Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 8:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist
    I've been told that I don't do Kempo or Kajukenbo. I'd say what I do encompasses the principles of the arts, and is indeed effective. But what do I know?
    Okay, Ke?po, you got me.

You've written that as a response to a posting I did, in a subforum that shouldn't even have allowed me to post, as I have no Kempo background (apart from some reading ranging from somebody called Doshin So to things called 'Chuan Fa' and 'Kwon Bop').

So, now that we've established that yours-truly is a know-nothing who shouldn't even be here, is there something, uh, offensive in my post--the one you quoted--that violates some basic principle of Kempo? No, I'm not asking out of any kind of sarcasm. I just want to know if there are some Kempo principles which forbid actual combat in the form of all-out sparring or something close to it.

Ol' Vieux is definitely not the brightest spark off the anvil, so thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 5/18/2008 8:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 8:39pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Chris. Welcome to my life 3 years ago. ;)

Curious, who's the guy with the pre-signed certificates? I got a few names popping around my head, and I wonder if we're thinking of the same person.
    The guy who has the certificates won't use them, he is a good guy and gets a laugh out of the fact that he has them. For enough money we could probably get those certificates.
    It will be good to train with you Kempofist - I'll be at the throwdown this weekend

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    Okay, Ke?po, you got me.

You've written that as a response to a posting I did, in a subforum that shouldn't even have allowed me to post, as I have no Kempo background (apart from some reading ranging from somebody called Doshin So to things called 'Chuan Fa' and 'Kwon Bop').

So, now that we've established that yours-truly is a know-nothing who shouldn't even be here, is there something, uh, offensive in my post--the one you quoted--that violates some basic principle of Kempo? No, I'm not asking out of any kind of sarcasm. I just want to know if there are some Kempo principles which forbid actual combat in the form of all-out sparring or something close to it.

Ol' Vieux is definitely not the brightest spark off the anvil, so thanks in advance.
    My posts sarcasm wasn't directed at you.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 12:48am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still think there is hope in arts like American Kenpo in terms of evolution. Guys like Jeff Speakman and Frank Trejo are doing a lot to update the Parker system and spread the word of adding grappling into kenpo training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 1:01am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Kempo would be a lot more effective as soon as they let go of their bullshit past. Kempo is the bastardized orphan of Chinese and Japanese martial arts. Most modern effective forms of kempo are about the now not the past. There's never been any conclusive evidence to the history that many of these 'masters' propagate.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 7:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My posts sarcasm wasn't directed at you.
    I wasn't concerned about that--more about anything I had written that might have offended. I have no problem offending people intentionally...that just means I'm an imbecile--a status I've worked for years to solidify (one indication being posting in subforums about MAs I know nothing about).

Offending unintentionally, however, means something far worse: it indicates spasticity. I'm too old and tired for that...

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    I wasn't concerned about that--more about anything I had written that might have offended. I have no problem offending people intentionally...that just means I'm an imbecile--a status I've worked for years to solidify (one indication being posting in subforums about MAs I know nothing about).

Offending unintentionally, however, means something far worse: it indicates spasticity. I'm too old and tired for that...
    Well for what it's worth, I actually agreed with your post that I originally quoted. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of Kempo people would disagree when it comes to calling anything "real" Kempo that doesn't look like what they do.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:03am

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder as opposed to discussing the relevance and effectiveness of Kempo - as in the use of the term “real”. Many Bullshido threads have continued this critique. The OP was more concerned with the “whoring” of Kempo - which may in fact have a direct correlation to it being real - as in being an effective martial art.

I guess one problem is one man’s whoring is considered another one’s “effective marketing” and building market share, for example:

- Is charging $70 for a DVD video too much?
    - Is charging more than $200 for a black belt rank exam too much?
    - What should you pay to attend a weekend seminar with a Master?
    - Are all Kempo franchise chains by definition “whoring”?

Granted one example that was provided - Freddie V.’s home study course is most cheesy – but at least he has stopped selling his own brand of vitamins – or maybe he hasn’t.

Kempo Chris, in your OP I detect you are a sincere student of Kempo and would like to see it clean up its act, Yes?

Here is some of my wish list (from outside observations):

1) Ban all mullet style haircuts for instructors.
    2) Patches – we don’t need no stinking patches - no more than two (small) patches allowed on any Kempo outfit
    3) Let’s try using only three levels of titles: how about trying Student, Sensei (Sifu) and Master, it works for other styles.
    4) If you are under age forty you are not a Kempo Master – if you do call yourself one - you will pay an ego fine of $1,000. annually.
    5) If you are over age forty and call yourself a Kempo Master - then you must pay at least a $1,000. a year for the services for a personal trainer along with a professional nutritionist so you do not devolve into a fat blob.
    6) All Kempo videos will have a disclaimer that the video is a training adjunct to supplement live training – and it does not represent the style’s core transmission method.
    7) The title of “Soke” is henceforth banned (also see above). If you ain’t a Jappo – you ain’t no Soke. Okey Dokey!?
    :lame:
    Last edited by Sisyphus; 5/19/2008 10:06am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:36am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus
    The OP was more concerned with the “whoring” of Kempo - which may in fact have a direct correlation to it being real - as in being an effective martial art.
    Maybe you mean continued "whoring." The" whoring" isn't anything new just a different menu (DVD Internet).

Yes, when I did it decades ago I see many similarities then as now.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 11:13am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kenpo has been whored just like every other art. karate was whored, then TKD was whored, next BJJ and MMA will be whored. Its a cycle.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast