Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 4:48pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For the California dudes

Crossposted from FMAtalk

A challenge has been presented to the FMA community in the form of a tournament. In February of 2009 in Anaheim, California at the USFMAF tournament there will be an open padded weapons division. CHANBARA (a Japanese fighting organization) members will fight FMA fighters in tournament.

There will be in late August 2008 in Southern California, a clinic on the rules of the tournament. Members of USFMAF and Chanbara will meet for some friendly sparring and a roll out of the rules. The final date and location will be announced soon.
    This is from the Chanbara web site: Historically, the sword was employed in battle, as well as knives, spears and staves and today these weapons are still as harmful as they were thousands of years ago. The introduction of new age materials enables the traditionalist or combatant to efficiently and safely train for combat or a martial arts tournament.
    The five traditional weapons used in Chanbara tournaments and sparring are:
    Tanto (18-inch knife)Kodachi (24-inch short sword)Choken (40-inch long sword)Yari/naginata (6-foot spear)Jo and Bo (4-5-6-foot staff)
    The following five different weapons used in Chanbara are very unique in that they are used for varying lines of defense and attack.
    The USFMAF is looking to the FMA community for fighters to come out a show the world that FMA is superior to the Chanbara/Japanese fighting system. All FMA padded weapons will be allowed. That means Bankaw (spear) & Kampilan (long sword), double olisi (stick) short and long stick and Espada (sword) y daga (knife) can all be used. There is also discussion about the use of agong (shield) in play.
    Fore more information contact USFMAF President Darren Tibon @ [angels.disciples@sbcglobal.net] or Regional Sports Organizer Marc Lawrence @ mjlawrence@sbcglobal.net.
    More information see: http://www.usfmaf.org web site or go to www.pakamut-fma-torrance

Marc Lawrence
    Master
    PAKAMUT-Torrance
    www.pakamut-fma-torrance.com

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:58am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, I'll try to make it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 2:08am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chanbara is the gayest thing I've ever seen.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 2:14am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm really curious to hear the ruleset before I get excited about this.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 7:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I've been looking for. I dislike those particular weapons except for some drilling applications, but I deal with them for doing larry's tournament and such. As long as the rules don't have some rule to the effect that only mega-commited attacks a la kendo count as hits, I think i'd be ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 9:21am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't "chanbara" the Japanese term for samurai movies? This will either be awesome or larpy. If some people from San Diego are willing to split the gas I'd be interested in checking it out.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 9:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's apparently also a sport weapons fighting ruleset in japan, if youtube informs me correctly.

Note, the organizer guy said that while the chanbarra guys will use their usual padded weapons(which are actionflexish), since it's an open weapons tournament, they'll be allowing pretty much any brand of padded weapon as long as it's got no obvious saftey no-no's. Smak stiks were specifically mentioned as an alternative, and I'm asking about the All Things Filipino and Lameco ones.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 10:18am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm telling you guys it is a colossal waste of time. I went to a seminar awhile back where they were introducing this stuff. I actually laughed in the instructors face. (yes sometimes I'm an asshole in real life). I told him I have no respect for somebody pawning this point sparring crap as a real martial art. They didn't invite me back the next year. I wonder why?

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't got an explanation from the dudes. The rules are also being set by the FMA guy, and it's being billed as a chanbarra vs FMA thing, as opposed to a to a straight chabarra event. I'm just a sucker for style vs style **** when it comes to weapons.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 10:29am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have to be a Fillipino or Japanese student to compete? Or can you be a Big white guy with no weapons training who wants to beat the **** out of some kids with padded weapons?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast