Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 12:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not about respect. It's about contribution in a topic forum. If you want to start a thread discussing your kempo options in this forum, go for it. That's what the Kempo forum is for. Making a one sentence post in a thread discussing the degredation of kempo about how you'd rather study Shotokan or Goju, TWO STYLES THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC, contributes nothing to this thread.

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 12:18pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nvm, i'm an asshole.

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 12:20pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    It's not about respect. It's about contribution in a topic forum. If you want to start a thread discussing your kempo options in this forum, go for it. That's what the Kempo forum is for. Making a one sentence post in a thread discussing the degredation of kempo about how you'd rather study Shotokan or Goju, TWO STYLES THAT HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC, contributes nothing to this thread.

point well taken , apologies

What do you think of Kempo/Kenpo as compared to lets say shotokan or TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 12:24pm

Style: ancient arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    nvm, i'm an asshole.
    Why do you say so?
    By the way, respect is always important.:icon_salu

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 12:33pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I noticed about Kenpo /Kempo very flowing as compared to the linear styles such as Shotokan my original style .

Even though I earned my 2nd in WTF TKD , I was 13 years younger.

I have alot of White Tiger Kempo schools near me I think they are Hawaian in origin Kajukenbo and a Double dragon Kenpo school.

Im trying to decide to see what will suit me better , Im not looking for street brawling , Im 50 , Im looking for a balanced system , Art , Sparring , self Defense etc.

looking for tips.

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 12:36pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kajukembo, if they spar & include alive drills, will be your best out of those choices.

Or BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 7:51pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar
    Be honest I think I rather do Shotokan or Goju :car25:
    I'm going to have to agree with you!!:car29: :car6: :car7: :car15: I just liked the cars!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2008 10:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kyokushin n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a student of a guy who left Villari's cause he was sick of all their bullshit, I can understand the frustration with Kempo. I have LOTS of it. Sick and tired of point sparring and crap line punching drills. Thank god I work out with people who like to mix it up and know other martial artists who I can throw down with on occasion. I'll be honest, I doubt I could handle myself against a decently trained MMA person, wrestler, or football player, and I've been promoted to second degree in kempo. To be honest, my second degree test was brain numbingly easy compared to the first test. We finally got our school in an association with Feliciano "Kimo" Ferreira, who I believe is a 8th or 9th dan under Walter Godin and has an organization called Kempo-Jutsu-Kai, I believe. After being at his seminars, I'm inclined to believe that maybe the things he gets our school to do will finally take it out of the Villari crappiness, but I can only hope.

Anyways, as far as Kempo, Kaju, Karazenpo, or any other related art therein goes, there are key names to look for that are good. Grandmaster Gascon and under him Grandmaster Pesare are from reputation two of the most no-nonsense tough training guys out there for Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. There are the key kaju names, which I'm not as familiar with. With Ke?po, it's not always tough to figure out a good school. If you're learning from somebody like Keith Hackney, you're probably getting good training. If you're learning from Master McFatty who got his belt from Materra, DeMasco, or Villari, you're gonna have to pick and choose. I've run into legitimately tough guys who have been promoted through those lines. More often then not, I run into ppl who shouldn't have their ranks.

Personally I'm looking to expand into Kyokushin karate too, I thought about Muay Thai but something about Kyokushin really grabbed my attention.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 11:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar

I have alot of White Tiger Kempo schools near me I think they are Hawaian in origin Kajukenbo and a Double dragon Kenpo school.
    No they are not, not even close lol. There is no legitimate kaju on Long Island, althoughlots of schools (White Tiger) claim to be Kajukenbo now. Maybe they have a high ranking kaju guy as their new master, but the system is NOT kajukenbo.

Almost all Kempo on LI is Shaolin Kempo coming from Villari or Nick Cerio somehow, and the ranks given out to some of the masters are questioned by some.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    7/09/2008 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of whoring out kempo, it's not really whoring out the art if you are putting out a quality product no matte how much you are charging.

Charge $7,000 for a DVD set, I don't care, if you can get someone to buy them then I am jealous! As long as the matrial is quality.

Selling a BlackBelt is a different story, that is despicable and probably all too common in Kempo.

An example is how recently (past few years) multiple schools are all now part of the Kaajukenbo family tree, after receiving all their ranks and training under their original teachers, they took a few seminars/classes/whatever with some kaju guys and are all now ranked in the kajukenbo tree. They are ll members of the KSDI. They all point to kajukenbo masters (Emperado, "kimo", etc) as the ones who gave them rank when in actuality they have never studied the system. They were just tested and paid their belt fees. They were really ranked in Shaolin Kempo first, but it became popular to pretend they doo kaju lol.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast