• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 3:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey i was just wondering if ne one here takes/took hapkido, and peoples opinions on it. I started recently, so ne tips would also be appreciated. Thanx in advance

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapkido is a pretty good style to learn from. Although there kicks may not be too useful on the streets. I mean those high kicks. But overall its a pretty good art. Its based on Aiki-jujitsu.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not my primary study but we include some in our training. It's pretty good but I'm not a big fan of joint locks (specificly wrist locks) or pressure points too much. They are pretty inefective against me. Maybe I'm just a freak with flexible joints and my pressure points are located in odd places but I tend to think that there is enough variety between people that as often as it will work it will fail.
  4. Michael

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technically I've done Hapkido, I just chose never to ranked in it. Hapkido is a more self-defense approach to Taekwondo in my book. Like any other system it depends upon the instructor. I usually use the wristlocks when I have to secure somebody during security work (did that sound redundant?)

Two guys walk into a bar....ouch that's gotta hurt.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do hapkido. It is a good art as long as you can think outside of the box and use learn to adapt the techniques to different scenarios.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 4:01pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear there is a lot of backstabbing in the Hapkido community. But, basically it's a darn good self-defense system. Haven't you ever heard of the infamous BILLY JACK! He kicks ass!

Heavyweight Bone Crushing Muther Fucka!

Edited by - balloonknot on October 29 2002 15:13:12

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice it and have been very impressed with the techniques . I think there are a fair amount of McDojangs out there though. A lot of TKD schools claim to teach HKD as part of their cirriculum but they are different arts.
    If you want an ecletic art with a fair amount of striking and throws its going to be a good fit.
    Some schools seem to be more Judo oriented and others Aikido in some of their techniques so this is something to look into as a personal preference.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    10/29/2002 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As with any other MA I'd say the biggest tip would be to be serious about stretching outside of class. This will yield the biggest and earliest benefits