanese influence, or talk about General Choi if they're from the WTF, but in my experience, most are quite happy to reminisce for a while.

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we are going a little off topic here. Are we still talking about "korean Karate" or General Choi and Korean dialects?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast