Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Plus Martial Arts Academy - Pasadena, MD

A Plus Martial Arts Academy is a great place for instruction. The adult class sizes are not too big allowing for good individual and specialized instruction. The master is a great teacher with extensive experience and an excellent demeanor. Other students are very helpful and friendly while maintaining serious training bearing...no attitudes allowed. Compared to other facilities that I have observed and trained at, A Plus Martial Arts Academy ranks above all of them.

A-plus Martial Arts Academy offers a number of different programs specializing in Tae Kwon Do. The school offers pre-school, children's, teens, and adult classes focusing on fitness and black belt training. Recently, the school has added Kickboxing to the programs offered with classes to start soon (June 2008). The physical benefits of Tae Kwon Do include strength, endurance, energy, muscle control and flexibility. Mentally, the self-confidence and self-discipline will lead to good judgment and positive goal setting. The practice of Taekwondo reduces stress and promotes the harmonious development of the mind, body and spirit. The esteemed instructor, Master Sung Lee is a three-time Korean National Champion and a 6th Degree Black Belt Master. An instructor of the World Tae Kwon Do Federation, he was a member of the 1993-1995 Korean Demonstration Team. He also holds a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Judo and a 1st Degree black Belt in Hapkido. The Academy is open 6 days a week with classes running from 4:10 to 7:55 on weekdays and from 10:30 to 2:10pm on Saturday.
    Last edited by d3monch1ld; 5/14/2008 11:27am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A plus has an FC team? That's news to me. What events have they competed in?

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    A plus has an FC team? That's news to me. What events have they competed in?
    I'm not sure... I've only been there a few months but I was just told at class last week that there is a team and they are competing soon. I'll get more details and re-post.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to revise your review. You haven't even told us what systems they teach, who their associated with, or anything of any substantial information.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    You need to revise your review. You haven't even told us what systems they teach, who their associated with, or anything of any substantial information.
    Thanks! Cut and paste didn't take the first time...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please read this post Ratings and You - Read This Before Posting Your Review - No BS Martial Arts and then revise your review appropriately.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit their history takes a very non biased look at Taekwondo. I like it.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read that thread before posting...what is your comment in reference to? If you have attended the school and want to put up a different rating...feel free to do so. In line with the guide provided, I made an honest assessment. Thanks for the feedback.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aliveness and Striking are my only concerns.

Aliveness - in looking at the website I did not see a listing for any sparring classes. If there is no sparring or very light no-touch point sparring, your aliveness should be 1-4.

Striking - 6-10 means you have guys who compete at some level and you have a competent striking instructor. Flashy kicks, back hand strikes, and chambered thrust punch from a static form ARE NOT "competent striking instruction".

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 2:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Aliveness and Striking are my only concerns.

Aliveness - in looking at the website I did not see a listing for any sparring classes. If there is no sparring or very light no-touch point sparring, your aliveness should be 1-4.

Striking - 6-10 means you have guys who compete at some level and you have a competent striking instructor. Flashy kicks, back hand strikes, and chambered thrust punch from a static form ARE NOT "competent striking instruction".

I understand your concerns for the sake of standardization. All classes have sparring elements to them depending on the goal(s) for the day. There is no contact sparring, light to medium contact sparring, and full-contact sparring (less kicks to the head) in full sparring gear. The master and assistant instructor(s) teaches sparring technique regularly. Many classes also incorporate Ssireum (Korean Wrestling) matches as an extra confidence builder and break from the normal routine. The "Aliveness" of the facility is high. And "Striking" is taught and practiced for competition level. The academy does have a competition team (or members who compete) and also sponsors an annual in-house full contact sparring competition (nothing from static form). Speaking from experience...I still have brusies from the most recent competition.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast