Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 5:35am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

girls classes?

being the n00b that i am and only having physically visited 2 BJJ schools in my life, out of a total of i think 3 in my city, i have yet to encounter any females in class, with the exception of one woman at my gym who has MMA experience from when she still lived in US, and is built like a tank, so had no problem hanging with/owning the guys at the gym from time to time.

do girls train seperately? girls-only classes? i ask because a friend of mine inquired about what BJJ was when i mentioned its like teh awesome anti-rape, so i explained some of it to her, and she was so enthusiastic she actually made me run her through the basics in her living room floor.

she wants to train, and obviously wants to at my gym. of course, i will ask my instructor about this on monday when i see him, but i don't exactly know how this work. she's all small and petite, so the size and strength difference between her and just about every guy in my class is huge. nevertheless, i invited her to the gym to check it out and sit in at one of the sessions so she can see it in action.

when is the barrier between being easy enough to provide a nice learning environment and being so easy that it develops bad habits crossed? please enlighten me, good sirs.

anyways, it would be awesome for her to train with me, and i want to make it happen, just a lil curious as to how it's done normally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 6:09am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Around here, the women train with the men. (Though I have heard of some people at some schools trying to rig up women only classes ... generally it is a male dominated sport, so you don't usually have enough of them for that to be practical.) Which means, in my experience, when small women come to BJJ (or Judo for that matter), one of two things happens:

1) They become frustrated with the size/skill disparity, and eventually quit.
    2) They stick it out, become very very technical and very very good.

Unfortunately, 1 happens a lot more than 2 ... if you have any female friends who are also of a similar size and shape, it would probably be easier if you could get them all to come in and train together, so they could train with someone their own size.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    come to think of it, i remember one girl did train with us one day. never saw her again. shame, she seemed quite into it...

she is aware of the whole size thing, so i think (hope) she won't get overly frustrated.

in your experience, how do the other guys in class react? i'm guessing not all feel comfortable rolling with a girl. i know i've never been able to strike a girl (i always begged my instructors to PLEASE not make me spar with a girl at belt tests, i'm not exactly the most controlled striker), and while you can go full speed when grappling without the fear of injuring, it has this "up-close and personal" feel that striking doesn't.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's a rule of thumb - if you have time to feel uncomfortable, you aren't training hard enough.

or, as my (female) training partner is fond of telling any new guys who are hesitant, "we're not on a date. get close."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive

Unfortunately, 1 happens a lot more than 2 ... if you have any female friends who are also of a similar size and shape, it would probably be easier if you could get them all to come in and train together, so they could train with someone their own size.
    Happened here last week.

Consider this option,

Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 12:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i'd like to think the guys i train with are smart/educated/courteous/serious enough about BJJ. however, society in the US is a few steps ahead of latinamerica when it comes to women being viewed equally. over here in DR, it's still a bit of a "macho" environment. i am however 100% sure my instructor would annihilate any and everyone who even made the slightest out of line comment/action, but still, it's something that's in the back of my head.

don't think i could find many other girls interested. i know a couple of chicks from the kickboxing class, even go to uni with one of them. hell, the secretary (who happens to be the head instructor's sister) kickboxes, and the thought of rolling with the boys is not something any of them are even considering.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:39am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1

how weird would it be, to date a girl you took jits with?

I don't know, would you guys be comfortable if your chick was rolling with all these other dudes?
    why would that be weird?

the only time it would be weird dating someone you train jits with would be if he/she would roll with someone who wants to get in their pants. Then it would just be a mandatory gong sao at that point. i'm the jealous type.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    both of my female training partners are married. neither of their husbands object.

main thing is to have separate training from one's so. prevents a lot of distractions.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ronaldk

do girls train seperately? girls-only classes?
    Depends on the school. For most places there is a larger amount of men attending class and sometimes some ladies. We're trying to get a women's juijitsu class going at our school, but it's hard to get people involved in it. I think alot of girls (at least the ones that I've talked to) are turned off by the fact that they are going to have someone sweaty lying on top of them.

3moose1

how weird would it be, to date a girl you took jits with?
    Actually, thats how me and my fiance met. She was networking on Myspace for training partners and eventually we started to date.

I don't know, would you guys be comfortable if your chick was rolling with all these other dudes?
    Doesn't bother me as long as the person is in it for the training and not a grope fest. My girl complains the problem is that most people go too light on her, to the point of being offensive.
    Last edited by CoffeeFan; 5/20/2008 11:30am at . Reason: Because my spelling sucks before my 1st cup of coffee

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Cassius; 5/21/2008 12:32pm at . Reason: I see I should have paid closer attention to this thread . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast