Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 7:31pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

low back pain

every now and then my lower back will tighten up ... usually after doing things like bent over rows or standing curls ... almost always due to a lapse in form. It gets so tight it looks like cables under my skin along both sides of my lower backbone. Anyway I normally take Magnatil (effervescent Magnesium) and Clofenac Relax ( a muscle relaxer and anti inflamatory) and dont work the lower back for a week and its fine after that.

Would I be better of icing it, heating it, or alternating both? anything else i can do to speed up recovery? Obviously I should pay better attention to form ... but what else?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How have you been training your lower back previously? What is your routine?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    How have you been training your lower back previously? What is your routine?
    Just deadlifts and hyperextensions. I have to admit, though that I skip the hyperextensions more than half the time. My thinking has been that between deadlifts and the little bit it gets worked during other exercises like seated rows is enough.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 7:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need a lot more posterior chain work (pretty much your lower back and hamstrings), especially for martial arts training, as it's where a lot of power is stored. My original question wasn't just about your lower back though, I meant, what routine are you following for your training? It should have a good degree of lower back work in it.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    You need a lot more posterior chain work (pretty much your lower back and hamstrings), especially for martial arts training, as it's where a lot of power is stored. My original question wasn't just about your lower back though, I meant, what routine are you following for your training? It should have a good degree of lower back work in it.
    This could be typical for me ... I do try to change exercise types from time to time (except the basic complex lifts which are sacred ).

What would you recommend adding for low back?

Weights :
    Tuesday - Flat Bench Press, Incline BenchPress, Decline Bench Press, Squats, Calf Raises
    Friday - Shoulder Press, Front Delt dumbell raise, rear delt dumbell raise, bench dips, cable tricep extension, overhead dumbell tricep extension, preacher curls, seated dumbell curls, cable curls
    Sunday - Cable Pulldown, Bent Over barbell Row, Seated Row, bent over dumbell row, Deadlift

also:
    running intervals - 2 to 3 days a week
    running (aerobic) - 2 to 3 days a week
    boxing 5 days per week - (rope, bag, spar, various bodyweight exercises - pushups crunches, ab wheel, light hi rep weights, etc)
    Last edited by muddy; 5/16/2008 8:21pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 8:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why all the different varieties of bench press?

And without knowing your rep and sets, I can still safely say that is way too much volume and extremely redundant. I take it this isn't a routine, but something you created?

Check out Starting Strength. It's low volume and strategic exercise choice will benefit you a lot more.
    "Emevas,

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let me guess, you are doing 3x10 or something of each?

my routine is basically a 6,4,2 power routine consisting of bench, squat, clean and jerk/deadlift, dips and pull ups. once every 4 days. doing this (and some core work) i have made some big strength gains. Also, if you are losing form, lower the weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the weight training: The older I get (mid 40's now) I find I respond better to higher volume with lengthy recovery time. It works for me for now.

anyway ... back to the lower back ... ice? heat? wonder drug?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 9:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically what I was trying to get around is that the lower back pain will get better with a better routine. For your current pain, get blood flowing to the area with some light hyperextensions.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 9:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    let me guess, you are doing 3x10 or something of each?

my routine is basically a 6,4,2 power routine consisting of bench, squat, clean and jerk/deadlift, dips and pull ups. once every 4 days. doing this (and some core work) i have made some big strength gains. Also, if you are losing form, lower the weight.
    4x(8-10) ... the loss of form is just a screw up from time to time ... my body is a LOT less forgiving than it used to be ...
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast