Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 7:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido/BJJ/Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All Range Self Defense has to be a McDojo??!?!?

I spotted this originally on youtube then went to the site. I didnt find it here via the search function so i decided I'd post it and see what happens.

http://www.allrangeselfdefense.com/

Basically my only comment is: WTF??!! You have got to be kidding me!

does anyone know anything about this "all-range" martial art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 8:05am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other than the promise of a practical self defense system, the lack of enthusiasm in the videos and the instructor's beer belly, I don't see anything wrong with this school.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No long-term contracts, so probably not a McDojo. (McDojo refers to predatory pricing — long-term contracts, belt testing fees, mandatory equipment purchases from an in-house source, etc.)

YMAS please.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 8:35am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I just threw up a little in the back of my mouth while watching his knife defence clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo08ROskSSo

How many friggin' times do I have to watch this sort of dumb-assery, where the entire technique could be foiled by having the attacker stab twice?

(also loved the one handed wrist lock that casually drives the attacker to the ground, and the craptacular juji)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 8:37am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to this site:

http://www.jhoonrheetkdrrwest.com/instructors.html

Mr. Kasper is an assistant instructor at Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do. And fom the looks of it teaches out of the "Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do" school as a self-defense instructor. Further, the head honcho of the school, Mr. Pruett:

has 16 years of Martial Arts experience, he began his training in Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do in 1991 with Master Jose Santa maria in Austin Texas, and has been teaching since 1994. He is a certified Black Belt instructor by Grand Master Jhoon Rhee, the "Father of American Tae Kwon Do". Mr. Pruett has a passion for teaching martial arts and enjoys seeing his students grow as they work toward their black belt.
    Last edited by MastaFighta; 5/14/2008 8:43am at .

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually think this could qualify as a McDojo. Maybe not to the end user, but definitely to those who wish to open up a Jhoon Rhee TKD school. This guy is like the sledge-o-matic salesman of TKD schools. Observe his site, and his quick path to becoming an instructor. This is the kind of guy that encourages McDojos to flourish and spawns them off as often as possible, with the intent of skimming off the top most likely.

http://www.jhoonrhee.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:38am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't appear to be a McDojo but I'm hoping that the clips weren't examples of their best students.

In addition, I didn't see much TKD.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:45am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Horrible techniques shown on the videos. Did you all check out the bull rush video? Or the rear choke? I don't know how to embed videos, but check them out. Completely impractical.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like a hodgepodge, though an effective one for the casual seeker of self-defense.

The "rear choke" is just a modified Shoulder Throw I've seen in many styles, and I believe was in J.J. Machado's video "Fit to Defend".

The "bull rush" was a low side kick (JKD, Wing Chun) to a knee to the face, though executed poorly.

The "knife stab" was a pendulum step (JKD) to a wrist-lock takedown (almost every grappling style) to an armbar to a keylock, no harm there I think. I've seen excellent one-handed wrist locks from Small-Circle practitioners (Wally and Leon Jay), would it work against Anderson Silva... of course not; but against the common thug, it should.

The "headlock defense" was almost straight Krav Maga, though poorly executed. It looks like a new class, so the students are maybe beginners.

The "front choke" was a Krav Maga "plucking" defense with a wrist lock takedown, though again poorly executed.

You can tell the instructor is trying to bridge striking and grappling at least. Does he look like a UFC champ, of course not; but that's not what the site pretends to be either. As a business model, definitely doesn't strike me as a McDojo.

I think in this case... vids need work, but no harm; anyone know how much they charge?

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDojo or not, those techniques are far from acceptable, especially the grappling. his arm bar isn't even finishable, given the direction of the opponents thumb. I will brand this Bullshido, and it doesn't even appear like they are believing their own hype, giggling through the videos. It seems pretty clear that this is a few friends trying to start an enterprise by reading through some books, watching some videos, and calling themselves experts.

It's in YMAS anyway now, where it probably belongs. So everyone shred it for what it is, and lets see if we can get their attention.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast