Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bike or elipt instead of running. Flat feet + running = pounded joints

poser

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 2:23pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I tried lifting barefoot and it helped a lot, and I think I might get a pair of those awesome Vibram foot-glove things for when I actually get off my ass and go to the gym. I'll probably get some weird looks, but I prefer that to joint injuries.

Good call on the bike/ellipt too, they're both way more fun than running.

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 2:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    swimming too, especially if you find a pool with lots of girls there too! STAY FOCUSED!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2008 4:33pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I tried lifting barefoot and it helped a lot, and I think I might get a pair of those awesome Vibram foot-glove things for when I actually get off my ass and go to the gym. I'll probably get some weird looks, but I prefer that to joint injuries.

Good call on the bike/ellipt too, they're both way more fun than running.
    I wear Vibram Five Fingers shoes. I'm to the point I wear them everywhere but at work. I wear the five finger shoes until I get to work, change, then put them back on once I leave work.

My balance is better, my flexibility throughout my legs are better, my stride and gait are better, I don't have any foot pain any more, and there are areas of my foot that used to be tender and flat that are now thick and muscled. I move better on the mat, squat with better form, and am lighter on my feet. My posture is also improved (my anterior pelvic tilt and kyphosis is steadily disappearing).

I'm would lay down money that your overpronation problem will end in 6 months to one year if you get a pair (I wear the sprint ones), spend one month wearing them for an hour a day, then start wearing them everywhere you go. The foot isn't engineered for standard shoes, even though urban living does require them.

Also, girls are really impressed by them. Guys think they look goofy, girls, - particularily hippie, yoga, and outdoor adventure chicks - are enamored by them.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 3:37am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Typical, if I want to buy these in the UK I get stiffed on the price! Only European importer is charging 105 euros, or $165. Oh well, cant afford them at that price!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 8:43am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    Typical, if I want to buy these in the UK I get stiffed on the price! Only European importer is charging 105 euros, or $165. Oh well, cant afford them at that price!!
    See if these guys will ship them to the UK. The sizes are fairly true. It will not feel like they fit right on the little toes, one might really feel like it doesn't fit to the point of discomfort. However, chances are, this sensation will go away the longer you wear them. I had it really bad and almost did not buy a pair. This isn't because the shoes are bad, but because if you have wide feet like me, the little toes are crammed inward, even in shoes that are sized wide. Over time, my toes started opening up as my foot strength and flexibility returned to normal.

http://baumersfootwear.com/product_i...roducts_id=851

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 4:00pm

Style: BJJ,MT,Wrestling,Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Go barefoot when you lift. If that's no an option, Chuck Taylors or Wrestling shoes.

Hey, Chucks are the **** when it comes to workout shoes. :glasses2:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...yeah, that's why I suggested them.
    Last edited by Emevas; 5/25/2008 10:48pm at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 12:00am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back up in your ass with the ressurection

Thread necro: I'm having the same issue, got the Vibram Five Fingers shoes, tried some running on grass, of course do all judo and BJJ bare foot, etc. I have really bad forefoot pronation, but still have arches, so not proper flat feet. This is coupled with me being bow-legged (supporting members can see how much in my training thread if you really care to).

I feel like my feet aren't getting any better, and I'm actually starting to experience knee pain off and on - possibly related (I've noticed it's at its worst when I wear flip-flop shoes for off the mat time in BJJ and Judo, or around the house) -- I'm trying to consciously pay attention to my foot striking whenever I run or walk, maybe there's some kind of ankle weakness etc.?

Anyways, going to the doctor / podiatrist in the next two months is out of the question for me (out of state health insurance via Cobra + travel insurance during job transition period), and I'm just at a loss on what to do. People who have gone the orthotic or insert route -- do you find that it actually helps correct the biomechanics involved so you can strengthen your foot properly, or that it just babies the foot in order to save the knee some grief?

Frustrated.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2009 4:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the OP, the shoes you would want for running would be shoes with lots of stability support and a firm mid-sole. Go to a store that specialized in running and they will pick the appropriate shoe for you. There is no replacement for running. If you wear improper shoes while running, it could lead to future problems.

@u1sseys,

You may need a neutral cushioned shoe. Odds are that you are underpronating. You can do a test by wetting your feet and stepping on some paper and see what type of foot print it leave. Again, go to a good running store and they will determine what you need.

Good running shoes are expensive, but they prevent injury.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast