Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually I knew something was amiss when the first video, full of physical action was placed at one. the videos that followed grew slower, in my opinion, and since I associate speed with aliveness, I began to question what the point of "aliveness" really was. After I left the house, I thought about my post and realized people would criticize it, but figured I would need a better word to describe what I was seeing than "aliveness".

I would say 'close contact' is the best I could come up with, with 'contact' being an abbreviation thereof. Basically, aliveness in this forum seems to represent the duration that you are connecting with the opponent, not how fast you are moving, or how hard you are getting hit, or how hard your heart is beating. I originally thought aliveness represented how lively the school was going to be.

edit: I should have read the second sticky first. The videos perfectly match the text descriptions.
    Last edited by shintashi; 8/09/2010 12:23pm at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it means this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0760833041053#

It is not a terribly complex concept.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shintashi View Post
    actually I knew something was amiss when the first video, full of physical action was placed at one. the videos that followed grew slower, in my opinion, and since I associate speed with aliveness, I began to question what the point of "aliveness" really was. After I left the house, I thought about my post and realized people would criticize it, but figured I would need a better word to describe what I was seeing than "aliveness".

I would say 'close contact' is the best I could come up with, with 'contact' being an abbreviation thereof. Basically, aliveness in this forum seems to represent the duration that you are connecting with the opponent, not how fast you are moving, or how hard you are getting hit, or how hard your heart is beating. I originally thought aliveness represented how lively the school was going to be.

edit: I should have read the second sticky first. The videos perfectly match the text descriptions.
    I will be kind and say you need to go educate yourself.

Mr Thornton awaits.

Until then, shut the **** up.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    No it means this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0760833041053#

It is not a terribly complex concept.
    ohhhh! I get it now. Its kind of like the better version of randori. I really dislike dojos that don't have this aspect, because it gets so fake, standing there going 'you're kidding me, I could totally just _____'. I once had a sensei call me on my "bluff" and rolled out of his pin.

I just don't understand how you don't kill people at 10, I mean its one thing to be dodging a fist, escaping a lame lock, or avoiding a stick to the head, but how do you train at 10 with things like knives, swords, or throws where the bones break? I watched my sensei get carried away in an inflatable cast by the EMT because his missed the angle of his landing, and they were actually going "slow".

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 12:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If by better version of randori, you mean the Judo version, then yeah...

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my dojo, we have a couple of different programs that use all types and levels of sparring based upon what the student/client wants. For instance, for kids and the twice a week budoka, we offer traditional karate classes that feature not much more than point sparring (level 3/4). But for those who want a more realistic experience, we have our JKDU MMA FTS (Jeet Kune Do Unlimited, MMA For the Street) training group. Sparring in this group is very alive and progresses from light contact to medium hard (level 7/8).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12