Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:47pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey1
    "Never piss off somebody when they have a dominant position on you." - Bas Rutten

Makes sense to me.
    Whip, pull, snap, crack, let go,yell "AAAAAAW MY CALF!!!" and led him pick up the pieces of his arm of the mats.
    Last edited by Siniq; 7/22/2008 4:03pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NEW CHOI KWANG DO Syllabus

I have just heard from a very reputable source that Choi Kwang Do has plans to release their 5th Dan material to the world!!!

This is great news as now we can all train in the worlds greatest martial art!

<embed src="YouTube - David Carradine Tai Chi Kung Fu workout type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Right now the course is ONLY 49.99 - however you should act NOW as CKDMAI has a habit of increasing prices and an alarming rate.
    Last edited by Dempsey1; 7/23/2008 9:30am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 12:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have just heard from a very reputable source that Choi Kwang Do has plans to release their 5th Dan material to the world!!!

When I was in CKD, they bragged about how they had a 9th DAN and full curriculum up to that level.

Then I found that was all Bullshido. The best they had was TKD stuff till 2nd Degree, and a few patterns and "speed drills" to 4th dan.

The Bullshido admin and brown nosing you must have to go through to get 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th must be amazing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 2:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Choi Kwang-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusMagus
    I can attest to the 5th Dan self-promotion...him and his wife are here http://www.kinectmai.com/.

Leaving, though, I can understand. CKD was asking for $10,000 for EACH Dojo that wanted to use their name (WTF!!!?). Then, it wants $$$ for required 'seminars' that is mostly useless chatting.
    Thats crap. CKD has never asked $10,000 for each dojo that wanted to use their name or I would never be teaching as I couldnt afford it :D

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 2:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq
    Dear CKD instructors,
    If it's not a bloody scam and you do genuinely teach a striking system/art and consider your self modern, than why dont the blackbelts, atleast compete in kickboxing tournaments? Also what's the price list of those belts??? Do you have half price off for senior people and students? Do you teach poor people for less? What IS that feedback from t3h D3JUROZ STR33TZ, share an experience of yours please.
    I have been teaching my own CKD classes for 9 years now and have been doing the art for 17. Ive never been interested in competition fighting and I can go into the pros and cons of that for hours. You dont need to compete to be able to defend yourself. What ive learned in CKD ive had to apply a handfull of times and ive had students who have had to use it. Whats taught works for me and my students so far.

I dont do discounts for seniors or students but I charge a fair price for my classes. My current students have told me they would pay more but I havent brought up the price. I have however started teaching a free class for a local charity. I teach because I love the art and what its done for me in my life and im not making a living out of doing it at the moment.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 2:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwangjochoi
    When I was in CKD, they bragged about how they had a 9th DAN and full curriculum up to that level.

Then I found that was all Bullshido. The best they had was TKD stuff till 2nd Degree, and a few patterns and "speed drills" to 4th dan.

The Bullshido admin and brown nosing you must have to go through to get 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th must be amazing.

Another bit of BULL from the user KwangJoChoi who seems to like spreading mistruths about CKD.

Ive NEVER heard any instructor say there was a syllabus above 4th dan until recently where they have started on the 5th dan syllabus.

Ive not had to jump through any hoops for my 5th dan. I have a very small CKD school and dont tend to call HQ unless I really need to so not like im brown nosing. All I had to do was apply to the Grandmaster to test to 5th. He let me test but as im a year early testing im not allowed to rank until 2009. And before anyone has a go about me testing early I asked because I wanted to test in the UK with some of my peers as I knew it would motivate me to train even harder than if I went to Atlanta to test alone.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Ok. Is CKD as kicking intensive as other KMAs?
    There are about 9 kicks in the syllabus which are performed off the front and rear legs. 4 of which are spinning kicks which arent the most practical of kicks but good for working on balance and co ordination.

But there are just as many if not more different punches and strikes.

Well, no one will argue with you that street and ring/mat are different. But assuming that poster was referring to MMA or some sort of NHB ruleset, it's the best way to test your skills short of getting into an actual fight. It's pretty much the most relaxed ruleset you can fight under within the bounds of the law.

How would you simulate an attack like the one you describe? If you do it in class, you still know that you are in class and that it's your training partners who are going to do it to you.
    Assuming youve learned the basics of blocking dodgin and moving you partner up and put on some sparring kit. We use a drill where the partner throws a random punch or kick which you block and then counter attack with. If your doing it correctly you can get in 2-3 counter attacks in before attacker has much time to react aiming at openings in their guard. As you get that basic out of the way you then start the drill with your hands down and the person attacks and you counter. As you get more comfortable with the drill you can get the attacker to up the intensity of their attack which can get the adrenaline going a bit.

[quote]
    I don't think that analogy fits. In academics, your instructor most of the time has no clue how much info you have assimilated and how well you can apply it. And neither does the institution that is going to back you up in your career with it's name, pretty much putting it's prestige and reputation on the line for you.

If you point to standardized exams like the SAT, DAT, MCAT, whatever, those again are for schools that don't trust using college grading systems, which can vary greatly, to evaluate an applicant's worth.

A martial arts instructor doesn't just show you a technique and then walks out the door. He will (hopefully) watch you do it, give you pointers, make sure you are doing it right. He will (hopefully) spar with you, see how well you can apply those techniques.

Maybe testings would be appropriate if you've got something like 50-100 students in a class and you can't keep track of everyone. But hopefully you would have assistant instructors and seniors still helping you out and being able to serve as your eyes.

That's what sparring and competitions are for.
    [\quote]

To each his own. I give my students constant feedback throughout the class. We dont "spar" as such but we do use drills where you simulate one person attacking and the other counter attacking which allows me to give feedback to the students. Then testing time after they have practiced their asses off for a few months they test for their belt. You might not like the idea of testing for the belt but its something my students seem to like and its also the way my instructor ran his classes and how I learned so its something im happy to keep doing.

I dunno, you earn the belt with the skills you develop by putting countless hours of blood and sweat into the mat, not by going through the motions one Saturday morning for a couple of hours. Everyday you stand in front of someone and fight is the test...

Yup my students earn their belt in class working their asses off. They dont get put into test unless they are ready and have put in the effort during class. My students put a lot of effort into what they do. I have students who have no interest in competition fighting or sparring and thats one of the things that they liked about the art and what got them into the door. Since then they have developed some pretty good techniques and tactics for self defence situations and practiced them enough that they are by now hard wired in and hopefully wont have to think about what to do when attacked.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl2hMMU8N-4 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Right now the course is ONLY 49.99 - however you should act NOW as CKDMAI has a habit of increasing prices and an alarming rate.
    $49.99 for black belt curriculumn? Wow thats a bargain in comparison to what some people are charging:

http://www.choiprofessionals.com/pag...Page&product=8

The site by the way is run by one of the Choi Bashers. If KwangJoChoi is the same person who runs the KwangJoChoi web site then this is one of his buddies Rod Cook's site. Lovely aint it how these people slate CKD and say that its all a scam and about the money. Then do what CKD hasnt even done and charge for the syllabus? Yes you pay to test for your belt in CKD but at least you get all your syllabus available for free online :D

This is what annoys me most about some of the most intense CKD bashers. They slate the art and the organisation and yet do the same things or worse than CKDHQ. Dont you just love hypocrosy?

And im not putting everyone who leaves CKD into that catagory. I have no problems with people leaving CKD or coming back to it if they so wish. Ive had some good friends leave CKD amicably and ive always wished them well for the future. The ONLY ex CKD people ive ever had issues with have all been troublemakers and hypocrites.....

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 6:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty impressive...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA