Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 9:53am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can attest to the 5th Dan self-promotion...him and his wife are here http://www.kinectmai.com/.

Leaving, though, I can understand. CKD was asking for $10,000 for EACH Dojo that wanted to use their name (WTF!!!?). Then, it wants $$$ for required 'seminars' that is mostly useless chatting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 10:03am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They seem to have a lot of police experience behind them which would hopefully mean they train for realism yet their setup is very similar to CKD, I wonder how have changed it?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 10:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have added scenario based training with a Redman suit, ( very realistic and full contact ).

Also they have eliminated about half of the belts. CKD has 18 belts up to black belt. $$$

The forms are different than CKD and a groundfighting element has been added as well. With sparring

Kinect does not dictate to its member schools how to run their businesses nor forbid weapons training or anything else that makes sense.

Overall, it is more self-defense orientated. Possibly because of the founders law enforcement and military experience

Their organization and its member schools are constantly being harrassed by someone in CKD Internationals leadership. They defame the instructors, threaten lawsuits, vandalize and and try to poach students and instructors.

More and more CKD members are leaving almost daily because of these immature tacticts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 6:11pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, sound like CKD but without the bullshit and actually focused on the original point self defence.

If CKD incorporated even half that stuff I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. I originally came from a T K D background (ITF style) and my instructor made it clear the "art"parts and the actual self defence parts.

CKD is dangerous to my mind because it promotes the ideas of SUPERIORITY and SCIENTIFIC TESTING when really it is not really anymore scientific than some traditional martial arts and no way near as much as judo or jujitsu.

Again I am quite attracted to the idea of a martial art exclusively for self defence but it must be tested by someone with real self defence experience to make sure its nit half baked or unworkable. Hence why the British Combat Association is respected because their instructors eg Geoff Thompson haved tested all their techniques in real situations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 11:12am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it probably depends by school what level of sparring occurs. At my dojo, they basically do mma sparring, with take downs and ground fighting...but the focus on the ground is to get back up (you might say the instructors have a good white belt sense of bjj moves...and I don't even do much grappling myself but plan to later). But some others I know only do standing sparring like kick boxing, and others probably don't go into full contact at all. Of course, I know at one specific school the instructor has a brown belt in bjj and a few others might.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:04pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey1
    I once attended a seminar in which the only solution to ground fighting was to bite. Choi demonstrated the fore mentioned biting of the calf as a defence to an armbar
    If someone bit my calf while I was armbarring them, I would arch my back in a veritable paroxysm of pain.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:26pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    If someone bit my calf while I was armbarring them, I would arch my back in a veritable paroxysm of pain.
    I'd just turn his arm to a pretsle

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:32pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq
    I'd just turn his arm to a pretsle
    What do you think would happen if you had someone in an armbar, then suddenly and violently arched your back?

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 1:18pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    What do you think would happen if you had someone in an armbar, then suddenly and violently arched your back?
    You'l break it. how ever have you seen the one where the japanese guy didnt tap after he broke it and the guy started wraping it around his leg I'd go further... Seriously this asshole deserves it I mean look at this video it's the same case:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="YouTube - Rallarsving - Bas Rutten name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="YouTube - Rallarsving - Bas Rutten type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

skip to the end he tells a nice story!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Never piss off somebody when they have a dominant position on you." - Bas Rutten

Makes sense to me.
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast