Posted On:
    7/08/2011 11:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Choi Kwang Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey

First time poster here....

From the sounds of it, things have changed a lot.
    I studied CKD in the 90's under Dwight Werner and I can say there was no instant fast track Black Belt. We had to work and earn our belts.

My little brother never did make it to black belt as a result of not being ready. I left CKD for a few personal reasons and before the split happened with the instructors.

It was a great environment..... and a good Martial Art.

For a little Background, I had Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan background before joining CKD. Their program was very practical for self defense. And to answer someone earlier... it was not "Hands Off" It was non-competitive. There was plenty of partner and group sparing.

Perhaps their things have changed.... that is sad to see and evident by the number of lead instructors who have left CKD, A few names on the list I trained with back in the day.

Anyways, no there is no one martial art practice that is king. Comes down to the individuals desire and determination to become the best in his chosen art form.

Pil Seung!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 4:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ving tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As with most arts there is politics and egos and the latter seems to be true in ckd,i complained to ckd hq as i am in uk and had an answer back from linda choi,and she said she will look into it. I beleave she will take the clubs side as i have heard nothing back since.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 5:52am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyways, no there is no one martial art practice that is king. Comes down to the individuals desire and determination to become the best in his chosen art form.

Pil Seung!
    While CKD might have been a good martial art when it first started it has somewhat degenerated into a mediocre at best money spinner. I am sure there are some CKD clubs that do train with sparring and pressure testing but they are the exception rather than the rule.

As to your last comment regards to there being no king martial art, I would disagree as while the individual is makes an art work for themselves or not there are some arts that by there design are more effective. For example Judo is a lot better at teaching people to throw than aikido as it has resistance. CKD has several flaws

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 7:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Cross Train

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am so glad I have found thread! Choi Kwang Do is a total joke! When I was young I trained for about 4 years and got my first Dan black belt! I walked away in the end due to the ass kissing and general low standard of students and the fact I was not learning anything that I felt would really work. I started training in Thai Boxing and then reality hit me.....CKD is and has nothing! When I was at my CKD club in Woking I was considered one of the most if not the most competant pupil in the class however thins meant nothing when I started pressure testing CKD techniques against a real striking art like M Thai! You mention Ralf Allison! I trained with Ralf Allison at CKD Woking under Nigel Brophey. I have to say that Ralf Allison was one of the worst martial artists I have ever seen although a plesent enough guy. My father used to take me to training with my friend and Ralf Allison was the brunt of huge laughs whilst on our way home in the car. The fact that I saw Ralph Allison achieve the rank of black belt really made me question the system. I could say the same for 80% of the students I trained with in CKD but I use Ralph Allison as an example because you mention him. Also Ralph Allison and I have had communication via a comment I made his own martial art his has created called ''Chi Combat system''. Ralph is polite however very outspoken about a subjects of which he knows NOTHING ABOUT! Chi Combat System is a copy cat CKD blue print teaching rubbish! Just look it up on youtube. It is even more ammusing for me and a couple of my friends as we have trained with this guy and his standard is very very poor and in my opinion could not fight sleep! I agree with everything in these posts and I am glad something is being done about this joke of a martial art that is giving its student false confidence which is dangerous. I challenge any CKD student or instructor to attend a good boxing gym or Thai boxing gym and state to everyone there that CKD is the most affective martial art and that you would like to prove it! Word of warning though if you do........these guys will not be compliant, they will not say ''yes sir, no sir'' because of the black belt around your waist, and they will actually make contact with you when they throw a strike...! OMG imagin that.....there actually going to try and hit you! And one more thing, when you go dont bring anyone with you as you are not going to want anyone to whitness was happens to you cause its not going to be pretty...

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 8:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I mainly trained at Morden

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 11:19am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allrounder View Post
    Sorry I mainly trained at Morden
    Do you train Muay Thai in Woking?

Posted On:
    9/05/2011 12:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please ignore this post. I have edited as posted the same post as before
    Last edited by Allrounder; 9/05/2011 12:44pm at .

Posted On:
    9/05/2011 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I've not trained Muay Thai in Woking, I trained in Orpington mainly but am not longer living in the area. I like to mix my training up but did Muay Thai 5 times a week for 4 years.
    Last edited by Allrounder; 9/05/2011 12:45pm at .

Posted On:
    9/05/2011 12:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agian I have to agree with madmonkey! Aikido is very compliant where as Judo has resistance. It's a shame though that many great techniques Judo used to have is no longer taught

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow I can't believe this thread is still alive. Here's an update on CKD. From what I hear, Kwang Jo Choi and his minions are at it again for the last few months trying to destroy the reputations and livelihood of Michigan instructors who left the organisation. But these heroes are fighting back against the Choi/Pereira menace. A case was filed by the former Michigan school owners and is currently underway in federal court. The motion to dismiss the case by Kwang Jo Choi was denied and this is now officially a federal case.

In their latest response to the judge, Kwang Jo Choi actually admits to NOT having a federal trademark for 'Choi Kwang Do' although they have been propagating this lie for close to 25 years. Yes, Kwang Jo Choi has a service mark for their logo with the words 'Choi Kwang Do Martial Art International' but that doesn't mean that people can't teach or use 'Choi Kwang Do' in advertisements and at their schools as an art.

So, all you who are too scared to leave CKD because you still want to teach 'Choi Kwang Do' as an art or use 'Choi Kwang Do' in your own unique logos (not sure why you would want to but...), go for it. There's now a legal precedent & CKD International's admission that there is no federal trademark.

Leave now! This will benefit your students as well as your pocket book. Plus,as a bonus, you will never have to listen to insulting propaganda speeches from Pereira again. If CKD sends you trademark letters, simply ignore them. There is NO trademark. If CKD tries to destroy your reputation, you have a case! Yes, there is a better life and happier students after leaving the money pit & slavery called Kwang Jo Choi & Pereira! Trust me, you will be happier...
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313738394041 42 LastLast