Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:23am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joslinís Isshinryu Karate

A family member recently revealed to me that she is taking karate. I asked her which one and she told Isshinryu Karate. I don't know anything about Isshinryu at all and I'm not able to attend one of her classes, so I inquired about what she does during a typical class. She briefly told me about some self-defense sets they have to memorize, katas and how her instructor wants her to enter a local competition for her kata.

Anyway, I looked up her school's website and found some info on the class and instructors. If you know someting about this school/martial art, I'd be interested to see if it's legit.

http://www.greatkarate.com/instructor_djoslin.php

Thanks!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:26am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not post this in MABS unless you have enough evidence to specificaly accuse an instructor of Bullshido.

As for Isshin-ryu, we are not here to do your research for you. If you want to know more on the style, post a request for information in the JMA forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked it up in the Wikipedia so I got the overall impression of the art. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this instructors linages looks good, which is why I linked the instructor page. Feel free to move this post.
    Last edited by Valiss; 5/14/2008 10:43am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:46am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay you should know by now wiki is good for Science and Math. That's about it.

The Martial art pages are mainly advertisements for certain styles at best and bullshit at worst.

That isn't research. Also, MABS is for someone who may or may not be Bullshido and at least warrants (debatable) an investigation

It isn't for lineage checks or is this dojo okay questions.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:47am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, the server seems to be down. Probably a short term glitch. Google Cache got me a copy of the page.

Few issues, one the association with the Educational Funding Company (EFC) incredibly adhesive contracts, hope your family member doesn't change her mind cause shes in this for at least a year.

Multiple Martial Arts hall of fame inductions..... not necessarily bad, but speaks to resume padding.

With the site down, or my internet flaking out whichever, I can't get much more for you. It looks like your average strip mall Karate place. If your family member is looking for self defense, maybe the kickboxing? If she is just looking for low contact martial arts, eh.

Check the price, get more info, and get back to us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Ok, the server seems to be down. Probably a short term glitch. Google Cache got me a copy of the page.

Few issues, one the association with the Educational Funding Company (EFC) incredibly adhesive contracts, hope your family member doesn't change her mind cause shes in this for at least a year.

Multiple Martial Arts hall of fame inductions..... not necessarily bad, but speaks to resume padding.

With the site down, or my internet flaking out whichever, I can't get much more for you. It looks like your average strip mall Karate place. If your family member is looking for self defense, maybe the kickboxing? If she is just looking for low contact martial arts, eh.

Check the price, get more info, and get back to us.
    Hey, thanks for the info. The site seems to work for me and they have a nifty flow chart of thier linage here (http://www.greatkarate.com/masters.php), which doesn't mean much to me - hahaha! I guess it's some TMA, however my only concern is whether she is taking someting that could at least provide a little self-defence. Though they don't appear to do any groundwork, I can't help but think that something is better than nothing. Thank again for your insight!

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:12am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not only familiar with the school, but one of my good friends and training partners is a teacher there!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    Im not only familiar with the school, but one of my good friends and training partners is a teacher there!
    I take it that means you give them a thumbs up? Cool, thank you.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:27am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as TMA schools go, this school is excellent. Its not my cup of tea, but as far as schools go its a great school with great teachers. They put alot of emphasis on technique and conditioning.

Also she will not find any 'chi fire ball' type TMA bs here. This is a Okinawan type art, so there is equal parts training and discipline. I have sat in on a few classes and I actualy was impressed with some of the warm ups. I have also sparred with a few of there members.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:29am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiss
    Hey, thanks for the info. The site seems to work for me and they have a nifty flow chart of thier linage here (http://www.greatkarate.com/masters.php), which doesn't mean much to me - hahaha! I guess it's some TMA, however my only concern is whether she is taking someting that could at least provide a little self-defence. Though they don't appear to do any groundwork, I can't help but think that something is better than nothing. Thank again for your insight!
    It looks like an okay school. What is she paying per month?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast