Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Neewbie in adelaide

hiya guys

my name is James and i live in adelaide, Australia. I am looking to get back into martial arts having done TKD 2 years ago. I want to get into MMA and into contact fighting, the TKD i did had no contact sparring. Im looking to do Muay thai, boxing, BJJ because i found they have forms of contact sparring. I need people to lead me into the right direction. i need help finding places that train during the day because i work at nights. please lead me in the right direction

thank you in advance

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So jcal_101, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    No gym currently.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi jcal_101,

There are a few posters from around Adelaide, and I'm pretty sure one of them does BJJ.

Here are some threads you might like to read through where people have asked about BJJ/MMA
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=adelaide
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=adelaide
    You might find some relevant info in there.

Welcome Bullshido, good luck finding somewhere to train.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's various Aussies around here, so look at the various forums and keep asking. I like MT, BJJ, Kyokushin karate, and so forth. Though once I worked out with a Aussie who had great kicks and a black belt in a Hawaiian Kempo style he picked up down under.

*edit* way to go sochin, post ahead of me....
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been a few posts about MMA in Adelaide of late, though I'm not sure how many yielded actual results. I think the general consensus was that Adelaide has loads of BJJ and Muay Thai, but not so much together. This may help.

What Adelaide does have (apart from serial killers and churches) that other states don't is an active San Shou scene, so that's pretty rad and worth checking out.

There are loads of awesome Muay Thai gyms there, so I'd definitely recommend checking some of them out, too.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey guys. ive been looking throughout the web and i heard ABS has closed down... very unfortunate for me :(... the other placs im looking at is iso health and nino philla and there is a place at elizabeth that does MT. i live in paralowie so i dont really want to train at flinders lol. i also saw some Kyokushin Karate dojos near my area so i might look at that. but i would be estatic to get into some amateur competitions that would be sweet.
    thanks for the help so far
    let me know of other places

James

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ISO has a really good rep and I know they compete. Nino Pilla is a pretty big name is Australian martial arts, but I'm not sure if they have a fight team, so I'd ask them about that. Also, on their timetable page, it says "MMA (Jeet Kune Do Concepts)". I don't know heaps about JKD (except that it varies a lot from instructor to instructor) but I'm not sure you can get a rounded MMA game for the ring/cage from just JKD. Maybe someone who knows more can comment further on that.

Is the Elizabeth gym Sunrise Pradel Serey? I know they compete, so that's good.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh ok yeah ill definitely scope out iso and the MT place is sunrise so ill scope that out to... i went to the nina pilla site and i saw the MMA JKD concepts.... and i was hesitant because of that. even though they say JKD is an awesome art, the only person to truly utilize it was Bruce Lee himself. but i could be wrong.

any further info would be helpful and apprieciated

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'll leave the JKD stuff to someone who knows more about it. I do know other MT places in Adelaide, but they're all way further south than you. The closest I know of apart from Sunrise would be this, which I guess is near ISO (don't know Adelaide well). They have some pretty solid fighters, I believe.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok cool ill scope the places out

if anyone has more info let me know

ill keep you guys updated on my happenings

take care :)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last