Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 3:30pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    I liked the old school E-tools better.
    How old school? You mean the regular folding ones with the green, plastic case? Or the really old corps ones with the stick handle?

My folding one does keep an edge pretty good by just using a bastard file on it though...

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 4:27pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im willing to spend in the 1-260 range. i prefer a fixed blade aswell

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 8:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToUnderstand
    I want to buy a decent knife that wont break and is full tang, i heard Ek knives are good what are your opinions on the subject?
    What style of knife are you trained in?

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 8:52pm

Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None at the moment but im joining the marine corps so probably whatever MCMAP teaches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 9:59pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.rockynational.com/3244_13...to_Carbon.html

That's what I carry on my OTV. Good knife, I've only had to sharpen it once, and it makes a good tool as well as "oh ****" defense. I just won't ever use it to try and seperate wax for field expedient demo again, almost lost my thumb doing that.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 11:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None at the moment but im joining the marine corps so probably whatever MCMAP teaches.
    MCMAP won't train you in any specific knife shape.

Instead, for your tan belt you'll learn:

-Knife Stance (Boxing Stance but with the knife at your hip pointed towards your opponent)

-Bull Dogging (Alternating Palm Strikes and Knife Stabs)

-Generic Knife Stab (Put the pointy part into the soft part)

-Arm Slash (Short, tiny slashes designed to **** up your opponent's arms when he blocks)

That's it.

When you get to Grey, you start to learn some fun stuff like:

-Straight Throat Slash (Basically an angled Generic Knife Stab aimed at the throat)

-Side Throat Stab (Starts like a Generic Knife Stab, but turns in at the last minute to stab the side of the neck)

---

I think I had a point in there.

Oh, yeah. You won't need a special knife shape for the marines. Get the sturdiest, sharpest piece of steel you can get your hands on.

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 12:04am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    How old school? You mean the regular folding ones with the green, plastic case? Or the really old corps ones with the stick handle?

My folding one does keep an edge pretty good by just using a bastard file on it though...
    The one with the plastic case. I never used the "really" old ones (I'm not that old). The case sucked though, I didn't mind seeing it go.

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 12:16am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will be trained to use the bayonet, both stand alone and mounted to a rifle, and the E-tool. You will be issued both, so you are covered there. The new bayonet is pretty wicked in and of itself. It has a heavy, eight inch blade and holds an edge pretty well, so you will be covered as far as a fixed-blade field knife goes. You also don't have a choice, if you are issued a rifle you WILL carry the bayonet as well, so don't bother unless you want to carry two knives.

http://www.jtknives.com/ontario6504.htm
    Keep a light sheen of CLP on the blade. It is made of carbon steel and will rust.

The one caveat is that they stay in the armory with the rifles, so it won't be available for personal use. Also, some barracks have rules against having sheath knives in the rooms. Because apparently Marines can't be trusted to have weapons. :icon_roll

Better to invest in a good Leatherman or other multi-tool. It is nice to have a folding blade handy that you can stash in a pouch or pocket.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 12:23am

Style: Dirty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you said you were joining the marines, so I am assuming you are actually going to use it for whatever... get a KA-BAR.

Otherwise, if you are just going to walk around with a knife for the sake of having a knife get a butterfly. In fact, get a butterfly anyways since they are really fucking cool. Just like nunchucks, you will never use them, but they are just something really awesome to have. In fact, I am gonna get another butterfly (lost my first one) just so I can use it as a utility knife, you should do the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 9:31am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good call on the Leatherman mrm. I used the hell out of mine. If you want to get real high speed, I think they have a non-sparking version you can crimp blasting caps to det cord with if need be. Better than using your teeth to do it with (yeah, I've actually seen it done).
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast