Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 12:04pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kwang Jo Choi, founder of Choi Kwang Do

I know choi kwang do has been discussed a fair amount as has its founder, but having come across the website below I wonder if anyone has done a full investigation on some of the issues mentioned on it.

I am not a fan of the CKD Mcdojoism and the bullshido they are spreading. Lets see what we can do to fully expose them by collecting are thoughts and more importantly facts here.

The previous website I mentioned has disappeared so instead have a look at this one

http://www.ksdi.net/choikwangdoresignation.html
    Last edited by madmonkey; 1/05/2009 1:22pm at .

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 12:29pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you volunteering to lead this investigation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spose I am but would appreciate some starting advice as have not carried one out before. Obviously I will start with trawling the net and building up a list of contacts certainly Roger koo and any other disgruntled ex CKDer's

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Investigation of Choi Kwang Do

Sounds like a great idea... As a ex-CKD instructor I can certainly testify to all of the shady dealings that this cult like organization employs. Non existant or incomplete courses like the so called "Faculty program" where people with little martial art experience are promoted to the upper levels, then there is the "Advanced Chief Instructor program, The Chief Instructor program, the assistant instructor program, the program director program and lets not forget the Professional school owner program. All of these cost thousands of dollars and are huge rip-offs. Oh yeah I almost forgot about the "rebate program" I know of one guy in Georgia who was promoted from green belt to black belt in 2 weeks because he bought Choi's daughters school. Another guy from Michigan went from white belt to third degree black belt in less then three years because he paid his money and kissed the right butts. In Choi's book he claims that doing his art can cure almost every disease. Hmmm.... One of the main men who is a seventh degree cannot kick above his knee. Hmmm....There is no strategy for groundfighting except to bite your opponent. There are no patterns or forms past fourth degree. There are no weapons defenses taught to the students. They constanly ridicule and downgrade other styles like Tae Kwon Do and Karate and Jujitsu. Yet they have yet to back up any of their claims in the ring or mat. Most of the Instructors are over weight and out of shape. Most of the schools are part time and most of the money the international organization takes in is from exorbitant fees charged for testing. Of course no one ever fails as long as they pay.
    The higher you go in the organization the more they take advantage of you.....

In the USA you could contact the Attorney General with letters from all of the people who have gotten burned. I certainly would be willing to help with that. I know that in 2007 about 35 schools have left and joined an organization called Kinect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 1:12pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote= They constanly ridicule and downgrade other styles like Tae Kwon Do and Karate and Jujitsu. Yet they have yet to back up any of their claims in the ring or mat.[/quote]

How can they mock TKD their founders only qualification as far as I know is as a 9th degree blackbelt in ITF TKD under gen choi hong hi.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choi Kwang Do states that ALL traditional martial arts are impractical because of the lock out movements and stiff rigid stances. The founder is not a 9th dan in TKD. He is self promoted. It is my understanding that his highest actual rank is 4th dan in Kwon Bup.

They also claim that Kwang Choi is the "greatest living martial artist" or sometimes they say that he is "the greatest martial artist of all time."

Check out their guestbook sometime. www.choikwangdo.com. They are all convinced that CKD is the best martial art in the world. I think they must all be brainwashed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have contacted a variety of current CKD instructors as well as ex CKD instructors. I have also contacted Choi through his websites email. I have also sent emails to the Korean Embassy in London and the ITF to establish his history regarding Dan ranks and military service. Last but not least I have contacted some of the people he claims tested his art.

I will update the thread as the replies come in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2008 7:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am currently in contact with Ralph Allison(his website was the subject of the thread Choi Kwang Do the delusion continues) via email. He got back to me and is offering a composed and rational argument regarding Choi Kwang Do. He focuses mainly on the health aspects of the art and the intention to continue training with as little injury as possible.

As to the controversial issues surrounding ex CKD instructors he says with out mentioning any names that he heard a lot of the complaints were something to do with money and that he steers clear of internal politics. Having come from a Taekwondo background I can appreciate that hell even the UFC has its fair share.

I might broach this at another juncture but I am hoping Choi or Pereira who I have also contacted will respond as it direclty involves them. I have heard back from Pereira who asked why I was researching it. I simply stated that I was doing it out of general interest and for the benefit of the public who would see a more open discussion of the issues. I have heard nothing back as yet but I only sent the email last night.

I have just emailed Ralph Allison and have put forward the arguments and criticisms often levelled agianst Choi Kwang Do in he hope he can offer a more in depth answer than we have had before.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 6:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not entirely true about CKD being untested, although they haven't let too many people know what happened.

There was an incident in Canada quite a number of years back between the founder of CKD and a Karate Instructor.

If you want information on this, I would suggest contacting Master James Lim. He may not give you the story though, to save his own reputation.

Let me just say that it was not a fun experience for Kwang Jo Choi, but it certainly was for the Karate Instructor.
    Last edited by kwangjochoi; 7/11/2008 6:24pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 6:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: choi kwang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheperd
    Choi Kwang Do states that ALL traditional martial arts are impractical because of the lock out movements and stiff rigid stances. The founder is not a 9th dan in TKD. He is self promoted. It is my understanding that his highest actual rank is 4th dan in Kwon Bup.

They also claim that Kwang Choi is the "greatest living martial artist" or sometimes they say that he is "the greatest martial artist of all time."

Check out their guestbook sometime. www.choikwangdo.com. They are all convinced that CKD is the best martial art in the world. I think they must all be brainwashed.
    That is true. The highest rank he reached in TKD was 4th Dan.

9th Dan came about by moving to the US and claiming to be the founder of a new style in 1987, namely Choi Kwang-Do. He will not answer tyhe question when you ask him directly about it, although if you want some BS, ring him on 770 795 0010 in his Dojang in Kennesaw Georgia.
Page 1 of 42 1 234511 ... LastLast