Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 9:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sayno2ringworm
    I've also found head butt to be effective against the solar plexus or heart region, and to the groin.
    I've found you to be a completely idiot.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think this guy demonstrates a pretty wicked headbutt towards the end.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAHAHAHAHA. Who the heck is that????

Anyways, Marco Lala had an interesting video discussing headbutts (it wasn't the focus of the video, just a section of it). He didn't cover how to spar with them (for obvious reasons), but he explained how to put your weight behind it, how to train it with a heavy bag and **** like that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 10:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    HAHAHAHAHA. Who the heck is that????
    The guy's name is Joey, and the clip is from one of the MTV reality shows, possibly Shot of Love? I had posted the whole video in Strikesian, but for some reason it was deleted. DW and co. MUST snag him for TUF as soon as he gets off that show...six months of sprawl training and a BJJ blue belt, and he will dominate the UFC.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sayno2ringworm
    I've also found head butt to be effective against the solar plexus or heart region, and to the groin.
    I call you a liar.

I challenge you to a head butting contest.

You get one each first and free to the solar plexus, heart and groin.

I get one - to your face.

BS challenge rules apply.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/18/2008 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear. This thread has gotten pulled rather off topic - Shame on you, ringworm! Please, if you want to discuss the potential relationship between Muay Thai and CMA, create your own thread to do so.
    Back to the topic of training headbutts with aliveness:
    My karate coach does have some plexiglass faceshield headgear, but we generally avoid it, because it's a pain to see or breathe in.
    I was considering trying to throw some "Zidane" headbutts to the sternum in sparring, as a way to get into the idea of training live headbutts without upsetting my psarring partners too much. While it doesn't give the same target as headbutting someone in the face, I'm theorizing that it'll work on the same sort of nescessary clinch control and body positioning. It'll also exaggerate the lowering of the body to throw the headbutt; given my height, I will probably need to do this to some degree to throw a headbutt to the face, as well.
    I was also considering trying to aim them at the cheekbone area. If both people are wearing headgear, this should mean a layer of padding on the weapon (my forehead) and the target (their cheek). This would be truer to the intended targets of a headbutt (nose/face), while still not subjecting anyone to a forehead to the nose.
    Sadly, I did not get much of a chance to work on this when sparring at karate on Saturday. I only fought two rounds, and one of those was boxing only. One of the major impediments in my quest to diversify my striking skills is a lack of regular sparring partners for striking.
    I'm very curious as to how hard is to pull a headbutt in sparring compared to other strikes. For example, I find that knees to the head (another potentially heavy hitting/cutting weapon) are much easier strikes to pull and throw lightly than punches or kicks, and whenever I've got someone in position for a knee to the head in sparring I'll just throw a light tap rather than trying to drive my knee in. Hopefully, given time and willing sparring partners, I can do more research on this.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 12:18am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mighty -

The head butt is close in work.

The main targets are the nose, side of the head/temple area and forehead.

Be prepared to bleed. This is why I'm no longer an advocate of a head butt except in dire circumstances. You are likley to exchange blood.

Had enough stictches to make a small quilt,

Joe

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 11:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    Mighty -

The head butt is close in work.

The main targets are the nose, side of the head/temple area and forehead.

Be prepared to bleed. This is why I'm no longer an advocate of a head butt except in dire circumstances. You are likley to exchange blood.

Had enough stictches to make a small quilt,

Joe
    Does the headbutt still have any cut-inflicting power if headgear is worn and the forehead is covered? Bare knuckle punches can open up some nasty cuts too, but they're minimized by the use of gloves in sparring. I'm hoping to apply the same concept to the headbutt.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've got headgear on you should be okay, you shouldn't hurt the other guy too too bad. There is still room for error, of course. If he turns his face into it by accident, there will be blood. Even going for the solar plexus you could get his head instead, and the cheek bone is not impervious to damage. I've seen a cheekbone entirely caved in. I mean, you should be safe, it's just a very forceful attack so anything can happen. Go try it in sparring, let us know how it goes.

Let your opponent know you will be throwing headbutts first, so that way they are prepared.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 9:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sleeping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FSN Sport Science - Episode 4 - Cheap Shots - Head to Head

not really as scientific as they try to make it, but amusing to watch anyways... so remember drop a keg on your friends head from the 3rd floor is a felony.. 2nd floor should only be a misdemeanor.

FSN Sport Science - Episode 4 - Cheap Shots - Head to Head
    YouTube - FSN Sport Science - Episode 4 - Cheap Shots - Head to Head
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast