United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 9:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey, Marines of Bullshido

I'm looking into joining. I've been talking (read: flirting) with a recruiter for the better part of a year, and finally have everything figured out in my head.

I want to be a Marine very badly, which is why i've pursued this branch as opposed to all the others. For a lot of reasons, i'll probably get into at another time.

Anyhow, I want to be a Martial Arts instructor in the Marine Corps. I realize i need a primary MOS, and must spend 2 years in that before i can do something else, but i'm asking:

Have any of you done/know of anyone who has done this?

I'm thinking of picking Electrical Equipment Repair, Computer Repair, or a Videographer.

You know, something that can help me even after i get out of the Marines, anyhow, i guess a second question would be a suggested MOS?

What do you guys (ie, Marines) think of my plan? I know perhaps recruiters would sweeten things up a bit, but i want some no ****, legit answers, if anyone knows any information...

Thank you very much.

Moose

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Former US Navy, stationed with Marines, I hope you can take this with a grain of salt.

Well first of all getting into an electronics field, you will like any Marine qualify in your weapons and MCMAP. From what I was told, there are basic levels, and then if you want more it's kind of an initiative on your part, but not part of the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_...l_Arts_Program

However, I knew knew of one MCMAP instructor in my travels, and he was a Recon marine. You know, special forces. I know with the Navy SEALs, you pick a rating but your main job is as a SEAL, so I may assume it is the same with the Marines. I would say my best recommendation is to go Recon.
    Last edited by Crushing Step; 9/24/2008 10:05pm at .

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you die I'll **** you up.

I'm not saying this cuz I care, I'm saying this because I want an excuse to beat your ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:07pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck man!

Just remember, the needs of the Marine Corps supercede those of the individual Marine. This means, the recruiter may promise you one MOS, but the USMC has a shortage of another MOS, guess what MOS you get? About the only guaranteed MOS is 03.

I have been out for over 10 years now, so maybe some things have changed.

I actually got guaranteed 03, because I didn't want to be in the Marine Corps and have a pogue job. Not with my family history regarding the Corps. I'd never be able to live it down on leave...or for the rest of my life. It sure sucked at times, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

There are other cool jobs too. I was an Embassy Guard as well. And that duty can either be great or a complete Hell depending on your DetCmdr. Plus you get a TS clearance out of the deal, and make lots of good connections if you want to work for the govt when you get out. The Marine Corps didn't really give me and marketable skills for polite society when I got out, so I struggled a bit until I got my degree.

Just remember, you are a quota for the recruiter.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Fist
    Former US Navy, stationed with Marines, I hope you can take this with a grain of salt.

Well first of all getting into an electronics field, you will like any Marine qualify in your weapons and MCMAP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_...l_Arts_Program

However, I knew knew of one MCMAP instructor in my travels, and he was a Recon marine. You know, special forces. I know with the Navy SEALs, you pick a rating but your main job is as a SEAL, so I may assume it is the same with the Marines. I would say my best reccomendation is to go Recon.
    My dad was a Force Recon marine, lol.

Actually, i had a recruiter trying to get me to join the SEALs. No offense, its just not appealing to me.

I'm very good with a rifle and a handgun, i've been brought up around guns my whole life, i feel very comfortable around them.

I talked with my SSGT Crawford about it, he said that when i'm qualified, ie; get my green belt, i believe, i apply for the school. He says its not too difficult to get into, because many people don't go for it, but the training is very tough.

But hey, I really, really want it. I have never quit anything in my life, I'm much too stubborn. Even if i don't become a MA instructor in the Marines, I'll still be doing something i enjoy, and which will help me when i get out of the Marines.

When it comes to MCMAP, i know only what i've read. After talking with a blackbelt instructor, I'm fairly confident i'll be well-prepared to learn what they'll teach me, from a martial standpoint.

First and foremost, i want to be a Marine. My MOS, while i'll like it to be something that has a low risk of me getting killed, doesn't much matter. By signing my name on the dotted line (next to my parents, lol) I'll understand that if i have to, i'll have to fight.

I know that i keep kinda drifting and what not, but i have a lot of thoughts and feelings in my head that i'd like to get out, about this subject.

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Good luck man!

Just remember, the needs of the Marine Corps supercede those of the individual Marine. This means, the recruiter may promise you one MOS, but the USMC has a shortage of another MOS, guess what MOS you get? About the only guaranteed MOS is 03.

I have been out for over 10 years now, so maybe some things have changed.

I actually got guaranteed 03, because I didn't want to be in the Marine Corps and have a pogue job. Not with my family history regarding the Corps. I'd never be able to live it down on leave...or for the rest of my life. It sure sucked at times, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

There are other cool jobs too. I was an Embassy Guard as well. And that duty can either be great or a complete Hell depending on your DetCmdr. Plus you get a TS clearance out of the deal, and make lots of good connections if you want to work for the govt when you get out. The Marine Corps didn't really give me and marketable skills for polite society when I got out, so I struggled a bit until I got my degree.

Just remember, you are a quota for the recruiter.

According to the recruiters i've talked to (and i've talked to several different ones), I pick 3 MOS's. If I can't get into any of those, i don't ship off to boot camp.

However, if the three i pick aren't available, i'll just pick 3 more...

not really feeling the 03 :p.

Embassy duty is something i'd be interested in doing, but i doubt i get that right outta MCT : p.

I agree with moosey

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing the recruiter says to you means ****. Their job is to get you to join.

I've been out longer than Colby, but back then, they offered contracts. That was the only way you were guaranteed a specific MOS.

Whatever you do, make sure your MOS will give you skills that will be useful in the civilian world. I was a grunt. I can dig a mean latrine with nothing more than an e-tool, but that's never going to get me into the Fortune 500. Know what I mean?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you sign up when you're 17, you'll be in the D.E.P. for awhile, which counts towards your 8-yr total contract...

My parents had to sign for me too.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MCMAP SUCKS!

MAC > MCMAP!

Also keep this in mind, You will only be with the Corp a short while so its best to get an MOS that will carry when you get out. A reoccurring theme I see with guys in the military is they get in, do nothing or don't do anything they want to do when they get out, they get out, within a year they are back in again. So its better to gain the job skills and experience while you're in so if you decide to get out you have a career.

As for the fight, EVERYONE regardless of MOS is in the fight.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Gaz said is very, very true. No job will guarantee you no rounds coming at you. Motor-T is probably more dangerous than being a grunt at times...

I had a hard time making ends meet when I got out. I went from bouncing, working at a sand pit to being a self-employed PI/process server until I got my degree. I'd work 80+ hours a week and still carry 3/4 load of an engineering curriculum at school. Talk about burn out.
Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast